Help with floor plan for better flow to the Dining Room from Kitchen
toothfairytoo
We are in the blue print stage with building home. I am now concerned about the flow from the kitchen to the dining room With the original floor plan there was originally NOT a liitle "nook" or small office from the kitchen to the dining room. I had this added so that I could use it to put all of my kids school related things in this area with a computer. BUt now it has blocked off the flow from the kitchen to the dining room. Any ideas how can I make this work by changing wall (from the inside only) and I am not willing to switch dining room and study.
Kelly Crouse (Pace) Huntwood Industries
I see what you mean. Do you mind if I play with it for a bit?
November 29, 2012 at 9:48am   
goodtastedna
Your floor plan distorts when I enlarge it so this is based on some assumptions on my part. If it were my house and I were making changes based on #1 ease and #2 cost effectiveness, I would eliminate what appears to be a coat closet between the kitchen and dinning room and make that the access to the dinning room from the kitchen. Leave the side walls as drawn and slightly lengthen the wall on the dinning room foyer side at the end by the kitchen. As little as 2 feet would accomplish defining two separate access points. (This means moving your HVAC vent also.) Your office nook flow is wrong. The way it is drawn in you walk straight into the work surface. Rotate it 90 degrees counter clockwise and where you enter is then the largest open space. With the right cabinetry and counter surface it can now be used as a staging area for food service in a pinch and if you opt for using the same cabinetry as your kitchen and the same counter as one of the kitchen surfaces this room will now appear as either a butlers pantry that is also used for computer work or a computer work station that is also a butlers pantry. If you are having custom cabinetry built for your kitchen I would shrink the cabinetry on the wall adjacent the nook just so the end of the wall lines up with the wall that is now the kitchen entry to the dinning room. Right now it protrudes slightly. You will always feel like you are being bumped around that wall where lining the two up will give you good open flow. Most families that have the kind of room you have in your laundry room won't ever use that coat closet. If you are worried about loosing the closet you have room to borrow on the end of your pantry to have a closet with acces from the hall. Be aware this would be in your sightline when entering your home. By the way this would be a great place for a niche because of that fact. Congratulations on building your new home. I think your adding the computer work area was the right thing to do not only for livability but for resale. (If I can attach an image it will be completely out of scale but you will get the idea.)
November 29, 2012 at 12:49pm   
goodtastedna
Wrong image! sorry.
November 29, 2012 at 12:50pm   
I would move the wall oven / fridge in the breakfast area to the other side of the kitchen, thus freeing up more space for the homework and desk area so it creates a more direct path into the dining room.
November 29, 2012 at 4:07pm   
Driveway with different grades
Hello, I just recently purchased this home and the...
Painting the area between the plate and crown molding?
Trying to decide if I should paint the area between...
Ceiling color
Walls will be light tannish-gray and there will be...
Fix my fireplace
Hi! I would love some help on redesigning my fireplace....
I need help deciding where to center an art piece on a wall?
My client has a wall with a towel bar and a light switch...