Too much? Clashing styles
ottawanyc
November 24, 2012 in Design Dilemma
In a small NYC condo that is new, so clean lines and contemporary finishing. Severely lacking storage though so are looking for a large unit with doors and are having problems finding anything that is not really cottage/rustic. Problem is that the kitchen is all an off-white gloss so am worried that a big wood cabinet in the corner would clash. Best we can find is a Timothy Oulton unit: http://www.timothyoulton.com/products/fridgey-1-door-tall-left-hand-cabinet-tavern

Any thoughts on whether this would just be too much of a contrast in a contemporary place?? Any other suggestions appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenthumb2
what if you found a great looking newer refrigerator and took the seal off the door? So, it has air circulation for contents. And obviously, you wouldn't plug it in. Remove coils off back of it, and remove cord. Instant cabinet. Edgy, interesting, a real conversation piece. probably cheaper than a collectible wood fridgey cabinet and would give you twice the storage capacity....

weird idea, right?
3 Likes   November 24, 2012 at 10:10PM
Darzy
I like the idea you have but I'm thinking this cabinet is not quite right with your off white gloss cabinets. This may sound weird, but if you want to go wood, how about something really carved and ornate to really accentuate the modern/old vibe. Can you post a kitchen picture for more ideas? Antique armoirs can be picked up for two or three hundred bucks.
0 Likes   November 24, 2012 at 11:58PM
ottawanyc
Thanks Darzy. The reason this one was the top choice - amongst the many wood contenders - is that it is at least sleek, with very nice reclaimed wood. So actually shows a bit better than what the picture gives it credit for. But, I certainly don't love it, but everything else seems so cottagy. Any examples of what you mean?? Here is picture of the kitchen. The unit would be in the opposite corner, separated by the entrance door.

Thanks!!!
0 Likes   November 25, 2012 at 7:08AM
yvonnecmartin
Ikea might have something that you would like.
0 Likes   November 25, 2012 at 12:52PM
Darzy
I think with the clean, modern lines of your kitchen, a cabinet with clean, straight lines would be best instead of this one with rounded edges. I do think a wood cabinet would look interesting if you're repeating the reclaimed wood element elsewhere in your condo for cohesiveness. But, I think I'd contact the builder and install the same kitchen cabinetry floor to ceiling where you want the "fridge" to be. This will coordinate with the kitchen and provide you maximum storage. (you may need a step ladder for the top tho!)
1 Like   November 25, 2012 at 2:16PM
victorianbungalowranch
I would also consider extending your existin kitchen cabinets up for even more storage, hopefully for stuff you don't use very often.
0 Likes   November 25, 2012 at 2:46PM