Wolf/Viking or Kitchenaid?
rebecca105
Just got a quote for a 36" cooktop and hood, built in wall oven/micro and warming drawer, dishwasher and counter depth fridge all in Kitchenaid brand (we've had before and liked). For $2-3k more, is it worth upgrading the brand?? Is there one item (maybe cooktop) that its worth upgrading? Or stick with one brand for consistency?
mmilos
Usually just stick to one brand except for maybe a Subzero fridge and Bosch dishwasher.
Upgrade depends primarily on your budget and if you think you're over-improving for your neighborhood/how long you'll live there, etc.
November 26, 2012 at 3:16PM     
praguemama
I would absolutely run at mach speed away from a Subzero refrigerator or freezer. My husband has been a custom builder and I would estimate 90% of the homeowners wish they would not have spent the large dollar amount on a Subzero. A good example is a homeowner who was quoted $3000. to replace their icemaker when it was 3 years old.. I was told by the appliance person we send all our clients to, that Subzero buys every new frige that comes out on the market and totaly takes them apart and this person was told that the new Samsung was the closest they had ever seen to theirs, especially the crisper.. I bought one, and was quite pleased with it. We sold our house recently and everyone loved the six burner Viking cooktop I had. It received all the accolades when folks came to view the house/kitchen.
November 26, 2012 at 4:43PM     
wendy3456
Interesting...I had the opposite experience to what praguemama relates. We've moved often, twice into houses with older Subzero fridges, one in NY, and one in NC. Both times the Subzero was great and the company honored their warranty on products that were over ten years old, with second owner. When it came time to replace one I balked at Subzero price and bought a Kitchenaid Architect series. Looked nice but did not have separate machinery for freezer/refrigerator and I had constant problems from day one. Service through their owner, Whirlpool, was miserable and I regretted not getting a Subzero.
Now I am in yet another home with an older Kitchenaid and will probably get a Subzero when this one wears out.
But companies change, and are bought and sold, so I will research the current service and performance reputations for all these companies. My good experiences with Subzero were some years ago.
November 26, 2012 at 5:28PM     
myrns
My appliance repairman told me Subzeros are not as good as they used to be because the motors are now made out of country. Surprise! Surprise!
Can highly recommend Miele dishwasher.
November 26, 2012 at 5:39PM     
favoritegram
My sister has a subzero and I hate that if you open it, close it you can't open it again without waiting I have all Thermidor with the exception of a new Miele dishwasher and love all of them Lainey
November 26, 2012 at 5:40PM     
We love our Wolf gas range, but we had absolutely no problems with the GE gas range that preceded it (still in perfect condition after 15 years, not a single repair, and donated to Habitat for Humanity only because it was the wrong color for the new kitchen). We splurged on the Wolf because of the precision of the burners and the over all aesthetics of the design (I know, shallow reasoning on that latter part). We did not splurge on a Subzero (just too expensive for a fridge), but instead bought a cabinet-depth french-door GE Monogram (which, with a cabinet built around it, looks exactly like the Subzero for half the price). We LOVE it to pieces. Two separate freezer drawers, smart layout of space, very sturdy. It's probably my favorite part of the kitchen. Our Bosch dishwasher is doing great too (incredibly quiet--sounds like a light rain falling). But I have to admit our previous KitchenAid dishwasher, which was in the house when we bought it, lasted 25 years with only one major (motor) repair during its life with us. Simply amazing, but I doubt anyone makes appliances that sturdy any more.
November 26, 2012 at 5:59PM     
jbknowlt
I just completed my kitchen renovation and I must say I adore my Wolf 30" range. I am amazed at how different it is from my old one. In my opinion it is worth the extra money.I bought a used Subzero two years ago - showroom model - and it has been perfect. It has great seals. Probably why you can't open the freezer for a couple seconds after you open it. That's a good thing. So far I love my Miele dishwasher. It's so quiet you wonder if it's on. Dishes come out sparkling. I went high end on appliances. My old ones were great but so dated. Yes you can spend less on appliances and I'm sure they are fine but I am thrilled with my new ones.
November 26, 2012 at 6:03PM     
favoritegram
When we remodeled our kitchen 4years ago I kept the Thermidor wall oven warming drawer microwave combo and Thermidor refrigerator that were already here but added the Thermidor professional 6 burner range with 2 more ovens (we entertain a lot) put in a kitchen aid dishwasher that after 2 years of light use died. Replaced it with top of the line Miele and love love love it.
November 26, 2012 at 6:24PM     
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
When a client wants to splurge on one piece, we advise it to be the Wolf gas cooktop 36". It is worth the difference and we have paired it with Kitchenaid appliances and it does fine. The precision of the burners and the safety of the grate design on the Wolf cooktop is excellent.
November 26, 2012 at 6:25PM     
ccwatters
I love my Wolf cooktop.
At the time we bought all of my new appliances for my reno, it was the only appliance that came with a 2 year warranty. The appliance salesman told me that the average appliance lifesapn these days (built FAR more cheaply than the appliances of 25 years ago) is 8 years. It has been 9 years and the Wolf is the the one appliance I have not needed service on. I vaguely remember my Bosch diswasher needing a repair a couple years ago, but that one has been great too. I personally don't believe in having to match appliance brands, just finishes. I prefer to choose each appliance based on which I think will perform the best while fitting into the budget.
November 26, 2012 at 6:32PM     
praguemama
For all you cooks out there, I left my 6 burner Viking cooktop when we sold our house. I was going to get another one and again my appliance guy came through! (I was always complaining about how the 18000 burner didn't get my wok hot enough). Since we are both foodies he invited myself and husband over to his house to try his new gas stove. Now this guy has been a thermadore fan for ions, so I was a little skeptical of what his "new" toy was going to be. Oh my. I had a ball cooking on his new Blue Star! They started out years ago as commercial only, and a few years ago came into the home market. The next Monday I ordered my new Blue Star cooktop for the last house we are retiring in. Pictures will be forth coming after the roof is on, drywall is up and I will be contemplating wall colors.
November 26, 2012 at 6:58PM     
cncsmom
We love our 36" BlueStar range!
December 23, 2012 at 9:44PM     
Travis Robert Renovations
We have many clients, one a being a professional chef, who swear by their Bluestar ranges!! If your into cooking like we are, the upgrade may be well worth it.
December 24, 2012 at 9:58AM     
zenhome
Love my Viking range and refrigerator. I did however go with Miele for my dishwasher. It was highly recommended and I can see why - super quiet and dishes come out sparkling!
December 25, 2012 at 8:25AM   
A Kitchen That Works LLC
First, I would encourage you to select your appliances based on the features that suit your cooking and lifestyle. When you reference Kitchen Aid are you referring to their standard line or their Architect Series whereby the the fridge is 84" high like Sub-zero, Miele, Thermador, etc.? Is the cooktop you have selected gas, radiant or induction? I ask these questions because I tend to specify different manufactures for each piece of equipment, within reason, based on the manufacturers strengths in that product category and the homeowner's cooking style/budget.
As for reliability of different manufactures products, many appliance failures can be traced to poor installation by non-certified installers. You can find more tips on selecting appliances under the articles and resources tab at www.akitchenthatworks.com in the Fall and Winter 2012 issues of West Sound Home and Garden Magazine.
December 25, 2012 at 9:09AM     
Interiors International, Inc.
I totally agree with praguemama. My clients have all regretted the Sub-zero decision. I did try to stop them. Consumer Reports rates them very low.
December 25, 2012 at 9:46AM     
kimconley38
Viking
December 25, 2012 at 11:04AM     
kimconley38
Viking
December 25, 2012 at 11:05AM   
A Kitchen That Works LLC
Look carefully at how each appliance is constructed with an eye towards how easy is it to clean. This is particularly important with cooktops.
December 25, 2012 at 11:33AM     
praguemama
toakitchenthatworks: Installation has nothing to do with the compressor going out on a three year old Sub Zero. Yes, you have to know what you are doing when you vent a hood, or microwave/hood combo, and plumbers are the ones to hook up your gas/propane cook tops/ranges. Otherwise there isn't much to plugging in an electrical, convection or radiant cook top, and yes you have to be sure and level out your appliances, any quality carpenter should know how to do that. I've had to level my washer, when my husband was out of town when it came in, not hard. You are very correct that you have to know how your client cooks. My daughter doesn't cook much, and she wanted a sleek look so we picked out a radiant top for her, not top of the line, but was made by a reliant manufacturer, and she is quite content with it...(I hate it LOL) I had two GE double ovens, until I purchased my Viking. My only complaint was they would "sweat" when I baked a chicken or turkey, not the best seals, but at the time I couldn't afford any more and lived with it. And they were still spot on in the temp. department when I sold both houses.
December 25, 2012 at 11:40AM     
praguemama
I totally agree to look at the cleaning aspects of your appliances, especially the cook tops. Most of the manufactures now have enclosed the tops of the gas ranges/cook tops and they are a pain in the fanny to clean..another reason I love Blue Star, they kept it the old fashion way, everything comes apart for a great and easy clean!
December 25, 2012 at 11:46AM     
lbl56
I'm considering either a Wolf 36" rangetop or the KitchenAid commercial cooktop (apron front model). Anyone have any experience with the KitchenAid commercial model? Talking about cleaning - I really don't like that metal riser with the open grid pattern on the back of the Wolf rangetop. That looks like a cleaning nightmare to me.
April 8, 2013 at 10:29PM     
Helga Simmons Interior Design LLC
Anyone who has the budget should buy Miele appliances. Germany's top-of-the-line products, way above everything else. Similar to Mercedes Benz.
April 8, 2013 at 11:04PM     
inpdx
Cousin just had a fire in her Miele microwave/combo oven. Almost new. Not an installation issue -- a product defect. Anything can have issues. That said, I wouldn't say no to a Blue Star or a Wolf, if someone wants to drop one off.
April 8, 2013 at 11:21PM     
mahwash
I have thermador cook top/micro and oven combo. Working perfectly so far and have Miele dishwasher and works smoothly. No complaints
April 9, 2013 at 10:52PM   
rebecca105
The house we remodeled prior to this one we had a 36" kitchenaid cooktop with the griddle in the middle. Loved loved loved it. Since my original post, we made our purchase and went with Viking 30" range. Only because 30" required less remodel and the range was on sale floor model. I miss the 36" kitchenaid. We used the griddle all the time.
April 13, 2013 at 11:57AM   
eroell
We had a Viking 6 burner range and it never worked properly. It was an older unit and the oven would take FOREVER to heat up, and because there wasn't a digital thermostat, we had to have a separate thermometer inside. We had it serviced a couple times, but they never got it to work right. Everyone commented on how great it looked, but I'd never buy one again. We're about to build and I'm planning in buying a Wolf!
April 13, 2013 at 10:01PM     
zenhome
You must have just gotten a lemon euroell. I have a Viking dual fuel range and love it . No problems whatsoever! Viking was highly recommended to me by two local chefs.

