Fireplace needs to be updated
johnhealy
November 26, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We are nearing the end of a very long and exhausting renovation.
The fireplace pictured here is the area in question.
It was very difficult, but we managed to center the firebox (it had been off center to the left) by working around the other flues and moving it forward. Now, we'd like to update the look of the fireplace.
The current plan calls for the areas to the left and right of the fireplace to be floating shelves with cabinets on the bottom.
The ceilings are low... slightly under 8 feet actually.
I am willing to look into any design, so long as it doesn't break the bank. The install has already been paid for.
Originally, we wanted to have a simple white marble mantel with a steel surround on the inside. However, the quotes I have gotten on getting a custom mantel were way too much.
I am open to all suggestions. Thanks for your help! Looking forward to all of your responses.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
With the right wall wider than the left I'd use one side for shelves and the other for a built-in TV. Here are a couple of thoughts.
FORMA Design
Traditional Living Room
November 26, 2012 at 5:02pm   
johnhealy
Thanks. I think both are nice. Not sure either will really work with the space perfectly, but i like the concepts.
November 27, 2012 at 7:43am   
johnhealy
But I agree with you... TV on the right and shelves on the left. Do you have any opinions on the type of stone I should use for the mantel? Some people love brick, but it feels a little too dated for me. I live in a brownstone in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan. I'd like a more sleek look.
November 27, 2012 at 8:00am   
Lori Zarcone
I don't know if you will like this style, but our fireplace was very similiar (and off center too). We added a gas fireplace and built out the walls on either side, adding 2 floating shelves on each side. The wavy tile is a gypsum tile and was one of the less expensive options for tiling this much wall.
November 27, 2012 at 8:16am   
charleee
Make the shelves on the left and right of equal length, and in the extra space in the right corner add a great lamp: [houzz=Blu Dot Stilt Floor Lamp]

Paint your brick gray, and add a mantle to match your floating shelves: [houzz=Dwellings]
November 27, 2012 at 8:16am     
apple_pie_order
What do you mean by a "steel surround"?
November 27, 2012 at 8:19am   
johnhealy
the area in between the mantel and the firebox. It was intended to be steel. I'll attach a picture of the original design.
November 27, 2012 at 8:31am