Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xaloux

Paint colours and furniture choices

Xaloux
11 years ago
Hi All,
I have this mustard living room which overlooks my hallway. It's definitely not finished and I need a lot of help....This is what I have in mind...I want to add a teal couch (attached image from the store, I can order it in teal), and a rug with some teal, beige and brown in it...Also I saw these glass coffee tables with curvy gold legs (will attach image). I have yet to buy the teal couch and tables and carpet - wanted to know if it will look good, or will it be too much ?
I also want to know what colour would be good for painting the entrance and corridor overlooking the gold / mustard room. All your advice is much appreciated!

Comments (41)

• victorianbungalowranch
    11 years ago
    I think the coffee table isn't quite right for the mid-century vibe you got going. I don't know--might work if spaced far enought from the wire rosettes and with the new couch.

Teal couch could work with a different and much bigger rug, and some cooridinating pillows for the beige furniture. Could even add a dash of burnt orange or tangerine for a triadic color scheme. Add some modern art and it could be quite striking.

Maybe a lighter version of teal/Tiffany blue could go in the very front entry, and would pick up the blue in the vase.and the rest can stay white or maybe taupe/greige or beige kind of color.
  • houssaon
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I agree that the coffee table doesn't seem to fit.

Love the couch. Are you going to have two couches in the room?

If you get the teal rug (not shown) make sure it is at least twice the size of the red rug. I would also double up on the drapery fabric and extend the rod a bit beyond the window. It will look much more elegant with more fabric or at least more of it showing. Try extending the rod about two or three inches on each side to let the drapery hang looser.

If you are willig to go dark, try
    North Creek Brown 1001 Paint · More Info
    in the foyer and corridor. Or really dramatic black ink.

I would cluster the mirrors closer together and get a big bold painting on the other wall!
  • Xaloux
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thx for the advice guys! You guys really have me thinking. I never thought of adding tangerine to the teal/biege room....Love the color choices above too - thanks houssaon. Yes, I will be adding the teal couch opposite the my biege couch. Attached is a pic of the space from that angle. Its a very long room.
  • Leva
    11 years ago
    Not sure if this interests you, but I put it in my ideabook awhile back. I love this room!
    misc. · More Info
  • Xaloux
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    thx tennisanyone - I love my cream couch and intend to keep it however the room is vey large I needed to add more pieces. it was originally meant to be a dining and living and I'm using it as a living room. I am however not set on the color in the room, the previous homeowner painted it and i just thought I would work with it since its recently painted..@lauraeva, that blue is superb on the walls and would really show off my mirrors, not sure if I could tolerate in on all walls though. And if I go with this blue then I cant do the teal, it would be just too much. thx for the ideas!
  • rosiegabby
    11 years ago
    I like the mustard color. I would buy the rug first and then get the couch. I think the rug will be the key to getting your colors to work.
  • Xaloux
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    You are right...I think that's exactly what I'll do. Will wait on the couch....I do desperately need to get some tables in there. Do the ones I added in the pics above go, or are they too goldy ? Also, I'm planning to put the round table, you can barely see it in the pic in between the two chairs - are they any rules as to the height of tables ?
    Please feel free to send me pics of coffee tables that you think would go better than the ones I am thinking of going for.
  • tennisanyone
    11 years ago
    More pictures of the whole room would help determine what pieces to get.
  • PRO
    Maison Le Fete
    11 years ago
    Consider a contemporary console on the opposite wall where the grills are. You don't want to block airflow. You could flank with side chairs and/or place small stools underneath. Top with colorful lamps and some gold accessories, books, etc.
  • rosiegabby
    11 years ago
    I am not sure what runs tables you are referring to. I like the coffee table you selected. I think it will look very nice with the metal art on the walls.
  • PRO
    Paintings by K.E.Gilmore
    11 years ago
    This is a shameless plug, but also a genuine suggestion based on your desire for an original abstract to go with your colors. Be ready to think in the same color families with a painting while not matching the colors exactly. The photo attached is an example of what I mean. For more readymade abstracts, or custom paintings, feel free to visit: http://www.etsy.com/shop/PaintingsByKEGilmore
  • Elizabeth Benetti
    11 years ago
    get larger rug featuring yellow or gold background with rust and teal accents. Replace cushions with teal and yellow/ gold s with splashes of rust . Add in esspresso coffee and end tables replace drapes with fuller one matching wall colour. Paint hall in teal add small gold or yellow accents ( key dish, tablel lamps ,artwork etc) Keep hall table dark and door and all trimwork white.

