Kitchen Remodel
dwill08
I love white kitchens, but not this type of white kitchen. This kitchen is really ugly, and we are doing our bathroom right first. I want suggestions for quick and simple updates to make this kitchen pretty until I change it.
wyo47
What is that tan color board on the ceiling?
Looks like you need a frig...if you can also buy a new dishwasher...stainless steel for botyh would be an automatic uplift. Looks like the adjoining room has brownish color walls...maybe use that color (if it's going to saty) and paint the kitchen cabinet molding in that same color, including the crown molding on the top of the cabinets snd get new hardware. Use a nice bright color for kitcehn curtains...one that will tie into what ever room it is you took the photo from.
Doen't look like you can do anything with the backsplash until you get going on the kitchen...looks like tiles?

This kitchen isn't ugly, just a strange set up...wish we could see a photo taken from the door also.
November 25, 2012 at 10:18am     
BCB Decor
Change the appliances to stainless steel, change hardware to a large 6" pull and change the sink as well. Call color to a pale gray will make it look fresh Nd updated. The appliances and sink you can always keep for your final kitchen upgrade. Hope this helps!
November 25, 2012 at 10:21am     
sashblossom
agreed on appliances since that investment will work for your redo- for now, I would go for a pop of color on a valance and accent a few things on top of cabinets and on countertop
November 25, 2012 at 10:25am     
I would plan, when you can afford it, a new countertop and paint job. The white cabinets are completely neutral and have the potential to look nice in the right surroundings, but that beigey- tan color on the counters and walls isn't doing anything for the room. Either a dark counter for contrast or a mid-tone granite or quartz with some pretty shading (grays, golds, greens--just something that will make a pretty accent) would do wonders. Agree with others that SS appliances will provide nice accents to the white.
November 25, 2012 at 10:31am     
Southern Blinds & Shutters
You can also add color to your windows and door either with roman shades or woven woods. It would definitely add to your kitchen. Roman shades come in a variety of colors and textured fabrics. Woven woods also come in different natural colors such as a bamboo shade. Hope this helps!
November 25, 2012 at 10:44am   
Tukasa Creations, Inc.
I will paint the dark color that is on the back window! Continue same color into the kitchen walls! Install new dish washer stainless steel a microwave stainless steel on top of the stove area and a slide in stove with buttons on the front (flat slide in) install a glass mosaic at back splash! (Stove area)Remove fruit tiles and install same pieces of glass mosaic to replace the fruit. Change the window covering to a nice shades made by hunter Douglas I will use pirouette's they are beautiful!!
November 25, 2012 at 10:48am     
Nadejda Hristova
just paint the kitchen cabinets in some funny darker color - it is easy, the walls are nice and no need to change the surroundings , neither appliances - we have done this in very small space .was very nice ... for example red or green cabinets , after you have the $ , do all , just doing partially do not work-:) ... seems the cabinets are not decent quality to me and the white seems sort of out of place with the countratop, could be cabinets are simply old ..this white kitchen stinks so much as it is all about the cabinets ....-:)
November 25, 2012 at 11:28am     
Dar Eckert
Maybe you could bring in some stainless steel by putting in a stainless steel backsplash. Looks like you could get some rectangular pieces that can be put over the tile. I would check into painting the countertop. They have some great paints including some with different colored specks in them. I would check with paint store on your options. A dark brown on the walls would be great.
November 25, 2012 at 12:04pm     
Tukasa Creations, Inc.
Well, painting the cabinets will be way to expensive than painting walls if you want to spend extra money? I will change the counter top and install quartz like Cambria or Caesar stone!
November 25, 2012 at 12:20pm     
dwill08
I just purchased this home, and I will be moving in on Friday. We are in the process of remodeling a bathroom...the cabinet installer comes on Monday. We cannot really go for a complete overhaul as I am still debating over taking out a wall between the kitchen and a "formal" living room.

The tan thing on the kitchen ceiling is an old fluorescent light. This home has been unoccupied for a while, and it is really dingy.

I have been researching painting the countertops, but that seems extremely time consuming and tedious. I am afraid that it might be over my DIY abilities.
November 25, 2012 at 5:32pm   
dwill08
Oh yeah, I am purchasing a new stainless steel refrigerator, but I did not plan on purchasing a new dishwasher. I will start researching a cheaper model refrigerator and stainless steel dishwasher. The kitchen also has white double ovens near the entry and a built in JennAir cooktop. Both of these items are pretty pricey, so they will be purchased later as well.
November 25, 2012 at 5:36pm   
Pam Davis
Check into painting the appliances that you have. There are appliance paints that would transform them alot cheaper than replacing them. You could get a stainless panel to cover the dishwasher for now. Maybe do the same for the other appliances at least temporarily.
November 25, 2012 at 5:47pm     
dwill08
Hi friends, I went ahead and made some updates. I painted the countertops, purchased stainless steel appliances, updated some lighting, and hung a valence. Let me know what you think!
April 22, 2013 at 3:47pm     
Tukasa Creations, Inc.
I think you did a wonderful job! Darkening the counter tops make a huge difference! Congratulations!
April 23, 2013 at 5:00am     
handymam
The dark countertops really brought the room to life! Love the valances too. Good job!
April 23, 2013 at 5:22am     
dwill08
Thanks @tukasa creations and handyman
April 23, 2013 at 8:25pm     
jodyblonde65
how did you paint the counter tops?? i love it. i have formica yellow. id love to change that. was your counters butcher block?
April 23, 2013 at 8:44pm     
Angela Pineiro
Great job!
April 23, 2013 at 10:12pm     
dwill08
@jodyblonde I found this lady on pinterest who did it. I used rust oleum paint, and a product, envirotec lite. I will try to find the link on this iPad.
April 23, 2013 at 10:16pm   
dwill08
@angela thanks
April 23, 2013 at 10:16pm   
April 23, 2013 at 10:18pm   
Asbestos Tile? What did you do with yours?
There is asbestos tile in two rooms of our home over...
Roof height with exposed trusses 2.5 or 3
Worried about our roof height of 3m with exposed trusses....
How do I fill this empty space?
We have about a foot of clear space above the refrigerator...
Powder Room Update: Need Advice
We are changing the floor to multi-color slate and...
Sky tubes
Anyone have experience with and opinion of sky tubes....