Need general great room help
cindyg0831
Bought new oversized sofa. Love it but I feel my current, colors, drapes, arangement...somthing is not making a dramatic statment about this huge and luxurious sofa. BTW it is too large to place in front of fireplace, juts into doorsways to keeping room and kitchen. Two levels of windows above sofa.
laraunatin74
The room is a bit cluttered to notice your beautiful couch. I would put the couch on the opposite side of where you have it now. Leave only three of your biggest throw pillows on the couch. Put the two chairs in front of the window and bring them closer together and put the table with the lamp between them. Do away with the shelf and magazine rack underneath the staircase, the big square table between the two chairs, the small round table, magazine rack on the floor of the fireplace, and the flower vase on the floor next to the buffet table.
Less is always more. You have a beautiful home!
November 25, 2012 at 10:11am     
cindyg0831
Thanks for the input! I have been thinking even before the new sofa that some stuff needed to go! Pillows too. Thanks
November 25, 2012 at 11:58am   
houssaon
I agree with laraunatin74 assesment. You could also do all that was recommended but leave the couch in front to fhte windows, but pull it into the room more. Put the leather chair and ottoman by the fireplace and the cream chair where the leather one was.
November 25, 2012 at 12:04pm     
collettec
I agree with other's assessments about clearing some items, including some that appear too small for the space. For the area around the couch, I think it might help to have darker drapes with more substance. The current color tends to blend into the wall.
November 25, 2012 at 12:14pm     
cindyg0831
Any drape ideas? I don't know if I need drama or simple. I go back and foth. Pic attached but you have to click on it to see the upper windows.
November 25, 2012 at 12:23pm   
Dar Eckert
Try turning your rug 90 degrees. That will change the shape of the living room. Try again putting the sofa opposite the fireplace. Leave enough room to walk behind the sofa. Then put a chair near the windows and one on the side opposite the windows.

I think your living room is lovely.
November 25, 2012 at 12:24pm   
cindyg0831
EMZC my fear from the start is that I did not have the right scale...some stuff too big for room and some stuff too small. Which items do you specifically think are too small?
November 25, 2012 at 12:26pm   
cindyg0831
Dar Eckert. LOVE the idea od turning the rug. Maybe the sofa WOULD work opposite if I did that. Excited! Will try.
November 25, 2012 at 12:29pm   
Dar Eckert
Me too!
November 25, 2012 at 12:36pm   
collettec
Yes, I can see what you mean and can see what you mean about the two level windows - couldn't see them and thought they were more of a skylight originally. In that case, I don't think it would help to go too dark with the drapes in order for the upper and lower windows to still connect to each other visually. Perhaps something like a rich cream color in a silk or a faux silk might be something to consider.
November 25, 2012 at 12:38pm   
houssaon
I think I would do a wine tone or one with stripes. When you hang them, hang one ring outside the mounting bracket. This pair has a stripe sheer:
November 25, 2012 at 12:42pm   
houssaon
If you are going to try different layouts, make a scale drawing 1 inch to 1 foot. Make sure to indicate doorways, the fireplace, and the window. Cut out the shapes and sizes of the rug, the chairs and other major pieces of furniture. Then you can save your back moving it aroun on paper first.
November 25, 2012 at 12:46pm   
collettec
Didn't see your other question, so will just add regarding smaller items. I think the two items to either side of your television are too small. I think that two matching items to either side, perhaps something larger vases or candlesticks might be something to consider. I think the buffet table on the buffet table near the stairs is too small and you could remove the small item under the mirror and at least one of the other decorative items. Same with the items on the credenza, would remove about half of them so that you can really see and focus on the art and other items. The floral display on the table in front of the sofa is too small for the space.
November 25, 2012 at 12:48pm   
cindyg0831
Ooh I like the darker color! Really brings out the red brown in my rug. Thanks houss.aon
November 25, 2012 at 12:48pm   
cindyg0831
Emzc-Got it. I have more thngs that are too small than things that are too large. I have been too afraid of big things. It really is a very big room. I should not be afraid. Thanks so much.
November 25, 2012 at 12:54pm   
collettec
Wanted to amend my response regarding size items, (that's what you get for not edit checking!), meant the buffet table lamp on the buffet table is too small, not the table itself!
November 25, 2012 at 12:58pm   
Like the sofa (kidney style) and I agree with you it should have center stage. As suggested above, way too many things in the room. My thought is you have too may corners and need more round and ovals, particularly the coffee table. Lighten up the look and keep in mind the 1960's when your sofa style was very popular.

'
November 25, 2012 at 1:05pm   
anitajoyce
To me, the nice sofa seems lost in the room. Maybe if you place it facing the fireplace it will stand out better. If you place it closer to the fireplace, it maybe ok by the two doorways. You could turn the rug the other way, this will help also. Next choice is to have the sofa and coffee table face the window for the nice view. Place the brown chair and ottoman in the corner on the right of the window and the arm chair on the left of the window . Place the round brown side table between the two chairs. Remove all but 4 of the nice pillows on the sofa. Remove some of the many lamps, fake plants and nic-naks . Replace the panels with panels in tan or brown . Use the two tall lamps by the windows and replace the shades with ones that match in color . Remove lamps from the sideboard in the back and in the corner.
November 25, 2012 at 1:06pm   
Madeline
I have only a few things to say because all of the above seem spot on. You have a lovely room and it needs to be curated. I also think you should raise the curtain rod when (if) you replace your curtains. Lastly I love your coffee table but I can't help coming back to the thought that a beautiful glass table would look smashing in your room. Good luck and have fun, madeline
November 25, 2012 at 1:09pm   
cindyg0831
So many great ideas. I am inspired. I have already started removing some nicknacks and other things sitting around. The first big thing I will try is turning rug and trying sofa facing fireplace again. If this does not work, what is the consensus about the back of the couch facing the stairway (and the foyer that is behind the stairs). I don't have a problem with it and it would take advantage of the view from the windows but my dh thinks you shouldn't enter to the back of the sofa. I am already on the search for a beautiful round or oval glass coffee table. Once I get it all put together I will repost as a before and after!
November 25, 2012 at 1:19pm   
anitajoyce
Try the sofa different ways and see what you like. Should be ok with the sofa back facing stairs. Behind the sofa ,you could place a narrow table and place a small plant and some candles on top and it would be nice. The sofa by the stairs would act as a wall to square off and define the space.
November 25, 2012 at 1:28pm   
cindyg0831
anitajoyce-maybe I could turn the narrow bookcase next to the stairs around and use it behind the sofa if I turn the sofa towards the windows. That would give me something behind the sofa and free up the space in the walk through for instead of having both.
November 25, 2012 at 1:35pm   
anitajoyce
That was My thought also. Great minds think alike! :) Don't forget to post pictures.
November 25, 2012 at 1:37pm   
Need help with this room, paint color and ideas in general.
This is a clients very old feeling room that needs...
Need help making my great room great - please help!
I have a kitchen / living combo room. It's West facing...
Living room: new colors in general - advice & opinions needed :)
I'm really tired of my "red & black" phase. Any recommendations...
TV is a bit wider than the fireplace
We just re-did the fireplace and planning to mount...
Entrance to pool area...
We tried growing grass over the covers of our septic...
Need help with TV wall.
Not sure if pictures should go on either side of TV....
Do you sleep with blackout curtains?
Are you enjoying the bright nights? Although the shortest...
Empty kitchen - new possibilities
We just got an allotment garden house! The next challenge...