found rug
  • purplequeen
    11 years ago
    Consider painting over the mustard walls with Benjamin Moore macadamia nut,#191. It's a soft yellow /gold. On the walls the color has more depth than it shows on the tiny paint color card. It's warm and can function as a neutral.. We just used it for our open space living, dining rooms and halls. It transformed the space, adding warmth and cheer, and enhanced our ivory loveseats and chairs. Also consider paining the molding the same color as the walls so that it doesn't break the space with a sharp contrast between the white and very dark floor.
  • lreese123
    11 years ago
    On the color side...my living room was nearly the same color and opens to both the foyer and dining room. My foyer is a soft green-blue - tidewater blue. My dining room is a spicy pumpkin color. Both the colors work well with the mustard color and the flow is nice. The molding in all the rooms is gloss white. The entryways from room to room are arched. I painted the inside of the arches white, that was important to break the colors and is just what was needed in my case. Here's the kicker - I said WAS mustard. Then I bought a teal chesterfield sofa. I absolutely love the teal couch but not with the mustard walls. It just felt like it was color EVERYWHERE! For me, a cream color wall was the resolution. The I accented with cream and soft grey. My advice - if you're not in love with the wall color, change it. Get the couch you want. The tufted teal screams SASSY! I really like it!
  • jasen54
    11 years ago
    As the former owner of a teal couch, I would strongly advise that you get a neutral couch and accessorize with teal accents, wall colors and artwork. LOVE the couch you already have. ALWAYS invest in a rug first and upholstered furniture afterwards. It's much easier to find dozens of upholstery fabrics to coordinate with your rug than vice versa. Your home is beautiful with tons of potential. Good luck!
  • Marcia
    11 years ago
    I also have teal in my living room. My friend who paints houses recommended a weathered oak (Valspar) kind of a taupe/mushroom for the walls and it looks awesome. I have a mocha sofa and use dark teal in my curtains and pillows and other accents....one suggestion for a coffee table is that might be another place to add color. Hit your local Goodwill or Salvation Army and get a older looking table and paint it light blue or turquoise to add color. I have dark wood tables but only because they were on sale for a set of 3 for $49 after rebate (couldn't resist!) but I'm still thinking of painting them. I added a sage wood chair (bought at Goodwill and painted) by my fireplace and a turquoise (small) curio cabinet (garage sale, I painted it) for little pops of color to brighten a too stuffy room (open concept living/dining/kitchen). I'd take pictures but I'm still painting and the place is tore apart...hope to finish soon so I can put up my x-mas tree! Pinterest is another good place to go for pictures and suggestions...Good luck!
  • PRO
    Cynthia Bliss Johnson at Ethan Allen
    11 years ago
    I thought you would appreciate how lovely teal and yellow compliment each other in these photos from my Houzz profile. Red is another accent color to consider adding in your space. I applaud your color confidence!
  • Belle La Vue
    11 years ago
    Here's some yellow and teal here as well... try the link
    Contemporary Beach Living Room · More Info
  • Belle La Vue
    11 years ago
    Notice how the above picture shows mustard on the ceiling and pale teal on the wall. You could do the reverse and put teal on the ceiling... I agree that you should not buy the teal couch. You will tire of it. Try smaller ticket items to bring in the teal. You might even be able to pick up some inexpensive second hand coffee table or table and paint it teal as in the picture above.
  • Belle La Vue
    11 years ago
    More food for thought.... injecting some of the tangerine
    Glenwood Residence · More Info
  • Belle La Vue
    11 years ago
    Another
    Living Room · More Info
  • Belle La Vue
    11 years ago
    One more idea... you could throw a pop of teal into the room using a throw. I have attached a picture of a chair where they had tucked the throw under the seat cushion so it becomes more part of the overall design of the piece. I think you could do that with a couch as well. The photo does not have your colors in it specifically but I wanted to show you what I meant as far a tucking in the throw. See how it becomes part of the piece. Get a teal throw to put over the back of the couch and tuck under seat when you get tired of the teal you can just remove it. Much easier than getting a new couch.
    Michelle's Master Bedroom. · More Info
  • mpoulsom
    11 years ago
    I say get the couch you want/love and change the mustard wall paint to something more neutral!
    Not so sure about the coffee table. It looks a little too ornate to me.
  • janetdixieinc
    11 years ago
