Love this space. Can you please tell me about the fireplace surround and screen? Thanks.
islanddevil
November 27, 2012 in Photo Questions
Elizabeth Hagins Interior Design
Thank you so much! Both the fireplace surround and the screen were made by the very talented artisans of the College of Building Arts in Charleston, S.C. Unless you live near Charleston, that info probably doesn't help you too much, but I did want to give them a plug.

Otherwise, the screen is very similar to one from La Forge Francaise. I'm not sure that they sell directly to the public -- I do know that they are available through Niermann Weeks, which is also a trade resource and sells to architects and designers. I'd suggest contacting both.

The surround is less straightforward. It is made of pulled plaster, which I then had aged by a local faux finish artist. I'm not sure that there are many specialists in plaster around; perhaps if you live in or near an historic area. Otherwise, a good stone mason could reproduce this. I'm sure there are companies that make stone or maybe faux stone mantles. I'm sorry I don't know of any, but perhaps other Houzz readers do.

I wish I could be of more help, but hopefully this will give you some direction. Thanks again for your nice comment!
1 Like   November 28, 2012 at 6:18AM
islanddevil
Alas I'm on the West Coast so no access to the talented artisians at the College of Building Arts, but thank you for all the details One more question. Is the fireplace opening covered by screen only or are there also glass doors? Thanks again.
0 Likes   December 8, 2012 at 4:27PM
Elizabeth Hagins Interior Design
We retrofitted a gas insert, so I'm pretty sure there are glass doors. it was ugly, so our objective was to cover it up. The screen does the job.

As for your location, I'm sure you can find equally talented folks where you are, and faux stone is pretty widely available.
0 Likes   December 8, 2012 at 5:30PM
islanddevil
Thanks Elizabeth. I see a lot of pretty screens, but never any nice doors so hoping to also cover up.
0 Likes   December 8, 2012 at 6:58PM
Elizabeth Hagins Interior Design
I hear you on that...wish I could help. Maybe a business for some enterprising person out there?
0 Likes   December 9, 2012 at 5:43AM
islanddevil
No problem, just a compliment to your great inspiring work. Thanks for sharing.
0 Likes   December 9, 2012 at 10:57AM
Elizabeth Hagins Interior Design
You are so nice and more than welcome. But now you have me thinking...I'll keep my eyes open for a good solution to those standard issue ugly glass doors, and if I come up with a resource, I'll pass it along. Good luck!
0 Likes   December 9, 2012 at 11:18AM
Something is missing. Help!
i need help living room look too plain. everything...
Daniel Montel
Steam shower
Probably going to update our shower and convert to...
ddo323
New apartment!
Just moved in. Here's a few photos of the living and...
Julian Velez
Mast bedroom ... What to do with space!
We changed the closet to a "walk through closet" basically...
Brenna Pearce
Can I mix it up?!
I have an oak pedestal table in my dining room. I...
Dionne