Agree with the comments on Miele dishwasher - it is AWESOME!
April 13, 2013 at 10:44PM     
eroell
Sure, I may have had a lemon, but my local dealer told me that Viking quality isn't very high, and Consumer Reports confirms it. Based in my experience, I wouldn't waste my money on anything Viking again.

I had an Electrolux dishwasher and loved it - that I would buy again, along with our LG washer and dryer. All were great appliances.
April 14, 2013 at 6:00AM     
zenhome
You must have gotten lucky eroell with your Electrolux dishwasher. I wouldn't waste my money on Electrolux - bad, bad reviews.
April 14, 2013 at 10:13AM     
eroell
Interesting... I had no idea about the bad reviews. We had ours probably 5 years and not one single problem. It was the quietest dishwasher I've ever had, and best looking in my opinion.
April 14, 2013 at 10:17AM     
zenhome
You were lucky eroell as I guess I am too with my Viking dual range. Miele is the best dishwasher around.
April 14, 2013 at 10:28AM     
elkmom
Does anyone have an opinion on the Viking range with electronic controls? Can't decide on a Viking or a Wolf
30" range
May 29, 2013 at 5:39PM   
A Kitchen That Works LLC
Take a close look at your options, price and features aside, which appears easier to clean?
May 29, 2013 at 5:45PM     
elkmom
Same price, features appear to be comparable. I was wondering on reliability. Does one have more problems than the other?
May 29, 2013 at 5:52PM   
praguemama
Had a 36" Viking cook top with electronic controls. No problems but hated the fact the BTU's were too low to do real hot wok cooking..would suggest you take a look at the Blue Star..I would n't give two cents for a
viking or Wolf ever again...a lot of hype nothing compared to the Blue Star...and it's a tad less expensive too boot!
May 29, 2013 at 6:52PM     
badgerlew
We went with the Wolf and Love it. Dual fuel 30". The Red dials get comments from everyone, and the grates really add bulk to the range. Very professional look. Prefers the lines of the Wolf compared to Viking and Blue Star as well
May 29, 2013 at 7:16PM     
wendyrylee
NEVER Viking. I worked for the company in their cooking school and all their appliances were in need of constant repair. We installed all Viking products in our home before I was aware of their issues and we spend hundreds a year having them repaired.
May 31, 2013 at 10:24AM     
zenhome
LOVE my Viking appliances and NEVER had any problems with them whatsoever. A well known chef in our area highly recommended them. He has access too to many other brands such as Wolf, Thermador etc. at his cooking classes which are held at an appliance store, but always prefers using the Viking.
May 31, 2013 at 7:41PM     
taco
Went with a GE Monogram 30" with my recent reno. I love the look and a professional range that self cleans won me over!
June 1, 2013 at 10:00PM     
calidesign
I would never buy Viking again. The ovens take forever to heat up, and the inside fan runs loudly for well over an hour after the oven is turned off. Our first Viking refrigerator was finally replaced under warranty, after many service calls and leaking water all over the floors. We had problems with the second one after about three years, so we replaced it with KitchenAid, which has been great.
June 1, 2013 at 10:59PM     
zenhome
Sorry to hear you got a lemon calidesign!
June 2, 2013 at 12:24PM   
laurie_k
We purchased a Bertazonni 48" gas range last December. The price was too good to pass up compared to other high end gas ranges. Love having 6 burners and an electric griddle plus the warming oven. Took a little while to get used to an all gas oven but now that we have the hang of it, we are very happy with it.
June 2, 2013 at 11:40PM     
prairiegourmet
My 10 year old top of the line Bosch dishwasher has never cleaned satisfactorily (although my plumber says it has more to do with energy efficient standards and less water used than the make of the dishwasher). If I have to rinse the dishes before the dishwasher washes them, I don't see much use for the dishwasher. I might as well wash them by hand. And that certainly isn't energy efficient.

I have a Sub-zero refrigerator and separate freezer also 10 years old. The vacuum seal upon closing is annoying, but you get used to it. The compressor in the freezer had to be replaced within the first 3 years and the ice maker quit working within the first year. After the initial repairs, I haven't had any more problems. I love all the storage space and the ease of finding things. I am not totally convinced they are worth the extra money, but since the quality of most all appliances has declined in recent years, they may be better than other brands available now.

I have a 60 inch Viking range that had to have two gas burner ignition modules replaced and the ignition module in the small over replaced also. Those repairs again took place within the first 3 years of owning them. I do cook a lot and in large quantities, but other burners have operated fine for over 10 years.

Overall I think quality control has become an issue with these companies, because once the defective parts are repaired/replaced the appliances seem to perform well.
June 3, 2013 at 9:50AM     
bau92
Since 1997, I've owned three homes fully outfitted with Viking appliances (more so as our houses got bigger!). My family has become very spoiled to their quality and craftsmanship. There is a certain robustness built into the product that brochures and websites just can't convey.

I've never had a cooktop, only ranges so I can only speak to them. We have had their wall ovens, refrigerators, dishwashers, and microwaves. We've even had their disposers but I don't think they make them anymore.

We've had a couple of service calls over the years but I don't recall anything that annoying or out of the ordinary. Both were those deals where; I got home from work - everything was fixed - I move on. Needless to say nothing bad enough to deter me from the brand.

My parents are actually on their original viking kitchen after 16 years. They replaced their dishwasher last year with another Viking and had some service work on their refrigerator at about the same time. Amazing, everything still looks fresh.

To say my sister did a full Viking kitchen is an understatement. Here insanely large house has appliances in the kitchen, butlers pantry, food pantry. She even has a dishwasher in her laundry room (I can't explain that one.) I don't think she has had any problems but I can't say she's actually used anything either. Her house is about three years old.