    I was wondering if you have an inspirational art piece that you gathered your colors from. I would strongly suggest painting. I like the pale teal. The teal colors range from greens to blues today. Something in the middel would be nice. Love, love you furniture pieces. I think once you paint and add some pillows with geometric large shapes you will be amazed. You could toss in tangerines for sure. Also, look for a chair(s) covered in a teal/beidge herringbone pattern. I truly think painting is going to be the trick here. Agree, the rug should be twice the size. A nice beige would be nice for your foyer. Beige will make your trim color pop. SW Plantation Beige is a good one. I'm not sure if it's still on their charts. They will mix it for you though. Love your space!
  • Xaloux
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I love this site, and love this community! I'm so excited about all the great comments and suggestions you have all given me. Thank you so much - I sure have a lot of food for thought! Merci!
  • PRO
    KG STYLE DESIGNS
    11 years ago
    Colorful pillows and wall art would be an instant color fixer. Needs a coffee table too and some less monochromatic curtains.
  • PRO
    KG STYLE DESIGNS
    11 years ago
    I like the teal..that would definitely add a punch of color. I also don't think the coffee table matches the feel you're going for.Try something in a more solid dark wood tone.
  • Xaloux
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thx! I have concluded that I need to look out for new tables for sure, the ones I posted earlier are definitely out based on all your great feedback. With all these ideas, my weekend should be a fun one...rug shopping, art are first on the list. And next will be painting the place...will keep you posted with pics once its all implemented. I also really the idea of adding some teal on the couch through a throw - thx Bonnie...
  • nanett1
    11 years ago
    I agree with all the comments about a neutral couch. You may tire of it. Get a much larger rug with the colors you love and then add pillows and throws to add visual interest. The things you have the wall now are too small and too high. Add a piece of art that is large and dynamic. The coffee table seems too ornate. I would go with glass but something a little more simple, I would go with a more neutral color on the wall. The curtains seem kind of out of contest. They need to be fuller and a different color which will be decided by the rug. Looks like you need two couches and end tables. The tables don't have to match.
  • Carmen Haram
    11 years ago
    check out crate and barrel for coffee table/end tables...i like the idea of solid dark wood tone and they have some affordable options. i vote yes to a neutral sofa (love the one you chose), teal/tangerine color added with throw, pillows, art. i think finding the rug and building the rest from that is wise...have you looked @ overstock.com? we just painted our master bedroom with Frappe, a Valspar signature paint. It's a great taupe/grey neutral that you might consider for your foyer ... different drapes would be a priority for me in your space. Cost plus/Ikea have some fun, affordable options. Can't wait to see your creativity expressed!
  • Brian Gingras
    11 years ago
    I love the room but I would purchase another cream sofa not a teal sofa what will you do with the teal sofa once you are tired of the colour? cream goes with everything. I would suggest that you check out some second hand stores for tables look for some retro period pieces and paint them teal. purchase a cream carpet as well you can add your teal colour in accents such as cushions and art work. on the wall behind the two wing chairs purchase a retro period sideboard and paint it teal it is good for storage and will fill the space. I would also change the wall colour back to mushroom coloured cream and paint the hallway and entrance the same you have way to many colours going on for such an open concept. beef up the window coverings they are to skimpy sew a simple band of teal into each panel do not pool the fabric on the floor that look is out of date. also look for some retro period lamps at second hand stores or if you can find some new period reproductions peaces.
  • Brian Gingras
    11 years ago
    I love the room but I would purchase another cream sofa not a teal sofa what will you do with the teal sofa once you are tired of the colour? cream goes with everything. I would suggest that you check out some second hand stores for tables look for some retro period pieces and paint them teal. purchase a cream carpet as well you can add your teal colour in accents such as cushions and art work. on the wall behind the two wing chairs purchase a retro period sideboard and paint it teal it is good for storage and will fill the space. I would also change the wall colour back to mushroom coloured cream and paint the hallway and entrance the same you have way to many colours going on for such an open concept. beef up the window coverings they are to skimpy sew a simple band of teal into each panel do not pool the fabric on the floor that look is out of date. also look for some retro period lamps at second hand stores or if you can find some new period reproductions peaces.
  • PRO
    The Staging Guy, LLC
    11 years ago
    I would recommend not buying the sofa in Teal. Although it would definitely make one heck of a statement, it may not be a statement that you will want to hear after a few months. Keeping the bold color in accessories will be better in the long run. Others above have made some excellent suggestions on tables - painted furniture looks fantastic and is current.
