Hot or Not?
annades
We just purchased this rug, because we wanted to add some color to our mainly brown, black and grey living room. We had it for 3 days now and I'm in doubt this is the right rug for the space & style. The room is still work-in-progress, i.e. we're planning to exchange the sofa for creme colored one and add picture frames on the brown wall. So, I believe I can bring in more color balance, but what about the pattern of the rug? Isn't it too big and too bold for the room? Doesn't it require matching retro furniture? I'm all for eclectic, but it has to be harmonious... Return the rug or keep and fix the look? What are your suggestions?
Thank you!
SweetDreen
It almost looks like it should be turned the other way. But I can't wait to see what everyone else says ;)
6 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 10:33AM
annades
Ha! It did cross my mind as well. I'll try to do it and post a new picture. Thank you!
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 10:50AM
Natalie
I love it and that little pop of orange from your throw looks great... CheerS!
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 11:03AM
HI -- I love the bold hits of color ! But do you want this over the long term ? Try it turned the other way and then decide if it is what you want . This will always dictate the style of the room. If you think you will want to change your style in the future ,and you will , it happens to us all , what then ? This is a hard one because it is a nice rug . I like the sofa but maybe another color like the cream but it will show the dirt more. Maybe it comes in a heather grey or a texture ? Maybe a more neutral rug and then add color with bold large print or paintings !
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 11:03AM
Nancy Hehmann
I like it too! But, if it does not blow you away perhaps you should look at some more designs before deciding.
1 Like   November 27, 2012 at 11:17AM
houssaon
I think the rug is great, but I would get a larger one! It goes great with your wall colors which are fairly subdued.
1 Like   November 27, 2012 at 11:21AM
Natalie
Maybe something fun---but all neutral would be more appealing to you... http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/united-weavers-la-chic/burgundy/14151021334-11003.html
5 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 11:26AM
annades
Thank you for your comments and suggestions. As a start I did turn the rug and voilà! Much better already, no? :)
11 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 11:44AM
I like it! The orange toss blanket looks great with it too.
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 11:47AM
mmilos
Keep your current couch. It looks good with the rug. A creme sofa might get lost with that rug.
A chrome and glass rectangular coffee table would look good.
3 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 11:51AM
SweetDreen
I like it.
1 Like   November 27, 2012 at 11:52AM
tennisanyone
A picture of the whole room would help. For me, it doesn't seem to relate to the sofa, walls, just that it is a bold rug. I may change my mind when I see the entire room.
1 Like   November 27, 2012 at 11:53AM
iambicgirl
I love the rug and agree that the rug should be turned. I have a very bold rug in my living room. I chose one of the colors in the rug and used that color for throw pillows and accessories. I think that you must also consider what to do about window treatments in order to make the room look cohesive.
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 12:13PM
Aja Mazin
Your statue seems lost in the corner :)
1 Like   November 27, 2012 at 12:55PM
Lori Zarcone
I would add some lime green throw pillows for the sofa if I were to keep it. I think that the rug needs a white background, though. I'm not feeling the beige unless the white chair and white statue aren't there.
1 Like   November 27, 2012 at 1:13PM
Aja Mazin
"Return the rug or keep and fix the look? "

If it were mine, I would return it.
1 Like   November 27, 2012 at 1:47PM
michigammemom
The beige and milk chocolate wall colors throw me off. I think the rug would be more at home if the walls were white for an ultra contemporary look.
1 Like   November 27, 2012 at 1:59PM
redheadedwmn
Love! The rug looks better after your turned it. Do you like the colors? Is that what drew you to it? If so I would pick one and paint an accent wall in the room. Tangerine is very "in" right now or the aqua color would be pretty. If not, how about adding some long curtains to incorporate the colors into the room more. Agree with above posts, keep the current couch and add colorful pillows.
5 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 2:10PM
Chaz Schaad
I think it will be fine, you just have to bring the lighter background color of the rug out into your accessories and other textiles. The colors are nice with your couch and floors.

