Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chicagogreendesign

Very interesting opaque roof?, Love it....What is it made of?

3 - Portola Valley Residence · More Info

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Chicago Green Design Inc.
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the info. Great looking project
  • longislandgirl
    10 years ago
    Hi,
    WIll this roofing material be strong enough to hold chicago snow ???? Thanks. :) Jennifer
  • PRO
    HighEnd Solutions (Skylights, Canopies & Knotwood
    10 years ago
    http://gallinausa.com is another. Yes structural poly carbonate can be stronger than glass just not as clear. I prefer glass though. To a of make ups of poly carb or glass are out there.
  • robertofsherwoodengland
    10 years ago
    If this outdoor terrace was made in Japan, and named "The Inner Temple To the Zenist God", then everyone would swoon over it - which is totally unfair to the creators and builders - it's American, it's simple, it's great, it's grand, And I Love it!
  • raspfire
    10 years ago
    How do you keep the roof clean?
  • Cara Cunningham
    9 years ago
    This is of concern to me too! My husband told me he grew up with a similar patio roof that often showed the leaves and debris that gathered on it.
  • Vijay Venkatesh
    8 years ago

is the polycarbonate / skylight material in this structure water proof, or does rainwater drip through? Also, was a water drainage system/gutter needed for this particular patio roof structure? Thanks

• PRO
    Stoecker and Northway Architects, Inc.
    8 years ago

Hi Vijay,

The translucent roof panel system is water tight and does not allow water to drip through. I believe at the edges of the eaves, we did install a gutter with downspout/rain water leader. The side that slopes towards the house roof, water would have drained onto the main roof with diverters to direct the water to the gutters.

Hope this helps!

• PRO
    Tamura Designs
    6 years ago

Any recommendation for contractor who has work with this type in installation in the bay area?