Kitchen without much natural light
van1116
I was wondering whether dark cabinets in a kitchen with very little natural light will look too dark without having to add a lot of lights. My closest window is 20 ft away from the kitchen opening and I worry if my cabinets are too dark then my space will be too dark or can I lighten it up with flooring or paint colors or some other option. I ask because I like gold granite types and they seem to look better with darker wood cabinets. I don't want to paint the wood.
I believe it will look dark, but there are so many lighting options out there! Start with recessed lighting, think of pendants if you have an island, then go to undercabinet lighting.
0 Likes   November 26, 2012 at 2:44AM
nassland
Choose what you love. You will always be happy. We have a dark kitchen,too. There not much you can do with a dark kitchen, but turn on the lights. So get some funky lights.
0 Likes   November 26, 2012 at 7:23AM
I agree if there's not much you can do when the room is dark to begin with and it's not possible to add skylight or additional windows, except to add more artificial lights, therefore dark or light cabinets would work.

1 Like   November 26, 2012 at 7:52AM
van1116
I like light so much that I worry about relying on mostly artificial light. I would always have all the lights on. All other rooms in the house have plenty of light...except the kitchen which is in the center of the house. If lighter cabinets will help lighten the room then I may have to look into different granite colors. The brightness of the room is more important. Most of the kitchens I've seen have windows so I didn't have a comparison on a windowless kitchen with the dark cabinets to tell how much it darkens the space.
0 Likes   November 26, 2012 at 10:24AM
Is it possible to do a skylight?
0 Likes   November 26, 2012 at 12:13PM
van1116
no...it's on the first floor of a two story house. it's to the right the family room which has windows and next to the keeping area which has windows....but I'm not sure how much of that light will make it into the kitchen.
0 Likes   November 26, 2012 at 12:55PM
Judy M
I also have a partially interior kitchen, (2 story house) as we have a family room off the kitchen. I added an interior window on the wall between my kitchen and dining room, to let in some light from the dining room. If you type in "interior window" in the photo search, you'll see examples of the look.
I did use lighter color cabinets and wood floor in my kitchen and have both undercabinet lighting and recessed pot lights.
0 Likes   November 26, 2012 at 1:10PM
van1116, well heck then, just knock a wall down !!! I'm kidding, but judym has a great idea.
0 Likes   November 26, 2012 at 1:43PM
van1116
Thanks everyone...I will also try and post a picture or a rough sketch of the floor plan.
1 Like   November 27, 2012 at 5:31AM
builper.com
Consider Solatube
1 Like   November 27, 2012 at 5:34AM
Sharon McLeod
I would go with a brighter cabinet, and a darker counter top! If the countertop is shiny, at least it will help bounce light around the room.
Imagine white cabinets with this CT: http://www.cambriacanada.com/PageFiles/14564/full_swatch_0380.jpg
1 Like   November 27, 2012 at 6:41AM
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 6:42AM
van1116
I hope this image helps. It shows the closest windows. there is also a window 10 ft from the hallway that is across from the kitchen. The two windows you see closest to the kitchen are under the roof (covered patio) so they may not bring in much light.
0 Likes   December 5, 2012 at 3:07PM
van1116
Thanks everyone!...I think I will try medium cabinets and lighter tile floors also.
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 4:32AM
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
adding recessed lights or pendants is a good idea but if you already have the room finished it would be very expensive to cut them in later, try adding some xenon under cabinet lights that plug in, this really helps to brighten up a dark kitchen, we sell several different styles from Kichler lighting and Progress lighting, they have hi-lo switches on them so you won't need a wall switch!
0 Likes   December 20, 2012 at 6:13AM
choosing lighting for a long condominium hall without natural light
long condominium hall without any natural light. Have...
marybiel
Paint color suggestion for a basement without natural light
We are finishing our basement. It does not have natural...
susie1217
Need privacy without blocking too much light
Wondering whether to put frosted effect on bottom half...
kelbel1981
Bathroom lighting
I will have a 6' long counter with 2 sinks. There...
peggywells
Dining Room/No Room for Sideboard
The width of my dining room won't support a server/buffet/sideboard....
katomommy
Trying to finish bathroom
Not sure what to do with window. Have shutters now....
Monica
Single or double sink
We are renovating our main upper bathroom. There is...
wopnford5
Need help with Back Splash for a Kitchen!
White Cabinets, Butterfly Gold Granite, Soft yellow...
aldaddy77