The main problem is that your entertainment center is very dark and its shape is very square compared to the rounded corners in the rug's motif. I would paint it the same magenta as the shape in the rug to blend it into the space better
2 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 2:14PM
Stanton Designs-online design services
The rug is great! I do have to say I love how it looks with a dark blue sofa. If you go with a creme colored sofa.... you need to find some bold pillows to bring those colors up to your sofa!
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 2:17PM
annades
wow! love this forum... A couple of comments: The existing sofa is actually graphite color (sorry for the bad picture quality) and I feel it competes with the chocolate in the rug. The black media console was actually purchased with the idea of painting it a different color at some point. Again - it's work-in progress, but it's great to know that the is a future in this rug. And I'm happy with a 2-3 year long solution. There is no long term in my house ;) Love your suggestions @redheadedwmn!
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 3:27PM
Susan Soto
I think you need furniture that is more to scale with the big boldness.. The media console should be larger/longer more beautiful... Perhaps a nice mid century modern in teak or walnut with beautiful lines. And a more interesting chair, poufs, movable tables etc.
I think either room you describe would look great -
2 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 3:35PM
mmilos
For me, in the limited pictures you've posted, your existing sectional sofa looks perfect. It has the right modern chrome feet and track arms. I like the dark color too to help ground the space and provide balance to the dark TV console/speakers. Perhaps painting the walls a consistent light gray would make you feel differently about the sofa.
0 Likes   November 27, 2012 at 3:38PM
Kerry Chai
4 good sized picture frames around the TV wall unit. 2 on each side. If it were me, I'd paint each one to match one of the accent colors in the carpet. Bring the floor to tie to in with the walls some more.
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 7:51PM
janetdixieinc
Love you sofa with the rug. If you keep it you have commited to very bright, bold pillows for the sofa. This is a must to marrying the rug/sofa combo. Also, solid color on window treatments if disired. Pictures with lots of color too. Is your kitchen off this room? You can do chunks of these colors in cannisters, place mats, etc. Then your home will be cohesive in your color theme. If you decide not to keep the rug, then I would go with a neutral color and bring in color with window treatments and pillows, etc.
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 7:55PM
lovebalancedlife
I do love the rug as well and would have bought it just for its colore. The rest of the pieces do not work for me, but by picking up the rugs' colors with small items here and there you wil creat a balanced picture. Few pillows on the sofa in the same colors different texturs as the rug, a decorative piece on the entertaiment centre, and pillow on the chair posiably in a combination of few colors from the rug will force the eye to travel around the room and away from the rug which is the strongest "punch line" in the room right now.
0 Likes   November 29, 2012 at 8:10PM
Alicia Cannon Interior Design
In my opinion, if you like this trendy pattern, and bold color, do it in a pillow pattern, or accessory, not an entire rug. If this rug pattern, was in a few differing shades of neutral, and a bit of that sofas dark tone, I think it would be a touch more timeless. It is nice to make final decisions and not be returning, and repurchasing items constantly, which gets to be a pain, and not to mention costly. If you feel you can handle this amount of trendy home fashions go for it. It does sound a bit like you are questioning many of your choices, which for some can be unsettling. This space should shout "you". Determine what patterns always say home to you and love what you desire to live with, because it was "your" choice for the right reason. I agree with turning the rug. Getting to the point, where the room, when you enter it, always feels like it belongs to you for all your classic good looks, and thoughtful choices, that are timeless, is a point we'd all like to reach. Then we can go about "living", and not constant choosing stuff. Good luck!
A small apartment I did for a client, shows a neutral at work, with color added. Look for it on Houzz. Alicia Cannon Interior Design, Houston, TX.
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 2:55PM
Linda Anthony
Love the rug but it needs to be larger. Generally, an area rug fills the space to within one foot of the walls. Your bow window would not count in that measurement, just the wall it's on.
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 2:59PM
anekasan
Where did you get this rug? It is goregous
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 3:06PM
Aja Mazin
anekasan,

