Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennyschwab

Does anyone like the built in griddle on their gas range top?

jennyschwab
11 years ago
I can't decide to go with the 6 burner gas cooktop (36 inch) or to get it with the built in griddle/grill pan and only have 4 burners. I love to cook but I have survived on my regular range thus far. Any advice is appreciated!

Comments (33)

• decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    If you grill or do pancakes a lot you'll like it. If you already have a seasoned griddle you like, I wouldn't bother.
  • Lainey Stern
    11 years ago
    I have a thermador pro with 6 burners and griddle and love it I use the griddle a lot
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    11 years ago
    I would go for the 6 burners and use one of the griddles that lays on top and bridges across two burners. That way you have the best of both worlds.
  • PRO
    Bill Fry Construction - Wm. H. Fry Const. Co.
    11 years ago
    We have a five-burner at home and I love the griddle accessory.
    Make sure you have the right space nearby to stow it in your cabinetry - they can be heavy.
    :) Rhoda
  • olldcan
    11 years ago
    Good tip Rhoda!!!!
  • michigammemom
    11 years ago
    I agree with Deborah Butler, I have a 5 burner gas cooktop and an inexpensive nonstick T-fal rectangular griddle pan that works wonderfully for pancakes, grilled sandwiches and bacon.
  • PRO
    Angles Unlimited Construction
    11 years ago
    The way I look at it if I had six burners going at one time I should have been short order cook! I dont use my griddle every day but when I do I love it.
  • PRO
    Angles Unlimited Construction
    11 years ago
    The way I look at it if I had six burners going at one time I should have been short order cook! I dont use my griddle every day but when I do I love it.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Having done both ways, cheap griddle vs accessory, the heavy and pricey accessory performs by far better with more even heat distribution - and after 20 years of making pancakes, I don't miss the expense! :) Rhoda
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    11 years ago
    Rhoda, for those of us that don't know the difference, what is a griddle accessory? Is this made by Wolf or someone similar?
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    My apologies. Each manufacturer will have various accessories that are intended to fit their product. Here is one example:
    http://www.thermador.com/accessories/pagriddle-professional-griddle-accessory
    best,
    Rhoda
  • Jon
    11 years ago
    I have a five star with 6 burners and a griddle/grill. Grill never heats hot enough for quick service where my all clad griddle spans two burners and gets too hot.
    If an indoor grill is important and you're patient, then go for it. Otherwise invest in cast iron and crank up the heat.
  • PRO
    Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
    11 years ago
    Saladmaster best cookware ever and their two-burner grill is a must have and lasts a lifetime - Choose that and go for the 6 burners!
  • Joseph Weeks
    10 years ago
    I just removed the grates from my BBQ and purchased a Griddle Top for my entire grill. Now I can cook everything I want on my Griddle Top. Go see for yourself at http://www.GriddleMaster.com
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Go 6 burners I had the griddle, and used maybe twice.
  • aggiecruiser
    9 years ago
    How long does the griddle take to heat up though? To me, the convenience of a griddle is being able to whip out some eggs and bacon real fast. But if it takes twenty minutes to heat up...Then it probably wont get used much in my opinion.
  • v3ra
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Brand names of the proven performers with the griddle accessory, please.
  • Joseph Weeks
    9 years ago

go to www.griddlemaster.com for your best griddle tops. They make custom griddle tops for your Gas oven or Gas Grill. now you can swap between a grate or griddle top. You use less gas and food cooks more even. This is an awesome product. Go see for yourself. www.griddlemaster.com

• eskafu
    8 years ago

I'm buying a 48" range and have six burners plus grill or griddle.... Should I go with the grill or the griddle?

I Use now my outdoor BBQ at least once a week for fish, and like the idea of searing things on the grille. But all I have read so far is that the griddle is very hard to maintain and that the grill heats better and would seal faster and more evenly???

I entertain at least once a month to 20+ people,

any advice would be gladly appreciated

• ispoildogs
    8 years ago

I would go with the griddle. When you grill, the grease and juices from the meat drain into a receptacle below that requires additional maintenance to keep clean. It's easier to grill outdoors.

• annamstirpe
    8 years ago

Does anyone have the Monagram 36 in cooktop? if so, how do you like it? and can you buy to grill and griddle for it.

• Julie Kuhns
    7 years ago
    I have the dual fuel 6 burners with the griddle between. The finish on the griddle plate peals off after one year and I have to replace the whole griddle. It has happened twice. I have had the stove for about a year.
  • shannonhospel
    7 years ago

hi juliekkuhns, Do you have a Thermador or a Wolf range? I cannot believe the griddle peeled off! Thats terrible. I am considering both of those brands...I currently use a cast iron skillet daily and love it! So the griddle aspect of each of those brands is important to me. any guidance would be appreciated. i plan to get the double griddle from one of those ranges :)

• Loretta D
    7 years ago
    I use mine often!
  • Julie Kuhns
    7 years ago

Thermador. I'm not sure why it happens to me as the technician said he has never seen it happen before. On the second griddle I only used a soft rag and dish soap to clean it and it still peeled after about 6 months of use. They won't replace it for me again, so I will have to buy another one and I probably won't use it. It will be for looks.

• Diane
    7 years ago
    I had the Viking with griddle and hated it because, I had a beautiful farm sink and did not want to put that monster into my sink.
  • Zora
    3 years ago

I am shopping for a new range. 36 inches. The six burners appeal to me, but I bbq many nights per week, and like the idea of being able to grill indoors. What companies make the best 36 inch ranges with fast working grills that are easy to clean??

• strugglebrother
    2 years ago

I love my infrared griddle... But I would not get a castiron griddle that to have to take loose and clean in the sink. I have 6 burners and a high-intensity infrared griddle.

• Peter Holtan
    last year
    last modified: last year

I'm getting the griddle in the middle but stove got no back ♬♬♬ It's the gas range my wife is insistant upon and it's a battle I'm choosing to avoid. But I'm also getting the $100 center burner grate accessory just in case griddle in the middle doesn't work out. This will give us the best of both worlds and the oval center burner would work great with any griddle pan and other cookware we have. My bigger concern is splatter. Since our stove will have a flat back, I'm worried about splatter on the walls. The tile should clean pretty easily, but I'm gonna have to seal the grout to prevent grease stains.

• Vince Nappo
    last year

I hate it. Never used it, and wish I could find a standard grate to replace it.

• Kate
    last year

I just bought a lecrueset griddle pan that spans two burners and love it. Years ago when they had the grill/griddle option for ovens, I hated it. It was a pain to clean.

• N A
    last year

Seperate griddle that sits over the two burners on the left works great! It's a lot more space, higher temps. (also high and low heat spots to use when I make philly steak sandwiches) . Someone above mentioned get built in because "if I had six burners going at one time I should have been short order cook!" the burners all have a different purpose, to me the middle burner is worth it over a built in griddle. (my top right is best for low flame simmer or melt, the two on the left are the all purpose burners. middle is the high heat/or simmer (used the most) and the bottom right is the second high heat one.) . I don't use them at the same time, but I do use them all depending on need . :)