Hope this helps.
June 19, 2013 at 11:55AM     
apachev
Wow, so much activity on this topic...love this place. I would highly recommend you research all commercial style ranges & cooktops out there. Go to a high end appliance store and look, talk, research all reviews possible, and above all, as others have mentioned, apply your lifestyle & use of the appliance(s) to the brand(s) most suitable to your individual lifestyle. I absolutely advocate mixing it up...no reason to stick to one mfg. & purchase a suite of appliances. Let me also throw into the mix some brands to consider: five star, capitol, aga. I have a 36" fratelli onofri, which is Italian & has 5 burners, duel fuel, with a wok burner & gigantic oven. Great to clean, cooks great & looks very commercial which I was attracted to & has commercial grade of stainless steel. It cooks great for me, but I am not a foodie & cooking for crowds...and I paid a song for it. Would I spend 3 - 5 thousand or more for a kitchen aid 36" commercial grade range....NO, it cannot do any more than my $2K range as far as btu's and oven is smaller. Would I pay $8K for a five star...no but I am not a professional chef or a foodie............if you are & have the $$$ to spend, go for it. It is all relative. No appliance today made in the USA is made to last forever. BTW, I have a kitchen aid architect series dishwasher....you cannot hear it running & I paid under $1K, as I recall. My warming drawer is also Kitchen Aid Architect series with a slow cooking feature that I cook standing rib roast & it is awesome...slow & low, and comes with racking & steam pans. My parents had a sub zero growing up and it lasted 20 years before a new compressor was put in, and we sold the house after another 20 & it was still running fine. Would that happen today? Doubt it. Was it as economical to run then as now? Doubt it, so do your home work...& look at your needs & match it up with the manufacturer that fits your budget. If I had $$ to burn, I would have a 48" five star with a griddle/grill...but last I looked, I can't set any money on fire(:
June 19, 2013 at 12:46PM     
btac
I love my Viking kitchen! We chose a 36" range and hood, 42" bottom-mount refrigerator, dishwasher, warming drawer and microwave. I'll be adding an undercounter ice maker soon. Can't beat Viking quality and I'm proud to buy from companies dedicated to remaining "Made in the USA"!
September 20, 2013 at 4:14PM     
kbradley324
I recently purchase a home and the kitchen needed remodeling desperately! The previous owner had already started to remodel and had purchased a Viking Range. I wanted to keep with the theme so I purchased a refrigerator, hood, dishwasher, microwave and ice maker. I could not be happier with not only the quality and performance, but how beautiful it makes my kitchen look. Viking will be the only kitchen appliances I ever purchase and I would recommend it to anyone.
September 22, 2013 at 6:26PM     
wildcat92
I own a Viking electric range, bottom freezer refrigerator, dishwasher, and microwave hood. I love the way my kitchen looks, and I was also glad to purchase products made in the USA! My dishwasher is absolutely the best one I have ever owned. I can put anything in there, and it comes out sparkling clean without even rinsing first. I love the bottom freezer refrigerator because I don't have to bend to reach anything in the refrigerator compartment. The bottom drawer is so cold and is the perfect place for chilling sodas. My electric range performs well and is so easy to clean. I would absolutely recommend VIking products.
September 22, 2013 at 6:52PM     
amnixon
Definitely go with Viking. I've enjoyed my range, oven, dishwasher, and bottom mount refrigerator for several years now. My kitchen is always the envy of my dinner party guests. Viking will always be my appliance of choice for their beautiful design and outstanding performance.
September 22, 2013 at 11:05PM     
cypressbend
I just ordered a new Viking 48" dual fuel range because of how much I loved my previous Viking range. We are remodeling and I cannot wait to get my new range installed in my dream kitchen. I was not sure if I would ever use an indoor grill, but my husband convinced me to try it and we loved it. Our Viking hood does a great job of handling the smoke, so I ordered my new range with a char-grill. Turns out we use our indoor Viking grill 2 or 3 times a week! I love it for grilling veggies, chicken breasts, steaks, pork chops - quick, delicious weekday meals.
September 23, 2013 at 8:19AM     
99df
We purchased a 30" Viking gas range about 3 years ago and liked it so much that shortly after we added a bottom mount refrigerator and dishwasher as well. We have really enjoyed them all. The only problem that I can think of is we should have gotten the 36" range instead of the 30". Our dishes come out of the dishwasher squeaky clean and we love the bottom mount refrigerator because it gives us so much more room in the top compartment. It's also a big bonus that it's all Made in the USA!
September 23, 2013 at 1:53PM     
eroell
Just curious... does Houzz take any precautions to prevent various manufacturers or sales reps from pretending to be consumers and talking up their lines? Not saying that's happening... but I do get suspicious when several people give glowing reviews on a particular product line, and yet have never commented on anything else or even liked a photo before on Houzz. And when you can notice similarities in their names too. Again, not saying it IS happening, but it sure seems coincidental?
September 23, 2013 at 2:01PM     
Brenda
from what I've seen eroell, no. I've seen people with the words "binds" or "curtains" in their user name pushing their products ... I've seen people with the word "granite" in their user names declaring that it'll be in style forever ...
September 23, 2013 at 2:06PM     
eroell
I guess it's not so bad if you can easily tell that they're reps who are pushing their products. But if they're trying to pretend to be average consumers, that's dishonest. I don't think any product line deserves all positive comments, but when they come in absolutely glowing and one after another, and then, on top of it they appear to all be new users, it raises suspicions.
September 23, 2013 at 2:14PM     
zenhome
I LOVE my Viking appliances and am NOT a sales rep for the company. One should NOT make these assumptions just because they don't agree with a post.
September 23, 2013 at 5:37PM     
Don't be offended, zenhome. I do see what eroell means, and he/she isn't talking about posters like you or me who have a track record on Houzz. There are an unusual number of comments on this thread--particularly recently-- from posters who have made only one comment on Houzz ever. I wouldn't have noticed it, but it does seem a curious coincidence (though I suspect it is just that--coincidence).
September 23, 2013 at 7:42PM     
eroell
I don't mean any offense. I have used Houzz for lots of great information as I'm planning my new home. I'm looking to outfit my new kitchen and came to this forum to read what everyone's thoughts were on these product lines. I value everyone's opinions but I'm skeptical of people who suddenly post these glowing reviews without ever having posted on Houzz before. I appreciate the legitimate opinions posted here. Others raise red flags for me. Everyone can judge the legitimacy of these opinions themselves. Me, having had problematic Viking products in the past, am dubious.
September 23, 2013 at 8:04PM     
btac
I've been registered on Houzz for quite a while but have never felt the need to comment to a post before seeing this Viking vs. Wolf issue. I love Viking and am certainly not a salesman for them, however that won't stop me from sharing my thoughts to interested parties.
September 23, 2013 at 8:57PM   
boraost
I recently went to my local dealer who handles SubZero, Viking and Kitchenaid. He told me that he put all Viking appliances into his kitchen and would never recommend Viking because of its poor quality - and he SELLS it! He said SubZero is a much higher quality product and he doesn't have near as many service calls as he does with Viking. I owned a Viking range up until last year and I experienced the same issues as others here. SLOW heating of the oven and having to have the stovetop ignition modules that had to be replaced four separate times.
September 23, 2013 at 9:46PM     
zenhome
How unfortunate for you boraost! I absolutely love my Viking appliances as do many others I know. There is always a lemon in every brand I guess.
September 24, 2013 at 7:19AM   
dkwindel
I rebuilt my kitchen last year and splurged on the 48" Subzero. It is fabulous and keeps my food fresher longer than any fridge I've ever had. I bought the 36" Kitchenaid cooktop with grill because it has high BTU's and modest price. I cook a lot, and I have loved the cooktop. I've not been thrilled with the Kitchenaid oven because it's slow to heat and it won't hold the temp. Love the Kitchenaid microwave and Kitchenaid warming drawer.
September 26, 2013 at 8:15PM     
centaurita
Love reading about all the different experiences with top brand appliances. Especially since I'm in the market for new ones when my house is ready. DH has already made up his mind to get the Fridgidaire "tall twins" (photo of them in a friend's new kitchen), so I guess I will get a stainless range even though I really don't care for ss.
I'll probably get a built in dishwasher and put a cabinet front on it. Not sure of brand yet. (I don't feel the need to have all my appliances in the same brand.) Microwave to me is minor and I will most likely have it hidden, so the one I have will suffice until it dies....
Hubby tells me a BlueStar is not in the budget, but I haven't given up.
We were looking at a Bertazzoni since they are running a special that includes a free hood and I really like the look of the pro series, but I would like to have more BTU's for searing and broiling.
If I had enough space and clearances I would have no problem putting in a Garland, (and I wouldn't care how it looked to others ;))
I have looked all over to get opinions and ratings on different brands and it really is astounding that I haven't had much luck finding fresh reviews, given the obvious passion people have for their kitchen appliances!
Thanks everyone for a great discussion!
October 20, 2013 at 5:34PM   
Zone 4 Architects, LLC
We typically put Wolf and Subzero in the majority of our houses. If you can afford them, we haven't heard anything negative.
October 20, 2013 at 5:41PM     
Jo Carpenter
This has really been an interesting thread. A little over a year ago we bought a home that is 13 years old. And for the neighborhood and home price, I was a bit surprised at the appliances, but I knew I'd be replacing them soon anyway. The stove is a Thermodor cooktop (the only one I was pleasedwith) and I love it. It's 13 years old and it works beautifully. The fridge is a Whirlpool and we are trying to wait until it kicks the bucket to replace it but it's an eyesore in my kitchen right now. We replaced he dishwasher with a German made Bosch--at my husband's insistance. I will tell you this..the German made Bosch cleans no where near as well as the Maytag did. But I learned through the 2 months of online research and endless store shopping that all the companies changes hands many times, it's hard to know who makes what anymore, and new energy efficient standards have impacted the cleaning ability of appliances--less water, lower temps, etc. So while the German made Bosch my husband had to have is just ok, I'll live with it. The Thermador cooktop will definitely be replaced by same brand when she kicks the bucket. And the fridge...well blogs like this continue to reinforce (at least for me) that you can go with your best instincts and current market research on any appliance, but you have to remember, all brands turn out a few lemons and the standards of quality vary over time within the same brand family. Though the one thing I have come to realize is, the applicances do not have to be consistent in branding. I used to think anyone with good taste and the resources to buy high end would never mix up the brands, but now I'm finding there is no one manufacturer that makes the best in all appliances (for me.)
October 20, 2013 at 6:51PM     
solincia
I have all Kitchenaid. 30" gas range, conventional oven, slide in with no back. When it comes to cooking, if you can't cook on a $400 gas range, then a $3000 one won't make a difference. My $1500 stove works great for everything and couldn't imagine anything working better!
October 20, 2013 at 6:57PM     
centaurita
Jo C, Thanks for making me smile! My husband has been really pushing me toward a Bosch dishwasher. (Go figure- he's German!) I want a dishwasher to clean well and not sound like a jet engine, but cleaning is the main thing! If it can strip the baked on cheese from my casserole, I don't care if I have to leave the house to run it- lol :)
October 20, 2013 at 7:47PM     
dkwindel
I have been pleased but not thrilled with my Kitchenaid middle of the road dishwasher. I didn't want all the sensors. I just wanted fairly quiet and very clean. I've used several newer dishwashers at my children's homes, some very high end, and come to the conclusion that no new dishwasher works as well as the older ones did. Not enough water, not enough heat, etc. and they run FOREVER. How can that be efficient? I think the rack configuration is very important. And I like the upper rack clips to hold lightweight things in place. But those could probably be bought separately. I had the Fisher Paykel dishwasher drawers and they were awful. Didn't get dishes clean and very hard to figure out how to load.
October 20, 2013 at 8:38PM     
centaurita
OMG- Have you seen the new Bluestar Platinum?! I am drooling so bad over this.
October 21, 2013 at 7:16AM     
jaffeb
I have an ancient Wolf rangetop, actually it's 3 commercial 2-burner modules. With pilot lights! And it is really dying. What I don't understand, after looking at open-burner (Blue Star) and sealed burner (Wolf and Viking), why on earth people say sealed burner is easier to clean. I'm a messy cook, onions fly out of my pan when I'm sautéing, and stuff boils over. With open burners, the mess falls down onto the lower pullout shelves, and eventually you change the aluminum foil. With the sealed burners, it looks like you have to constantly wipe up your messes. I'm too busy cooking to do that. Please enlighten me.
October 21, 2013 at 7:38PM     
WARD A LILE DESIGN
I'm an architect and designer who specializes in custom homes and I'll give you my two cents worth.

I've had experience with every brand mentioned and found none to be junk, and none to be perfect.
Did a high end project with two kitchens plus outdoor kitchen all done with Viking and loved it all, had minor issues with several things initially, but all were resolved other than an oven that was always slightly off on temperature- fixed by placing a Wllms Sonoma thermometer inside. Not a big deal. This was a kitchen for serious cooks where a cookbook was written, tested, and photographed, it doesn't get much more demanding.

Also had 15 years of great luck in another kitchen with Thermador dual- fuel range, Asko dishwasher, and Sub Zero refrigeration. I do believe Miele is a better product when it comes to dishwashers, but that Asko didn't fit the horror stories I heard over the years. The Sub Zero never had an issue- but these were made in the mid 90's, and manufacturers constantly change things around so who knows about today's models.

In my own more modest kitchen I went with KItchenAid across the boards. Not one problem in 7 years. The KItchenAid dishwasher drawers were what drove that choice. At the time Fischer Paykell made everyone else's DW drawers and I was hearing mixed reviews. Also KItchenAid was the only one with a food disposer. They are quiet and everything comes out spotless. I'd buy it all again without thinking twice. 7 years with an entire kitchen never needing a single service call, almost makes up for perpetual roof leaks!