That rug is on wheels! http://www.houzz.com/discussions/183178

aja
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 3:19PM
Aja! I never realized it was the same rug! Funny!
1 Like   November 30, 2012 at 3:23PM
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
If you are truly purchasing a creme sofa - return the rug. This rug and creme would not do well together.
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 3:28PM
Aja Mazin
olldbob,

A lot of items are recycled.
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 3:34PM
anekasan
I have a dressing room in a color thats in the rug and would love to add it to the room. Can anyone tell me what store its sold in?
1 Like   November 30, 2012 at 3:38PM
Aja! I get it! On wheels, recycled...hehehehe
1 Like   November 30, 2012 at 3:43PM
anitajoyce
Love the rug. Love it that you turned it around and some of the blue is showing. I think a different wall accent color would work better in the room with the rug and the furniture. You could paint the accent wall the same color as the wall with the windows or a green or rust wall color that's in the rug would give better balance to the room with the colors that are already in your rug and sofa.
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 3:44PM
Aja Mazin
anekasan,

Sale $394.19 at Overstock.com for an 8' x10' rug.
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 4:30PM
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 4:46PM
sondramartina
Frank ,we know it is you! ;)
1 Like   November 30, 2012 at 4:57PM
Aja Mazin
It needs pillows.
2 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 5:03PM
tffaulhaber
Ooo. I do believe I need this rug!
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 10:38PM
Dora Tokarski
I agree with the poster who said you need a window treatment to tie it all together. Also the little white chair seems lost in the room. Adding a nice large plant near the windows would add a little something to the room and give it more life, or put a narrow tall table in the space in the front of the windows. Also remove the little white deco that is on the floor in corner near tv to the table you may put in front of the windows that also houses the plant. The rug is nice.
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 11:15PM
annades
Yes, the rug is nice. That's probably the reason why I got attracted to it in the first place. The colors are vibrant and the quality is good, but... I believe it needs a large open room to show it's full potential. It would look better in a loft or perhaps in an Eichler home... in a room with a lot of air, where you could see it as a whole. We don't have that space. The pattern seems too large for the room. I'm suffocated by it. And while I can balance out the colors it still requires specific forms and shapes to create a cohesive environment. Someone mentioned a mid-century modern credenza as a entertainment console - I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately this rug is not worth a complete make-over of my house. I simply don't feel. I'm returning it.

Thanks for your ideas and comments. I thought this was a really interesting exercise.
3 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 12:56AM
bdennison
Maybe reconsider Natalie's post above.The colors are beautiful.
"Natalie

Maybe something fun---but all neutral would be more appealing to you... http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/united-weavers-la-chic/burgundy/14151021334-11003.html "
0 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 4:07AM
sondramartina
Annades if you feel like it is not right then it is not. I made mistake keeping mine and now I have to live with it.
1 Like   December 1, 2012 at 5:56AM
I agree this rug is a great addition to the room. Not sure if you are going to add a coffee table or ottoman which would make the rug not 'stand out' as much.
0 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 6:07AM
annades
I'm sorry bdennison, I think that rug is awful.
0 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 9:48AM
Aja Mazin
Next.
2 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 10:15AM
Hot or not?
I was gonna buy a couch set. Sofa love seat and chair...
Carpet - hot or not?
Carpet is a UK flooring favourite, it can even be found...
Is dip-dye hot or not?
Ombre and dip-dye techniques can look amazing and can...
Decorate a blank wall above kitchen sink
I have dark wood cherry cabinets and neutral cream...
What kind of sofa should I pair with this one?
I have this limited edition distressed leather chesterfield...
finding help for under and in cabinet lighting....
I feel like I am in over my head... how do I hire someone...
Need help for a room divider.. :(
Hello I would like to put a room divider between my...
How to light this dining room?
When I look on Houzz at Dining Room lighting, very...