DURABILITY
Katende Francis
November 30, 2012 in Design Dilemma
DOES WOOD LAST AS BRICKS WHEN IT COMES TO HOUSE CONSTRUCTION? THANK U
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
No, wood will eventually succumb to the elements. Brick is far more durable and less maintenance.
0 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 7:03AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
S. Thomas Kutch
Deborah is correct, brick for the most part is more durable and less maintenance than wood, but you have to define durable...........is durable 10 years or 100 years? Then you have to put it into a proper perspective. I have seen and worked on homes that were more than a 100 years old and still have the original wood siding on them......I've also seen brick veneers that were cracked and failing after 5 years. I've seen original beams still perfectly sound and in good condition that are well over 100 years old.

If put in the perspective of your life time (approximately in the 80's) than a properly constructed and finished wood structure could well out live you, your children and possibly your grandchildren given proper care and maintenance.

There are many factors to the failures of wood or brick and it all begins with the original installation, the design details, quality of products used and the home owners care of said materials.

If you plan on just laying a brick and a piece of wood on the ground, then I'll put my money on the brick outlasting the wood every time......but I wouldn't hesitate to use wood on the exterior of my home if that's the look you want either........done and cared for properly, it will probably still be going strong long after we are worm fodder.
2 Likes   November 30, 2012 at 7:35AM