As has been stated, go with what works for you functionally, aesthetically, and fits your budget. But I think the real deal breaker is who is gonna service it. Trust the service teams that see this stuff all the time. And a great appliance serviced by someone undertrained or with a bad attitude is nearly useless.
October 21, 2013 at 8:33PM     
Jo Carpenter
Ward A Lile Design--thank you so much for weighing in. I have actually been thinking that I might replace my Fridge with a KtichenAid....I'm glad to hear your inputs on that brand. Also, my husband convinced me to buy a Bosch DW (I actually wanted dishdrawers) and I am regretting that so much --the drawers are incredibly easy to use and practical in design! Maybe next time....
October 22, 2013 at 5:09AM   
Jolene
I will say I loved my Kitchen aid stuff but at 7 years old the control for the counter depth frig no longer works and the dishwasher has trouble latching oh and the racks in the freezer are rusting on the ends... :(. They were great until recently, but what a shame
October 22, 2013 at 1:34PM     
summilux
Great discussion. My 2 cents- we have a Subzero fridge and wine fridge. By far our priciest home purchases. Purchased in 2009 and so far, so good. One thing to avoid from my wife's research is the ice maker (seems to be a disproportionate source of headaches). My sister and brother-in-law (who is street-smart and OCD with research) purchased a Wolf range and are very pleased with it. We're looking at ranges in the near future and are encouraged at the positive feedback for Blue Star and Thermador. Seems that all the brands have their advocates and detractors, however; complicates the decision process-eh?
October 22, 2013 at 9:09PM     
dclostboy
Wolf 8 burner, Wolf microwave drawer, Subzero wine cooler, Subzero fridge...love it all!
October 29, 2013 at 6:57PM   
lamby2660
We're deciding on all this now for a full home remodel. Just wanted to say thanks to you all for your input. It's been extremely helpful to not only have great images to help inspire all the overwhelming decisions but valuable experience and input on things like this!
October 29, 2013 at 10:43PM     
Tracie Begnaud
I have all Thermador appliances, with the exception of our KitchenAid Architect Series trash compactor. I can say, with a clear conscience that the KitchenAid compactor is really and truly the most expensive piece of junk I've ever purchased. I absolutely would NOT recommend any of their appliances, based on the awful experiences I've had over the past three years with KitchenAid customer service, with their lack of interest in my investment in their product versus the IMMEDIATE problems I had with it, and with the expense associated with the dozen plus repairs I've had to make, in a fruitless effort to coax it to work at all, much less be in proper working order. I have had no problems with my Thermador products, they are beautiful as well as efficient and well worth the significant investment. I know my experience with KitchenAid is slightly off-topic, but I felt compelled to tell my story, not only because of the inferior product, but the terrible service and lack of standing behind the product from the company itself.
October 30, 2013 at 12:35AM     
juliebage
I just wanted to share an experience that I have had with our kitchen appliances. We built a home and I was so excited to get my dream kitchen complete with Viking appliances. Well, the refrigerator doors arrived dented, the convection motor on the oven was defective as well as the door on the microwave did not open properly. My GE appliances from our last house seem like an upgrade right now. Calling customer service at Viking resulted in a "note in my file", boy do I feel better now. Three weeks for the motor for the oven, they have not been out yet to check the microwave and still waiting on the doors. The local service provider has not been very service oriented either. I would strongly suggest vetting your options before purchasing these products. I cannot express my level of disappointment.
December 5, 2013 at 7:15AM     
eroell
Wow, Juliebage sorry to hear about your bad Viking experience. I had a Viking oven in my last house but am now building my dream home and not even considering Viking. I'm planning on Wolf and Subzero and am hoping for the best, but you never know.

For what I'm sure you paid. You should demand better service from Viking! That's terrible.
December 5, 2013 at 7:23AM   
centaurita
I had to finalize my appliance choices and get them ordered for our new kitchen and after many, many months of research I went with the Frigidaire all fridge/ all freezer combo with the trim package, a 36" 6 burner pro Bertazzoni range, and a Bosch 500dlx dishwasher. I have never researched anything so thoroughly, nor agonized so long about anything before making a decision, in my entire life! I hope it will prove to be worth it!
December 7, 2013 at 7:17AM     
dclostboy
@juliebage, your appliance provider doesn't understand their job, especially if they did the installation. Many brands now have a strong social media presence...I would tweet your experience, as well as yelp'ing about the poor service.
December 7, 2013 at 7:41AM     
zenhome
Nothing but positive experience with Viking!
December 7, 2013 at 12:04PM   
gabethan
Can anybody comment on Thermador Freedom columns?? It seems as if the recent years have had better reviews than when they first came out. I like the layout better than the subzero, but I'm afraid of reliability!
December 16, 2013 at 4:41PM   
dryvonne
I can't wait to see the new Viking 7 series range coming this year. It is now on the Viking website. 23,000 btu brass sealed burners. I have had a Viking range in my last two homes and can say they were fantastic. My last house had all Viking and other than some shipping damage that Viking covered (even though it was not their fault) it has been great. I considered doing sub wolf in my next house but this new range and my past experience is yelling "Viking" at me again. Why change when it has been so great.
January 8, 2014 at 5:50PM   
Mike Colacion
Good info here so far on Wolf, Viking and Blue Star. Does anyone have experience with Capitol brand gas ranges?
January 19, 2014 at 4:20PM     
Joanna
Mikecola - That was going to be my comment! I've had my eye on the 36" capital cullinarian series for a few months now!
January 19, 2014 at 9:14PM   
Joanna
Capital has higher BTU's than Bluestar
January 19, 2014 at 9:14PM   
dlouparrish
Had Viking and thought I liked it fine until I got a Wolf. There is no comparison! The Wolf is easier to control, much easier to clean, has had zero repair issues and cooks beautifully for all kinds of foods. I love my Wolf stove and ovens! Also love the Miele DW and contrary to some of these posts am also delighted w/ Sub-Zero fridge--our second one. We put a new one in our new house 4 years ago after 15 happy years with an older one in our previous house. One does need to vacuum the coils on the Sub-Zero, but really one should do that on any fridge.
January 23, 2014 at 10:25AM     
buffyarrington
I hate my expensive built in refrigerator It is not deep enough for good storage. I have the freezer drawer and hate it. it comes off the track. Very expensive to repair, icemaker overflows and they can't fix it........ I would never ever do a built in again. You can buy a 'regular" refrigerator and have it made to look built in. There is an article on here somewhere about how to do it. Save yourself several thousand dollars and buy something else you want.
January 23, 2014 at 11:10AM     
bartschmid
Has anyone had any experience with induction cooktops?
January 23, 2014 at 12:04PM   
Coates Design Architects Seattle
brand consistency helps if repairs are needed - otherwise i think its totally user preference
January 23, 2014 at 12:09PM   
PirateFoxy
@bartschmid - Easiest thing to do is get one of the tabletop induction units and play with it yourself. People seem to either love them or hate them based on personal preference and things like safety needs. (Induction obviously doesn't involve open flame the way gas does, but it's much more adjustable than other electric types.)
January 23, 2014 at 1:38PM     
4sullys
Greatly appreciate this conversation. Struggling intensely at this moment with appliances of all kinds. Bought 12 year home knowing appliances one by one would need replacement. First to go, washer and dryer. Bought top of the line front loading Electrolux and well....to many service calls and we are in discussion to swap out set. Next, Bosch dishwasher went out. replaced with $900 price point Kitchen Aid. having door issues but have learned that electrical box for unit is rubbing agains hinge so need to get it moved. For the most part...cleans well. Next, replaced old JennAir electric cook top with built in downdraft with gas 36 5 burner Viking. Other than burners not being sealed which is hard to keep clean and the largest burner in the center not heating up as fast, it's working ok for us. The Viking 36 downdraft is another story. Had to install 500 CFM internal motor due to venting size issues. Floor around island cooktop vibrates, room below stinks of cooking odors and another downstairs room sounds like a jet engine is on when the downdraft is in use Viking is working with us to figure out a solution. One being external blower to get vibration outside but that will not solve the smell issue and because vent size will only be 6 vs 10 not holding out too much hope for food smell reduction.

Where now? Need to replace cabinet depth refrigerator, wall oven, new microwave will go into cabinet to allow more space to add either a double oven and/or warming drawer. This is not intended to be our forever house. We cook daily, Sunday suppers the works. Need appliances that are reliable, workhorses, look good (stainless) and do not cost a fortune. So the question is...what have been people's experiences with KitchenAid Architect, GE Monogram, Whirlpool Gold brands of appliances? I agree with all previous post that feel gone are the days of matching everything to one brand, buy what works for you use of appliance. Lastly, I am the consumer that researches the heck out of brands but with this home and the last (all Bosch) the problems have been endless, regardless of the positive reviews, consumer reports etc...welcome and appreciate feedback
January 29, 2014 at 2:22PM   
bunnyllg
Currently I have a Bosch dishwasher and it has been great. So quiet. My cooktop is a gas GE Profile and it has been perfect for close to 10 years. The easiest to clean, still looks brand new. My double ovens are also GE Profile. This has needed repair and the probe feature is off, with oven shutting down below desired temp. My 48" Viking refrigerator/freezer has been a disaster. Main motor broke within a few months. Viking replaced, but not without leaving us without a refrig/freezer for a few weeks. It has been recalled twice for faulty door hinges that could pose big safety issue. Hinges were replaced for free, but now doors are so heavy that opening them is hard. Second time Viking offered to sell us a new unit for $3000. I passed as I was afraid removing it would damage stone floors.
We are moving.
January 29, 2014 at 2:51PM   
eroell
4sullys, I appreciate your situation, and I've been there. My advice, is buy what you like and what you can afford and realize it's a crapshoot. I too research the heck out of everything, but you'll drive yourself crazy when someone (me) has had a bad experience with Viking, while someone else wouldn't put anything else in. I've read so many bad reviews about the Electrolux dishwasher, yet I loved mine and would buy it again in a heartbeat. I love my LG washer and dryer, but my sister's (whose is a year older) has been nothing but problems.

