Stairway make over. Need color and design help.
Pa P
I am doing a stairway make over and have ripped out the carpet. I really need your help and am open to all suggestions.

There are so many beautiful ideas and dramatic results on this site and the artistry in the design and color is outstanding. I seek your help as your eyes have vision.

My stairway is located in the foyer and from it you can see the living room and the family room. From the foyer, you walk into the kitchen.
Attached are files of the foyer and a picture of the kitchen colors.

Surrounding area and colors:

The family room is a dragged paint treatment of light yellow and white. The foyer is the same. The family room also has a black fireplace and high gloss golden oak hardwood floors. The living room has the same flooring. You can see the fireplace from the foyer.

The living room walls are a green with a light blue/gray glaze and mimics the color as the furniture.

The kitchen is designed with glazed celery green walls, washed maple cupboards. Granite counter tops of celery green, speckled black and rose undertones. Black wrought iron table and chairs.

All the trims, doors and baseboards are a light almond. Am willing to repaint them white if it helps.

I am thinking of staining the stairway railings and newels a cherry black with a high gloss finish. The spindles to be painted an almond or the same color as the baseboards and trims in a low sheen finish. The treads to be ordered an almond, or other, but like the idea of high gloss.

Runners for accents.

I have removed the carpet from the stairway and am starting to strip the golden oak stain from the spindles. Your help, color sense and design will help a lot and I know I need help. Do not want anything to do with golden oak.

I apologize for the twisted pictures below, I edited them to show properly, but not sure what happended. They are okay in flickr.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/papuz/

Many thanks.
All your pics are sideways, so you may not get much help - gives us a headache. You seem to be unhappy with golden oak? Are you redoing the floors too?
0 Likes   November 26, 2012 at 12:39PM
Pa P
Thanks so much for posting. My pics are right side up on my comoputer, and when I uploaded them, they are sideways. Not sure how to correct this...but will find out how.

I have no plans to do any floor work, but I am VERY open to wall color, trim color changes, stain color changes and anything to make this stairway look like "WOW. I have lived with golden oak for 20 years and for me it is time for an updated look.
0 Likes   November 26, 2012 at 12:49PM
Designing Richmond
First ... You have a beautiful stairway... The shape is great.
Ways to bring in color.
1) Paint the stair risers a color or
2) tile the risers with a hand painted italian tile... cool!

Painting just the risers gives you the option to change out the color when ever you feel like it...
lettinig you feel a bit creative... I've even seen stenciling in this area...

I would finish the floors with the stairs so they go together. adding a splash of color on the riser
will give you a good look without the chance of being to garrish.

This is what I do... when I'm thinking a bit out of the box. I go to Google Images
and type in whatever is on my mind... Most likely someone has done it before, and has a picture for you to evaluate. You may have to try working your description a couple different ways to get the result you want.

Good luck on your project!

Linda Berg
http://www.designingrichmondhome.com http://www.designingrichmond.com
0 Likes   November 26, 2012 at 1:42PM
Pa P
Thanks Linda. Google is vey inspiring, you are so right. I saw one design where the spindles and risers are white, the bannister is of black and the treads tie in with the floor colors...here it would be golden oak.

I am also toying with the idea of painting the baseboards white and having the risers white.

All I know is that so much golden oak is now driving me crazy and it makes the walls in yellow look dirty. So some contrast I thought would be fab.
0 Likes   November 26, 2012 at 6:42PM
fairviewbonnie
I just painted my bannister black, spindles white. BIG improvement. My walls are a sage green, so it really made a difference.
1 Like   November 26, 2012 at 7:24PM
victorianbungalowranch
Did you resave the photos after you rotated them? Otherwise they won't pull up right.

Love the shape--perhaps a darker stain would help rather than painting it all. Painting just the spindles can be nice, and you can do a decorative paint treatment on the stairs rather than going through the expense of refacing or tiling them. I do like a nice runner down the stairs too.
0 Likes   November 26, 2012 at 8:12PM
Pa P
I uploaded and saved the pictures with the proper orientation, but not sure why they came out this way. I tried it another way, and they still are a mess. Trying to remove these pics as they look horrible.

Your advise is really good and it seems that the overall feeling is to stain the railing using one of the tones within the golden oak. Will find the deepest tone. White risers, spindles, treads and stingers. Runner for accent. May paint the treads same as the railing.

Will post my after pics as soon as this project is completed. Giving full details.

I really want to thank everyone who has taken their time and interest to comment as your help has been VERY KIND and just GREAT.

Getting this ready for Christmas.
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 7:56AM
victorianbungalowranch
Are you redoing baseboards too? If so, I would do the stringers to match.

I like wood treads and painted risers, but I hear the paint can be a maintenance challenge, although a nice runner would fix that. There was a similar staircase question recently with some nice runner options. I wouldn't get anything too heavy so you can accomodate the curve.

