will I tire of my oriental rug?
phenie53
I currently have orientals in my kitchen, dining room, living room, and library. I am looking for a rug for the family room and keep gravitating toward orientals since they are so forgiving with stains, playdoh, etc. I've had one oriental in the entry for over 25 years, and it still looks fabulous. But is this too much of a good thing?
Manon Floreat
The "too much of a good thing" idea doesn't apply to Oriental carpets. At least, not in my opinion! Where else can you get art, timeless elegance, unsurpassed versatility, stain hiding and asset appreciation for the floor? The fine ones get better with time, so chances are the one you have in your foyer will be even more beautiful in another 25 years. Follow your aesthetic instincts.
December 1, 2012 at 1:00AM     
phenie53
Thanks, Manon. With all the solid and tone on tone carpets being shown in magazines, I began to wonder if choosing another oriental was the best decision. I do plan on having versatile neutral furnishings, but I love starting with an oriental. Thanks for your encouragement.
December 1, 2012 at 7:30AM   
Yup, I agree with Manon, you can have one in every room if you want!
December 1, 2012 at 7:58AM   
If it makes you feel better to have company, phenie53, we have oriental rugs (including tribals, kilims, antique Persians, etc,) throughout our house (i.e. there is at least one in every room except the bathrooms). We always start with the rug and then choose mostly neutral fabrics and colors for furniture and walls, letting the beautiful rug designs carry the pattern and most of the color for the room. But there are also some very pale oriental palettes that will produce some of the same tone on tone effects as those you are seeing in magazines if you are interested. We chose a very pale vegetable-dyed oriental for our TV room (creams and soft blue grays and taupes, with pale terra cotta accents) that we absolutely love. (And after buying it we discovered that it is the best color combination of any in the house for hiding dog hair.)
December 1, 2012 at 7:58AM   
Quick fix paint colors for selling house
What neutral paint colors (if any) would look good...
Tile grout color help please!
Who knows about grout color? Sheesh, having anxiety...
Taking Out Decorative Rail, Need Suggestions Please
I am about to do a kitchen remodel removing the soffit,...
Granite counter too much for my mexican tile???
Thinking of Kashmire Gold counter , presently have...
need exterior color ideas
need siding and shingles on our new house..we have...