So many things change every year, and when you find out how often one company makes several different nameplates, you realize it's almost impossible to tell what you're really buying, and a model you buy tomorrow might be made by someone else next year. It's really difficult and frustrating to be a consumer today. There is almost too much information and most of it conflicting. That's why I decided for my own sanity to buy what I like and can afford, and not be too surprise if I get a lemon! - ALL manufacturers have occasional lemons. Good luck and don't stress too much, I wish I could get back all the time I spent researching!!
January 29, 2014 at 2:54PM     
helixg1
I recently got an induction cooktop and I love it. It heats very quickly and has precise and even heat. I have never had a gas cooktop so cannot make that comparison .
January 29, 2014 at 3:07PM   
jaffeb
4sullys, what an interesting saga! But i have a question: you said your open-burner gas stove was hard to clean. I'm trying to figure this out, because i have to replace my ancient commercial Wolf. I have an open burner, and there's basically nothing to clean, the mess falls through to the aluminum-foil covered rollouts below. Does yours not have rollouts (like under a toaster). To me, sealed means the mess is right there staring at you. What am I not understanding? Thanks!
January 29, 2014 at 6:44PM     
4sullys
Thanks Eroel for thoughtful reply and advice....so true.
Thankfully, we have a good local service provider who is responsive so I will likely throw fate to wind for this next round of purchases, buy based on features I need, price point I can afford and keep my fingers crossed.

Re: question about non sealed burners on my Viking cooktop, basically my Bruner caps pop off and you have an open cavity. The long of the short of it, if you get a spill, you clean it up pronto whereas to prevent spill over into burner cavity. No crumb tray or slide out. Hope this clarifies.
February 1, 2014 at 9:46AM   
chriswayatt
We purchased a brand new 'reputable' Wolf 36" Liquid Propane Range SS back in late December 2007. This range retailed at $12,000 back then?
Fast forward to January 2014. After 6 years of 'light' use, we have to replace a rear cooling fan and probably the 'mother circuit board'. Estimated cost $986 REALLY??
I expected more from a professional grade range.
February 5, 2014 at 10:48AM   
simplybydana
Just contacted KitchenAid because upon dealing with another issue in the freezer, I found these rusty screws in the ice maker. I explained to both the Rep and the supervisor (Chris), that it did’t matter if the refrigerator was 2 or 10 years old, the screws that touch my food should not rust. Basically they told me tuff shit. So, a unit that is $70 my cost (much less for them), is apparently too much for them to stand by their product and my health. Therefore, I am sharing this on social media and consumer sites.
February 5, 2014 at 10:53AM     
orangelisa
I am just about to start a kitchen reno. We looked at a lot of ranges and finally went for the Viking. I thought I did my research but was horrified at the reviews online. A few sleepless day later I went back to the store and talked to another salesman who said that viking did have trouble with the igniters before 2007. They redesigned and are now working like they are supposed to. The ranges have a three year warranty, I hope I made the right decision.
February 5, 2014 at 7:08PM     
rebecca105
We did go with the 30" Viking range, and had a problem in the first week with the oven igniter. The igniter cable was not properly insulated and was sparking on the over floor vs in front of where the gas comes out. Some electrical tape of sort was added to the exposed wire, and the problem was fixed. Technician said this was a common problem. Our Viking stove is a 2012 model. It was fixed within 48hours, and has worked flawlessly since.
February 6, 2014 at 2:37PM   
Wildflower Designs Unlimited, LLC
My experience with appliances is quite different than many of you. Always bought cheap appliances in the scratch and dent section. And they ALL lasted 15 to 20 years with few repairs. But 7 years ago we built a new kitchen and I ended up buying "Professional" Whirlpool and Maytag appliances other than a 30" Jenn-air gas cooktop. The dishwasher was horrid and was replaced a year ago with a Kitchen-aid I love. Every other appliance has been repaired at least once.
So here is my problem, I can a lot of sauces, sometimes using 3 burners at once with stock-pots and a large canner. Not unusual to have them all going full blast for 5 or 6 hours. The nobs on my Jenn-air keep melting along with the black finish cracking. All Jenn-air does is send me new nobs. Plastic nobs just inches from a 17,000 BTU burner?
We are in the process of building a new home and I have been shopping for a 36" gas cook-top. Almost every model places the high output burner in the middle behind the control nobs. How am I supposed to lift a large canner full of water over them without damaging them or myself? The only cooktop I can find with the large burner to the front and away from the nobs is a Wolf. My budget is tight so I need to be sure it's a good choice. Is it really worth over $2000? And the nobs appear to be part plastic on every brand I have seen.
February 13, 2014 at 12:06PM   
dkwindel
I have had the Kitchenaid commercial-style cooktop for one year. Love love love it. I cook a lot but don't do any canning. Three high BTU burners and one regular or simmer on my 4 burner cooktop (and highest BTU burner is in the front). The commercial-style has the knobs on the front and low enough to not get hot. Much cheaper than Wolf or Viking.
February 13, 2014 at 12:45PM   
glschisler
Our home was built in 1998 & we got all new appliances of course. Ten years later they all crapped out the same summer! Even the garbage disposer! Spent weeks shopping new stuff. The one appliance sales man even stated"they are only built to last 10 years, otherwise we would be out of business." It had never occurred to us that budgeting for new appliances every 10 years was a must....
February 13, 2014 at 1:08PM     
Denita
glschisler, I see your point. Especially if it is something like GE or Kenmore or Whirlpool and it was made in the last 15 years or so. That 'obsolescence mentality' seems to be the norm now. But I see better appliances that last longer all the time. Yes, there are tables showing average lifetime expectancy for each appliance and we should all have replacement reserves scheduled for our major appliances including a/c or heat.

However, buying a better appliance may just get you several extra years. And in the meantime you can actually enjoy the task for which the appliance is designed! How much is that worth to you? IMHO it is worth considering the better appliances for that reason alone.
February 13, 2014 at 1:20PM   
Wildflower Designs Unlimited, LLC
When I bought appliances 7 years ago I asked the installer how long they should last since they were "much better quality" than my old 15 year old ones. He told me 7 or 8 years was all we should expect. Consumer Reports magazine doesn't recommend even repairing most appliances over 7 years old. Just replace since it's cheaper. Asked a state home economist about that. She says the buzz word now is energy efficiency but at the sacrifice of longevity. She felt filling our landfills with 10 year old appliances was the biggest possible waste of energy and resources.
February 13, 2014 at 2:11PM     
cabingirl13
No one has mentioned Jenn-Air at all. I have a 10 year old 30" slide in electric JA range and I am no professional cook but I do cook on it every single day.....and LOVE it. I can change the cartridges to have 4 burners, or a grill, or a griddle and the convection oven is awesome. Love the down draft feature too- no ugly huge hood hanging over the top either. I have had NO issues in 10 years. I can't recall what we paid for it 10 years ago....maybe $1100....maybe more/less....not really sure? It cleans up pretty easily too. Does anyone else have a Jenn-Air they can comment on?

February 13, 2014 at 3:27PM     
Wildflower Designs Unlimited, LLC
I have a JennAir gas cooktop. Here is what I wrote above:
"So here is my problem, I can a lot of sauces, sometimes using 3 burners at once with stock-pots and a large canner. Not unusual to have them all going full blast for 5 or 6 hours. The nobs on my Jenn-air keep melting along with the black finish cracking. All Jenn-air does is send me new nobs. Plastic nobs just inches from a 17,000 BTU burner?"
I will never own another.
February 13, 2014 at 4:04PM   
elcha
Unless you are deaf or near deaf I would NOT buy a new VIKING gas range. I enjoyed my old viking range for 20 years and just bought a new one for a second home. They have installed an oven fan that goes on automatically and is so loud I can no longer quietly enjoy being in my kitchen when it is on. Even after I turn the stove off the oven fan stays on for as long as 2 hours. I am SO bummed out and will desperately look for a way to swap this out for something else.
February 14, 2014 at 4:45PM     
catlvr
Love my SubZero. Food stays fresher, longer. Also love my Wolf appliances--especially gas stove. They do cost more money but sometimes it's true that you get what you pay for. These are items that, if you plan on staying in your home for any length of time, will
give you your money's worth. Plus, when you move, they may help sell your house. One final note: Made in America
February 14, 2014 at 5:38PM     
elcha
catlvr does the wolf have an oven fan?
February 15, 2014 at 5:07AM     
Our (three year old) Wolf gas range does not have an oven fan like the one elcha described (I have never heard that before about the Viking ranges). The Wolf has a convection oven fan that you can turn on or off if you want it in convection mode, but it is not loud. We love it.
February 15, 2014 at 5:23AM     
catlvr
Elcha---yes, Wolf makes oven fans. When we redid our kitchen, we worked with a kitchen designer and she chose a "Zephyr" for us. It works well and has 3 power ranges, which is nice. The finish matches the Wolf, which was important....not all stainless has the same finish, so bear that in mind when you chose a hood. Hope this helps.
February 15, 2014 at 11:59AM   
catlvr
Elcha---after rereading your post, I realize that you were not asking about above-the-stove fans but rather about the fan inside the stove. Sorry about that! Yes, the oven has a fan in it. Our Wolf has gas burners and the oven is electric. After you turn the oven off, the fan continues to run for awhile. I guess this is done to cool it down faster--an appliance dealer would know more about the technicalities than I. I don't find it distracting, but given the expense of a new stove, you should hear it for yourself before you invest in this brand. Hope this helps.
February 15, 2014 at 12:09PM   
Hmm. Interesting. Our Wolf range is all gas, not dual fuel, and there is no "cool down" fan for the oven, just the optional convection fan.
February 15, 2014 at 12:57PM   
triciarobinson
Now I am totally confused!! I have been researching appliances for a year and haven't come to any decisions and this thread has confirmed my confusion. All companies have 'lemons' so I suppose you just have to be lucky. Anyone know if Kitchenaid has fixed the leaking problem in the ice maker of their french-door fridge? Apparently, it was bad. I've read lots of bad reviews on this issue.

I'd also like to mention that because counter depth fridges are more expensive than standard depth ones and small inside, I have decided to set a standard depth 36" wide fridge into the wall so it will not only look built-in but have a lot more room inside.