One thing I saw someplace was an accent stripe painted on the wall by the baseboard to accent the curve. It was maybe 4 inches or so in a bright color--not enough to look like a wainscott or anything.

This is an ambitious project for the holidays! Good Luck!
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 8:45AM
Pa P
Myy upper arm muscles are getting defined.
My house has the sweet scent of soy gel stripper where others have sugar cookies waffting in the air.
beckoning folks to sit down, enjoy a cup of tea and Christmas melodies.

Give me a week.....this is a day and night project ! :)

Did the flagstone earlier this year and parged the wallls...fell in love with HD 50 and liqiuid nails. :)

Digressing......

In just about all of the pics I have seen, just about everyone has white baseboards, doors, trim, stringers,spindles, white risers and dark treads to match the railing. The stairway redo in these pics are quite stunning.

My trim, doorways, baseboards etc. are all a light almond, so at one point I thought, I will have an even lighter almond on the stairway where everyone else has white. For me it solved the color problem......BUT

Soft white is so beautiful.

I can do the white but also have the outside stringer in an almond...your thought please and thanks.
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 10:02AM
victorianbungalowranch
Yeah, that is the style now, in part because it is cheaper to have painted woodwork than real wood. Plus white or off white woodwork seems to cycle in every 30 years or so. Same with light and dark wood tones and such. Give it another 10-20 and I bet wood will be back "in."

Light almond and soft white are very close, so perhaps it would be best to stick with the almond. Your baseboards are pretty narrow and I don't see any casing on the openings, so the stringers could be on their own with the trim for the railings I think, as long as the difference is significant. If it is very close but not the same, it might look like the paint was mismatched..

I think it is your call which way you want to go. If you are going to all that trouble to strip, it would be nice to see the wood refinished.
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 4:41PM
Pa P
There is that old saying, what is old is new again!

Our conversations have really been helpful. You make a good point on color similarity.
It is my hope that the spindles will take a lighter stain, i.e. white,or cream as they are really getting stripped down to bare wood..Testing an area will help. If I can get them to a close enough white, will commit to a changeover of the baseboards, if not, weeeeel......

Looking at runners as well and have an idea in the back of my brain.

Using grip mats as the runner and weaving in a fabric along the edges....experiment.
0 Likes   November 28, 2012 at 5:21AM
Designing Richmond
Hello Again,
One more thought. You have many areas you are trying to coordinate with color.... It would be profoundly helpful for you to hire a local interior designer for a color consult!

Get a 2 hour consult. Be prepared with color samples you're thinking of... throw some wild cards in... The designer should have a Sherman Williams paint deck or two... and you can hash it out on site...

The online help is one thing... but really a person in the field looking at lighting, and adjoining rooms, will do you complete justice.... for $150 - $200 you will feel confident in your final decision!
Houzz has project pictures of you local designers... fiind one that the color coordination appeals to you!

Check out a page on my info website... www.designingrichmondhome.com Check out the page about hiring the right designer for any project! It's in the home decor section!

Again ... Good Luck!
0 Likes   November 28, 2012 at 6:00AM
Pa P
Hi Linda,

You know, I may do just that i.e. have a designer consult while keeping in mind some of the wonderful suggestions and helpful advice everyone has offered. For now, I will continue doing the prep and hold off as the other rooms do come into play.

I love Sherwin Williams...we have one around the corner and the folks there are fabulous!!!!

Thank you everyone!!!!!!
0 Likes   November 28, 2012 at 12:27PM
Pa P
Hi Linda,

Thank you everyone!!!!!!
0 Likes   November 28, 2012 at 12:27PM
victorianbungalowranch
Have you tried their online color visualizer. It works really well, although making the masks can be a bit tedious. It is best to keep clutter to a minimum for these sort of programs, and photograph in good light with strong contrast but not too heavy of shadows. A lot of fun to play with.
0 Likes   November 28, 2012 at 12:57PM
NEED HELP FOR LIGHTING OVER A STAIRWAY TO THE BASEMENT
WE HAVE A STAIRWAY FROM THE OPEN FAMILY ROOM UPSTAIRS...
Sharon Sisson
need help on design ideas for tall wall beside stairway
I have a tall to ceiling wall in the hall beside my...
sbelllo
Need help to design my outdoor stairway
Just outside front door. We want curved steps up to...
ilovecarl
Need help with a design for wall along stairway
I want to dress up the wall along the stairway to the...
ladymadonna61
Need help with design of a new stairway
We are going to remodel of interior stairway. It is...
disilhavy
Family room
We have installed a wood floor down and intend to change...
krissy55
My livingroom needs help! Bay windows opposite fireplace challence...
We bought a house with a big livingroom where we would...
krickelina
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
zazfuzzroc
Where do you hang your holiday stockings?
If you hang stockings to be filled with treats and...
Redoing our Livingroom
After 12 years we getting rid of all of it! I have...
Lenore