What type of vine is growing on your pergola?
Mona Lam
November 29, 2012 in Photo Questions
sweetbar000
I'm wondering that too. Or any ideas for what to grow hardy for zone 5?
0 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 12:11PM
Sandy Koepke
trumpet vine http://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/plants/356/royal-trumpet-vine.php#.ULrgroXy9i8 in california this vine is evergreen, with leaves all winter and blooms in spring/summer/fall. this one is lavendar. there is another trumpet vine that is equally hardy in tomato soup warm red.
1 Like   December 1, 2012 at 9:03PM
Mona Lam
The pergola is gorgeous and love how the vine grows. We just had a pergola built and love the decorative diagonal wood pieces on the pergola. Was that designed by you or where did you get those diagonal pieces in the pergola. Our pergola is 10 feet tall and thought those diagonal pieces would make it seem less tall. Thank you for the info on the vine.
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 10:46AM
Sandy Koepke
the corbels that fill the 90* corner are in proportion to this pergola...which is about 14' tall. you could do a similar corbel or bracket in corner between post and beam...but scale it to your structure. even smaller ones that just fill the 90* corner can soften the look. you could cut cardboard templates to try til you are comfortable with the size, then have them cut by a carpenter. iron corbels look great too. the most important thing is the scale. good luck!
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 11:07AM
Mona Lam
Thank you for the very helpful info! Will definitely do this and make sure it is to scale, definitely softens the look. Our yard is small and like the airiness of a tall pergola but wanted it cozy like the one here. Love everything you did to get this look. Thanks again!
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 11:12AM
Sandy Koepke
you're welcome. send me a picture! you can go to my website and send an e mail from there (under contact)
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 11:15AM
Mona Lam
Will do when I get the corbels done and get plantings done around the patio. Thanks again!
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 11:21AM
Mona Lam
Are the corbels on both sides of the main post or just in front?
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 3:37PM
Sandy Koepke
in this case, just on one side...you look out the kitchen window, through the pergola and toward the pool beyond so it sort of frames the view. each site is different. no rules. do what works best for your space. if you look on my website under portfolio...then beverly hills peck...you will see the clients sitting inside the pergola which gives you another perspective of the corbels.
2 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 3:45PM
Best method to stop polished concrete from cracking on floors ?
Hello! Im in the midst of a three bedroom project...
I am putting corten flat steel panels for siding on my new house. They
I am putting 4'x8' 14-ga corten steel panels as siding...
Need some help with bedroom paint color
Hi all, I'm trying to pick a paint color that will...
Bathroom model - am I trying to put too much in here
We are in the process of laying out our bathroom remodeling...
Dramatic Dining Debacle
We justices on Saturday. (Please disregard the mess...