Also, if you like Kitchenaid appliances, wait until they have their 20% off promotion.
February 15, 2014 at 1:48PM     
catlvr
Tricia Newman...you have an interesting idea about building a deeper frig into the wall to make it flush with your cabinets. I had a frig for 25 years that stuck out beyond the cabinets and it really bothered me. So when we remodeled our kitchen, I got one that was the same depth as the cabinets and had panels put on front to match cabinets. The result is so nice! You're correct...the refrigerator is not as deep doing it this way.
I do have a couple of questions...will they have to rebuild the wall to accommodate your refrigerator? (Sort of as though they were going to install a door?). If it's an exterior wall, how will you install insulation? It's a clever idea--good luck with your project!
February 17, 2014 at 2:51PM   
Wildflower Designs Unlimited, LLC
We did that in our current kitchen. Stole space from the closet behind the kitchen so the frig is almost flush. Still must extend enough not to hit the soapstone counter when the door swings open.
February 17, 2014 at 3:02PM   
Shuler Architecture
Depends on your price point and how much of a trophy kitchen you want to create. As you are discovering, there is a lot of vanity and supposed 'brand' built into the pricing. Personally, I think Subzero is overrated and expensive. Wolf and Viking do make nice gas appliances but you pay for these as well. Dacor, 5 Star and Thermador are decent alternates but the truth is all manufacturers cannibalize each other. Look to Consumer Reports to get their opinion and then treat with a bit of skepticism. To get the real story about performance and quality of each unit, approach an independent appliance repair shop and ask them for their opinion.

I have Frigidaire in my own kitchen and love it. A great value for the price, especially if you can wait until this brand goes on sale (which it routinely does).
February 17, 2014 at 3:11PM     
triciarobinson
cativr--We have this 'recessed' fridge idea in our present home but it was done against a 4" interior wall so it is not recessed enough for the huge fridge my husband wanted. In our new house, we have designed the fridge location to be on a 6" interior wall so a 'niche' will be formed to set the fridge into. The laundry is on the back side of the fridge so there is lots of plumbing, along with the gas line to the cooktop, to go into that wall. No insulation problems as it's on an interior wall. My husband is happy that he gets his large fridge and I am happy because it doesn't stick out into my kitchen (only the doors of the fridge extend beyond the cabinets).
February 17, 2014 at 4:09PM     
catlvr
Function and beauty--sounds like a win win for you both! Good luck with your beautiful new kitchen!
February 18, 2014 at 11:08AM   
milky6973
I'm remodeling my kitchen and not sure which wolf range to buy. 48 inch double fuel or 48 inch gas.
February 19, 2014 at 3:33PM   
oldsoprano
I have a gas 36", 5 burner Viking cooktop, installed in Aug of 2012. After 5 months the thin top layer of the left grate over the burner started to chip off, revealing the metal under it which became rusty. After some hassle over whether I was a registered owner (email reg is not the same as mail-in reg -who knew?) Viking sent me a new grate. I asked about what happens if the middle and right grates chip. They said, too bad, or words to that effect. Well, of course the grates have begun to chip. I'm going to contact Viking tomorrow: wish me luck.

To make matters worse, one of the burners now shoots a flame 2 inches above the burner when it is turned on ( the burners turn on at high, then you dial down to med, simmer, etc). This cooktop also has the sealed burners. When food/grease gets stuck instead of being able to fall thru, it stays put and hardens so that you almost have to chisel it to get it off. Some won't come off--I wonder if the surface has bubbled and melted. This cooktop was my dream-and to be fair, the heat is good, but is turning into a nightmare after fewer than two years of use. I want my 30-year-old Thermador back!!
February 23, 2014 at 11:34AM   
myrns
Have had a 5 burner Wolf cook top for almost 7 years. Heavy grates and removable burner heads make it easy to clean. Only replacements have been a couple of the knobs. They're plastic of course and they broke down inside. The cook top was still usable but didn't turn the gas on effiecently. Wolf replaced them free of charge with extras. Wolf built in oven at 7 years has been trouble free. Suggest checking interior dimension of Miele oven. It is smaller than Wolf. Counter depth French door Fridgedaire fridge trouble free for 7 years also. Remember to replace the ice maker filter on a regular basis. Love my Miele dishwasher installed the same time as the other appliances. Only appliance that needed repairing since our renovation has been the Panasonic microwave. Inconvenient but has been fine ever since.
February 23, 2014 at 12:08PM     
aniluap2
I too loved my Miele dishwasher, until it failed after 6 years. The service cost $484 and it has been noticeably louder since the repair. The appliance repair company Miele reccomended had an F rating with the BBB.Miele sent their tech out who said that the noise level was acceptable. They require a 5 hr window for the tech to arrive. On the day scheduled I called into their service center, 2 hrs into the window ,to get a better gauge of ETA. The rep said he was not sure and he would have the tech call me. 15 min later i got a call from the tech saying he would not be coming due to weather.Their service is poor and I don't think that a $1700 dishwasher should fail after such a short period of time with normal use. The regional service manager never responded to my request for an explanation as to why they would reccomend such a poorly rated service company instead they sent me a package of Miele brand detergent, water softeners etc. That was supposed to make me grateful for the attention. We have bought a new home and I am going with Bosch, they now have the top rack for flatware as well. Service as well as performance and reliability are key factors in my purchase decision
March 7, 2014 at 9:32AM   
Walter McCaffrey
I was all set to buy a viking 48 inch gas range. I walked into the dealership with cash in hand and the dealer asked me if I was selling my house within the next couple of months because that's the only way he was going to sell it to me . He said Vikings are only good for show. Home buyers like to see Vikings , Wolfs, Thermadors when they walk in a kitchen. Other than that they're complete headaches when it comes to maintenance. "They don't build them like they used to". He recommended a Bluestar over a Wolf.
Hope this helped
March 7, 2014 at 6:57PM     
gabethan
Would still love some feedback on Thermador Freedom refrigerators if anybody has one! I purchased a 48" DF range after so many great reviews and friend recommendations.
March 7, 2014 at 8:28PM   
karen757
I'm researching cooktops due to a bit of reno work I want done. Currently I have a configured Kitchenaid cooktop that has 2 gas burners, 2 induction elements and an electric griddle (they don't offer this type of configuration anymore). I've had it since we built our home 21 yrs ago and the only problem I've had is the 2 knobs for the gas burners have broken off. It is a pain to clean tho. Have always hated that part about it. Otherwise has done the job well and offered great versatility.

Now I'm contemplating Kitchenaid, Wolf or Thermador. Money is a factor but given I cook a lot, I don't want to make a hasty decision based on cost alone either. I find plenty of reviews for Wolf & Thermador but would like to hear about first hand experience with Kitchenaid's 48" gas cooktops. Anyone?