  • Xaloux
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yeah, I think I'll forget about the teal sofa and instead use teal accents - the curtains can go too (bought them w/the house) I like the idea of adding a teal band into each panel. Online reviews seem to indicate its not a good idea for Canadians to purchase from overstock.com. I can check out ikea for drapes when I get to that, and modify them. I dont know of any second hand furniture stores, the idea of painting old tables sounds interesting - will do some research. I saw these tables, on a Cdn site - what do you think ? http://www.leons.ca/accent-and-occasional-furniture/occasional-tables/collections/madeira/1525986.aspx
  • PRO
    Paintings by K.E.Gilmore
    11 years ago
    If you do paint this type of table, see if you can remove the glass before painting. If not, I highly recommend you use the specialty blue tape marked "for delicate surfaces" to protect any part of the table that you do not want painted. I use it for making straight edge horizon lines when painting canvases, but I've also used it on wood panel. Also, if you want geometric patterns painted on a table, you can also use it to mask the edges of simple shapes like you would use a stencil. Best of luck with your room projects :)
  • Xaloux
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thx for the tips Kirsten :)
  • khanyam
    11 years ago
    Of course, you can buy ready-made plain curtains and add a band of similar weight fabric to the bottom of them. A good rule is to make the coloured strip as high as the bottom ledge of the window. - and guess what? You can make the colour TEAL! Get sick of teal, unpick the band at the bottom and add a different colour. And install a rod that extends beyond the actual window frame, when the curtains are open, they can be bunched against the wall either side and the window will look bigger.
  • PRO
    Nancy Elliott Realtor Stager
    11 years ago
    I use these colors in my LR so here goes... I have a SOFT mustard colored couch but it is a transitional one ..you HAVE a contemporary one now but you are looking at a traditional one....ONE WITH THE BUTTONS will cost you a lot of money if you ever decide to recover it. Buy one in a style that can go either way through the years, so it can be recovered. The secret is going to be your wall color and your rug....which can be your most inexpensive purchase. Buy a synthetic, that looks like wool, IF YOU HAVE ANIMALS ...if NOT? just don't spend a fortune..buy a darker leapord rug in 5x7 size for just under your table. "Deep six" your current table its too dressy. Get a plain one in a painted iron...or silver....not a heavy wood or anything heavy. Buy 2 comfortable chairs similair to mine, I would suggest in linen , if you can. You may not be able to do this all at once ...it's take mme several years to do....but get good things when you purchase THE FIRST TIME....that's a mistake a lot of people make!!! THEN IT ALWAYS COSTS YOU MORE. i PAINTED my room, relaxed khaki by Sherwin Williums with a cream trim. For accessories, I added lamps from POTTERY BARN. You need a large tall piece in the room for something to "anchor" IT WITH. MINE HOLDS A LARGE TV AND IS STORAGE. Never ever show your TV unless it's on a wall in a cabinet hidden. (There will be many that will disagree with me on this!) Good luck!
    Xaloux thanked Nancy Elliott Realtor Stager
  • Angela Broadnax
    11 years ago
    i picked up on lauraeva idea with navy blue walls. I found it quite attractive. i used the paint program from windows to illustrated the transformation. i am not that skilled using the program yet, but you get the idea
    Xaloux thanked Angela Broadnax
  • Xaloux
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the ideas Nancy - you have a lovely home. Hopefully mine will look as well put together when its finished. And the tables in my initial pic and teal couch have certainly been deep sixed! I do however like the idea of a bigger rug in this room as some of the other folks have suggested. @ Angela - thank you for putting together the above picture , it really puts it into perspective for me. Its certainly helped me really "see" laureva's idea...I love the shelves you added on the wall, it really adds great interest to the room. Thank you so much!
  • PRO
    Nancy Elliott Realtor Stager
    11 years ago
    Xaloux...my suggestion for you........paint all your walls A SOFT mustard color CALL "Seagrass, from The Sherwin Williams "Historic Charleston Collection"....look on "Craig's List for a nice metal coffee table, get 2 QUALITY contemporarty standing lamps to put on either side of the couch of get 2 contemporary one's to mount over the sofa. Again, look on craig's list for nice dark piece to go up against your wall ...the taller the better...you need the height.....I would do a Roman shade in a matching wall color / cotton/linen material. I think draperies are too dressy for your room and heavy looking. I would add 2 ...20" pillows in a contemporary pattern with some teal in it ...and 2....18" with the mustard color in the walls and teal.....I would add a large mirror in one of sunburst styles....
    food for thought!
    Xaloux thanked Nancy Elliott Realtor Stager