In case this is helpful for any, my Kitchenaid double convection ovens are still as powerful & reliable as the day we installed them. I previously upgraded our original Kitchenaid dishwasher & compactor with ones from Kitchenaid. I stuck with KA for those due to cost. So far they're doing good. I feel a bit better about my "old" appliances after reading the comments here. I'm wondering if my so called old ones are holding up well because they were purchased in a good decade LOL. Btw my Subzero likewise is still going strong. Still hasn't required 1 service call. We got a deal on it when we were building. It was a showroom display unit, if I remember correctly. I will now knock on wood so as not to jinx these "old" yet reliable (to me) appliances ;)
March 10, 2014 at 1:13PM     
dkwindel
I have had the Kitchenaid 36" commercial style cooktop for one year. Love it. Four burners (one very high btu) and a gas grill. Easy to control temp, etc. and lots of firepower. Because its on an island, my vent hood doesn't do a very good job with grilling meat with much fat, but otherwise it does what I want. Wish I had gotten the built-in griddle and may yet try to retrofit for it.
March 10, 2014 at 5:38PM   
annniles
Thanks for all of this info! I was relying on consumer reports before I found this thread. So now I'm thinking: Wolf range, GE Cafe Fridge (any reviews on this?) or Viking Prof Fridge, and Bosch DW. Thoughts?
March 10, 2014 at 6:18PM   
gabethan
I am not finished myself, but we are looking at Wolf range, Thermador Freedom Columns, Bosch 500 Dishwasher, Windster hood. I would like to throw a Wolf steam oven into the mix, but I think I have maxed out my budget.
March 10, 2014 at 6:21PM   
cdleatha
I am also considering the Thermador Freedom Columns, and a Thermador dual-fuel range. I've been a bit scared off by some bad Thermador reviews online and am wondering if I should just go with Wolf/Sub-Zero. But I don't care for the small view window on Wolf ranges, and I also don't care for the double hi/lo hi/lo burner feature. Any comments on Thermador products would be appreciated!
March 12, 2014 at 11:54AM   
mlkfjams
We just purchased a new home and it came with a Viking 48" gas double oven 6 burner -griddle range. I have a very large kitchen and even so, it gets unbearable hot when cooking. Both ovens and a few burners on heats up the room to a point where we need to turn on the air-conditioning even when its freezing cold outside. Its my first Viking and I want to get rid of it. Does anyone else have this problem. LOVE LOVE my SUBZEROS. True waiting to reopen freezer is annoying but the shelf space can't be beat.
March 13, 2014 at 8:07AM     
cdleatha
Mlkfjams, what about using the hood when you use your range? Does that help with the heat problem?
March 13, 2014 at 8:50AM   
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
mlkfjams, the issue you raise is the very reason that we counsel with people to consider a range top and separate wall ovens rather than the big ranges. Split the source of heat up and move part of it away from where one is generally standing and working. It does help to have a good range hood, but the make-up air regulations have made it almost impossible to put them in any longer (at least legally) without significant cost and other problems. You can have a Broan make up air unit installed somewhere near your range so that you can turn on the range hood and the make up air unit automatically comes on and pulls unconditioned air into the kitchen area - that would help to control the heat in the winter time but it will add to the heat in the summer time if you are in a hot climate.
March 13, 2014 at 9:00AM     
mlkfjams
Thank you very much for your responses. We have the 48" Viking hood and it doesn't help with the heat at all. Even without the Burners on (just the ovens) the kitchen gets too hot. So splitting the units would not really help this problem. Also the kitchen is completely done with calcutta gold marble counter tops. To start cutting and moving cabinets would be a huge job. Are any of these other 48" ranges/stoves better insulated? Wolf, etc? Im going to look into a reverse window fan to create a cheap MAU - at least in the winter. But I think I'm going to have to sell this Viking. Its unbearable
March 14, 2014 at 8:57AM   
karen757
Thank you for your input dkwindel. Yes, griddles do require a strong vent system, especially if they're gas. I've rarely used the electric one I currently have as a grill but have used it as a warmer. Mine is in an island also but I have a downdraft vent which will also have to be upgraded. I'm close to my decision and your info was most helpful, thanks again.
March 14, 2014 at 6:23PM   
bartschmid
Ok, I am getting ready to order all of my appliances for our new house and what I have pretty much taken away from this is - all appliances are designed now to last 8-10 years and then have to be replaced or repaired at an unheard of price tag. So buy individual company names according to what you like, and don't spend the extra thousands on higher end ones. Mix and match as you like. Is this pretty much it?
March 16, 2014 at 6:40AM     
Wildflower Designs Unlimited, LLC
That's what I'm seeing too. Have a 7 year old Frigidaire refrigerator with a broken water dispenser paddle. $200 to replace. We have well over $500 in repairs in this one appliance. We're also in the midst of planning a new home and have our house listed with appliances included so had to repair it. Our only splurge in the new house will be a Wolf 36" gas cooktop, otherwise mid-price appliances.
March 16, 2014 at 7:56AM     
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
bartschmid, when we talk with our appliance providers, this is what they tell us. We should not expect more than 8-10 years out of an appliance. If you get more than that, consider yourself lucky. I have the first refrigerator we ever bought installed in our horse barn. It is 36 years old - we're told that will never happen with today's appliances.
March 16, 2014 at 10:30AM   
Wildflower Designs Unlimited, LLC
I even contacted a state home economist. She said that industry standards for energy efficiency actually caused the appliances to be ready for the landfill after 8 years or so. She said that was ridiculous since the resources used to replace your appliances so often far exceeded those used for higher fuel costs.
March 16, 2014 at 11:36AM   
THE FRENCH BARN
Some brands still build their products to last 20+ years, but unfortunately today, most appliances have become "consumables" like other products of our daily lives (TVs, cellphones, etc...) Electronic components will eventually fail, whether in a range, fridge, or computer and often get expensive to repair... Although we have the technology to build things that last, it seems that most consumer products today are built with a "planned fail date"! Coincidence or not, the motherboard in our laptop went out 1 month after the warranty expired, isn't that funny? ;)
March 16, 2014 at 12:00PM     
mcs616
So very thankful for this thread!!! After reading everyone of them, I have reached the same conclusion as Bartschmid. My question is about a dishwasher. I have had ok luck with mid range dishwashers and am wondering if the $1500 + really do clean dishes "better" and more "sparkly"?
March 16, 2014 at 1:11PM   
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
We have clients that purchase the high end, expensive dishwashers and we have clients that purchase the middle of the road. Both seem to work well. We have clients that have had good luck with the Kenmore Elite upper end washers.
March 16, 2014 at 1:16PM     
aniluap2
I had a Miele dishwasher that did snd amazing job. Everything came out sparkling with just getting solids off before loading. Unfortunately as mentioned above needed repair for a cracked plastic overflow guard which cost $484 to repair after six years normal use. Had problems with their service outside the Philly area. I'm redoing a kitchen in my new home and trying to decide if I go with another Miele or high end Bosch. The difference with the high end dishwashers is they are quieter, wash without having to wah each dish of first and the internal design is made to accomadate wine glasses. I think its worth th investment if you hate to hand wah like I do.
March 16, 2014 at 1:57PM     
mathiskp
Does anyone have the Kitchenaid steam assisted wall oven and if so do you like it?
March 25, 2014 at 8:03PM   
unsatifiedbuyer
My husband and I bought a 6 burner Viking in April of 2005. Mistake #1, never pay the entire purchase price up front if you don't have to. We were told that the Appliance would arrive in 4 weeks. It didn't show up until August 8th! During the waiting period we were in constant contact with the dealer to find out where it was, there was never any really good reason but we held on because we loved what we saw in the showroom so much. Looks can be deceiving for sure. We have had many issues, ignitors replaced a couple of time, burner tubes, thermostat issue in the oven, our hood needed a new fuse, an oven pan now needs to be replaced, the welded beads just let loose and a problem with our oven door and upper right corner of our stovetop getting severly hot (it's been looked at twice in the past few years by viking tech). This problem hasn't been fixed and I don't think they know what to do. We measured the temp on the exterior of our stove/oven at 150 degrees! Takes just a couple of seconds to suffer a burn. We have to make sure to keep everyone away when we cook or have someone injured. We have talked to Viking people and the dealer and they stated that the unit was just turning 9 and that it is "normal" to have wear and tear. I have to say that this unit is a money pit and the experience of owning such a high end unit has not been a good one at all, would never do it again. Anyone want 2nd degree burns? just stop by my house. We have replaced more parts on this thing than all other appliances we have ever owned. From what I can tell, Viking doesn't stand by their product at all. When people come to our house and say "wow, what a beautiful stove" my husband and I just look at each other and know what we are each thinking....if they only knew.
March 30, 2014 at 5:03PM     
aniluap2
I agree with unsatisfied buyer. I bought one in 2000 and experienced a failed thermostat. Broken knobs among other things. Viking did not stand behind the product. They ate not worth the money. When we moved in 2006 we went with wolf .
March 30, 2014 at 8:23PM     
calmsea
Yes the three brands you mentioned are best avoided. Kitchenaid was named because of the aid required after purchase- first aid, band-aid, lemon-aid etc.
The Viking brand was conceived because it best reflects the brutal and savage repair scenarios reminiscent of the rape and pillaging by the historic Vandals, Goths and Ostrogoths.
The Wolf brand needs no explanation- howling packs of vicious repairmen and sales personnel in sheep-like clothing.
April 8, 2014 at 12:21AM     
THE FRENCH BARN
@calmsea, I have to admit, that's pretty funny! All these brands are good, but like anything mass-produced, you might get a "lemon" once in a while. It doesn't mean the entire line-up is bad though.
April 8, 2014 at 3:16PM   
unsatifiedbuyer
Calmsea, yes it was pretty funny. It made both my husband and I laugh. The entire experience has driven us over the edge. We finally had to order the pan for the bottom of the oven which just dropped, the new piece came in damaged and had to be reordered. I have been waiting for Viking in Conn. to call us about our oven door which I believe you could almost cook on because it gets so warm but so far no call so I guess I am going to have to do it. If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself. This appliance is the most expensive lemon I have ever purchased...sad sad affairs.
April 8, 2014 at 3:35PM     
nwrobb
I am so glad I found this thread- We are in the midst of a kitchen renovation. The only thing I know for sure is that I must have a Miele dishwasher like the one I left behind in our recent move. I am not enamoured of any one brand and had a horrible experience with a Miele washer and dryer (they literally fell apart after two years), but the dishwasher is THE BEST. I love the third rack for flatware and everything else about it. I thought I was sold on a Viking refrigerator and dual fuel range but then came home from the dealer and read the reviews. Now I'm thinking of the Kitchen Aid refrigerator and up in the air regarding the stove----GE Monogram, Kitchen Aid, Wolf??? It has to be a 30" as the kitchen in my downsized home is small- Thanks for all the information!
April 8, 2014 at 6:48PM     
debmoody12
Do NOT buy Wolf! They are all about the sale but NO SERvice. They use 3rd party service company that is clueless and simply try to convince you problem is your fault. They then IGNORE subsequent calls to wait till your nonexistent warranty runs out. I've spent $12k and very unhappy.
April 10, 2014 at 4:13AM     
Sustainable Dwellings
I have had Wolf commercial range and SubZero fridge... laugh me outta here, but in our new kitchen, I chose Fridgedaire Professional built in appliances. The individual fridge and freezer in a trim kit is absolutely awesome!!!! keeps my fresh veggies so well I have actually tested it with some produce, thinking it would kill us... It is so spacious, you would have to rob banks to fill it up! The dishwasher gets dishes sterile and does not spot fine glassware. The dual fuel range performs beyond my expectations. I had a very generous budget for my kitchen and could have whatever I wanted, I did. My custom island hood/fan was my biggest challenge. I suggest staying in your comfort zone, not collapsing to peer pressure, or what we think on this forum... PS; I did get Samsung VRT steam washer and dryer... LOVE THEM.
April 10, 2014 at 4:59AM     
jaffeb
Lbl56, one year ago you were trying to decide between Wolf and Kitchenaid range tops. What did you get? I had the same worry about cleaning the wolf island trim. Thanks!
April 10, 2014 at 7:33AM   
sylviasroses
First I want to thank everyone for their great input. I am new to this site. I have been looking for appliances for a complete kitchen renovation for almost 2 years. A lot of improvements in products in that time period. First, the only product I know I am going to purchase is Wolf's steam convection oven. It is amazing. I have seen it in action. I would like to purchase a gas rangetop. I have been looking at Thermador, Capital and Bluestar for a long time. I don't think I really need the 23,000 btu of the Capital. The Bluestar also is a great option. I have a gas commerical US Range in a house in the mountains of WV. No code when we put it in. I didn't even know there could be a problem. 26 years later not one service call. 24" gas griddle and 4 powerful burners. Easy to clean with pan underneath.

I need to make up my mind by next week. My husband wants this kitchen done. I have looked at the Wolf E Series single ovens. I would like to have the dehydration feature. Not all the ovens have that. I am also interested in Wolf's M series that is suppose to be coming out in December at a cost of between $5100 ad $5400. A big expense for an improved convection system with 2 rear columns and a 5.1 cubic capacity.

I like the new Thermador with the rotiserie. Not sure if I should spend the money. Part of me thinks I should just buy a less expensive brand. I have read a lot of bad reviews on Kitchenaid and Viking.

For a microwave I like the Monogram Advantium Speedcook Oven. Not sure if I should spend the money for this or just buy another brand microwave/convection.

Too much research and too many choices. I am going with a full size 36" refrigerator. Lookin at LG, GE or maybe Electrolux. Dishwasher maybe the 800 series Bosh, Kitchenaid or Miele. A store had a model from last year with a good price.

I do a lot of cooking. I really need a good gas rangetop not a cooktop. I have the original Thermador Gas Cooktop that came out in 1982 or 1983. I waited 6 months for it after my kitchen was installed. It was worth it. No problems. 4 burners and a griddle.

I wish someone would just tell me what to order. I am going to check out the Fridgedaire as one suggested earlier.

Thanks everyone
April 11, 2014 at 9:42PM   
gabethan
Sylviaroses - I have researched appliances for over a year looking at most of what you are looking at.

Cooktop- there are many fans of bluestar, but I could not find anybody in one of the largest US cities that sells it, so I didn't want to look at something that would be hard to service. I found the best reviews for Wolf. Thermador was very mixed.

Oven - no clear winner here. I looked at wolf/kitchenaid/thermador/electrolux/ge. Based on bad reviews of appliances that broke down far too early. I ruled out Thermador and Electrolux. If I had the budget for Wolf, that's what I would buy. There was one KitchenAid with blue enamel that got great reviews. I was also looking at the brand new European convection from GE that was also getting great reviews. I have read that GEs quality has seriously improved with new production in the US.

Steam oven- nothing but amazing feedback for wolf steam. Same with any brand induction if that's what you are interested in. Bosch and Miele had new steam ovens, too.

Refrigerator - the hardest part!!! I saw the frigidaire and was very tempted at size and price. I did not go that way because of feedback on frigidaire as a whole. I wanted the subzero columns. Price was too much for me. After endless research, we went with Thermador 30" columns because the later models have gotten great reviews and are the same unit that Miele builds their columns off of.

Hope that helps. I ended up finding a floor model of wolf range, so I never had to make a final decision on the wall oven.

Good luck!
April 12, 2014 at 6:06AM     
mathiskp
Thanks! After much angst I have decided to go with Wolf and Subzero.
April 13, 2014 at 6:36PM   
mathiskp
I also found out that Subzero is coming out with a 42"wide/24"deep upper French door fridge with freezer on bottom that I am planing to get. It will be out end of May/beginning of June.
April 13, 2014 at 6:38PM     
lbsquare
Go with a Blue Star range top ! They blow all others away if you are really into cooking.
April 18, 2014 at 4:15PM   
joannegay
When we renovated 13 years ago we went with Thermador because at the time, Viking did not have a closed burner system. I have been happy with it, but have had to get the stove igniters fixed at least 3 times. I have a griddle on it. I would not get a griddle again. Whoever designed it never cooked bacon on it. It is very hard to get the grease out of it. The condenser on the Subzero refrigerator failed and was fixed after 3 years under warranty. It failed again within a year. The repairman said that they had changed the design of the condenser. Since it was fixed the second time, we have had no problems with it. Our Miele dishwasher and washing machine have never had service in 13 years.
April 26, 2014 at 1:13PM   
sylviasroses
Ibsquare did you look at the Capital gas rangetop. I like both Blue Star and Capital. I am concerned about the igniters on the Blue Star. I have read bad things about that. Repair on either brand is what I worry about. What do you know about repair?
April 26, 2014 at 2:00PM   
sylviasroses
joannegay, would you buy Wolf today?
April 26, 2014 at 2:02PM   
zenhome
Joannegay, love my Miele dishwasher too and have never heard one negative comment about them. I do love my Viking range as well!
April 26, 2014 at 2:06PM   
joannegay
I would consider a Wolf. A lot depends upon the service people in the area. I am lucky that I live near enough to Boston that there are a lot of good service people for Thermador and Subzero.
April 27, 2014 at 5:52AM   
gjhd
We just purchased a Viking 30 dual fuel. Our renovation is completed except for the installation of the range. Come to find that we have to call our electrician back to lower the outlet so that the plug will not keep the range from being flushed with the wall. No one has told us that the outlet must be below 4 inches. That's basically to the floor. The specs doesn't give any indication of that as well. How in the world would our electrician know before we had received our range that he is to put the outlet so low. In designing the kitchen one would have to know these things, and I only had the specs for the designer and electrician which I thought would be adequate. That is a big piece of information that is lacking in the specs, installation guide and sales people. There wasn't a diagram of the back part of the range. That would have certainly helped. In the future, I hope that this information will be readily available to consumers to pass on to their electricians. All his work had to be done before the cabinets were installed for inspections. It really boggles my mind.
As for the refrigerator, it looks great. I was going to install a automatic shut off valve with a sensor to prevent accident. That was the reason for our renovation. Because the valve would stick out, the refrigerator would not be counter depth flushed. I therefore, decided not to add a water line to make ice or to have filtered water. Kinda of shame to spend that kind of money and not use that feature, but I hear too many horrors stories of water leaking and destroying the floor with the ice maker as with us. I don't use ice too often anyway.
April 27, 2014 at 5:38PM   
lbsquare
Silviaroses, I did look at capital. I love the star shaped burners of the Blue Star, and I live in Massachusetts where there is plenty of service should I need it on the blue star, but I don't think I will. I love that it has no electronic panels and is all American made as well. I cooked on Garlands (aka blue star) in restaurant kitchens and know it is the right stove for anyone serious about cooking.
April 29, 2014 at 6:30PM   
sylviasroses
lbsquare, do you have any issues with the igniters. I heard some problems occur after cleaning. I am not a messy cook but how is the clean up?
April 29, 2014 at 7:16PM   
sylviasroses
lbsquare, what other appliances did you buy or would you buy today. Refrigerator, ovens, dishwasher. Thanks, Helen
April 29, 2014 at 7:17PM     
lbsquare
We are buying a Meile warming drawer and an Electrolux refrigerator. The other feature we are installing is foot pedals for the kitchen faucet.
April 30, 2014 at 2:39AM   
lbsquare
Clean up is easy with open burners, but we don't have it in yet so I can't comment on ignighters.
April 30, 2014 at 2:41AM   
andyb959
Getting ready to start construction - was going the wolof-Sub Aero way and then found out that Viking has revamped their products and is now offering a 6 year warranty if you purchase oven, cooktop, exhaust fan and fridge. They also will give you a Viking dishwasher when you purchase the package. Fingers crossed! Hope I am making the right choice. The appliance won't go in until next spring and hopefully by then they will even be more improved.
July 5, 2014 at 3:37PM   
adivra
Good warranties are great. Often takes a long time to get satisfaction, though. I know of three people who had to go without ovens for far too long. They all love them when they work though. What I take from this thread is it's a turkey shoot buying appliances anymore. Plan on replacing wiithin 10 years regardless.
July 5, 2014 at 3:49PM   
aniluap2
They're offering a 6 year warranty because they need too. My experience with them was horrendous and will never purchase another Viking appliance!
July 5, 2014 at 4:22PM     
andyb959
When did you have the VIking appliances? Was it recent?
July 5, 2014 at 5:58PM   
aniluap2
No it was about eight years ago. When I moved to my next home I went with wolf because I had so many problems with my Viking 48" range . It cooked well but the thermostat failed after 3 yrs and it was almost a $ 500 repair. Little cheap knobs on the hood cracked and they charged me to replace + shipping. At least now they are willing to back their product since they have lost do much market share but I would want to know if management has changed and what they have done to make their product more reliable . I was pleased with my sub zero and so when I moved I went with wolf and was not disappointed.
July 5, 2014 at 7:18PM   
Caligirl
My husband and I have bought his parents home. The appliances are at least 10+ years old. Each one has something wrong with them. The last straw was the oven no longer will cook above 350. I have a flat surface cooktop (hate it) and I am switching to gas. Now comes the fun part... Deciding on new appliances. I am on information overload. The salesman at Sears almost had me walk out the door with a bundle package of Kenmore Elite appliances. I'm glad we decided to think it over.
My biggest dilemma is the stove/range. I want a dual fuel, double oven. I love the look of Kitchenaid. It reminds me of the nicer industrial ranges out there. But I don't like the black shiny enamel under the burners. I'm also looking for the best BTUs. And unfortunately, I can't go over 36". So if anyone can help with their experiences/input etc., I would GREATLY appreciate it.
July 6, 2014 at 6:01AM     
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I can tell you that, according to our appliance providers, the small double ovens (one stacked over the other) don't function very well. The top oven is basically the equivalent of a toaster oven and therefore has limited capability. Our clients have had good luck with the dual fuel Kitchenaid. We also had a client last year that installed the Jenn-Air 36" dual fuel and they love it. One of the things we look for in gas tops is that the burner surface is very level and won't allow anything to tip over as you move it across the surface.
July 7, 2014 at 6:31AM     
scooper25
Starting a renovation and I’m so confused with the ranges so many good ones to choose from. At the show room salesperson showed us the Ge Monogram ZDP364NRPSS I was very impressed. I was surprised by the price $7300! I had totally dismissed the Wolf ,Vikings etc due to the high prices. But now I’m thinking maybe go with the Wolf. But in comparison the GE sounds great but I can’t find many reviews on the GE Monogram? If anyone can comment on the GE please let me know. Contractor needs my appliance list asap! Thanks http://appliances.monogram.com/ApplProducts/ZDP364NRPSS
July 28, 2014 at 4:36AM     
carlsbadmark
Viking makes good ovens, but their customer service is terrible. Their HQ closes at 5PM CST. Not even bankers keep hours like this anymore. Customer support is outsourced to regional distributors, who don't have enough people on staff to answer the phone. If choosing between Viking and Wolf, it's not even close. Go with Wolf, or expect a Mercedes Benz price with a used car dealers support from Viking!!
August 6, 2014 at 2:23PM   
bungalowmo
Caligirl....I hated my flattop too. My idea of cooking isn't "on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off"
I had a GE Monogram. There is no gas service in my town, so I unfortunately had to stay with electric. I had purchased that new, so I wasn't going to buy another new stove. I started searching craigslist...

I found mine all right! She's been fully rewired & I have a big tub of spare burners, racks, dials & everything.

She's a beast. '47 Nash Kelvinator
August 6, 2014 at 2:51PM   
Wolf & Viking Stoves...?
I feel like houzz.com should change the kitchen section...
WOLF VS VIKING VS THERMADOR
I am a bit lost in choosing between wolf vs thermador...
Deciding between 36" 6 burner Viking cooktop or 36"5 burner wolf cooktop ,,
Currently have wolf cooktop and love it with the exception...
Accent Table Decor
Any inspiring pictures or ideas you can provide of...
Porcelain Tile manufacturer ratings
Is there a site that lists the most popular porcelain...
Exterior door color
Could someone please assist with a color suggestion...
What kitchen style goes with octagon & red dot floor tiles?
We're buying this contemporary house built in the 80s...
Grout color for Carrara Marble Tile?
Need to pick my grout color for our carrara marble...