OLLD 12/1
December 1, 2012 in Other
Good Morning OLLD Ladies!

Lot's of sniping going on yesterday, no? I think I'll stay out of it as much as possible.

Yesterday it rained for nine straight hours !!! We NEVER get rain like that so it was awesome. And wet!

What's everyone got going on this weekend?
creeser
Wow! Lots of rain olldbobbi! Hubby just left for the Saturday morning tradition of breakfast with our son. They've been doing it so long, that they have "their" waiter and he just says hello, tells the hostess to put them at his table and goes to get their food without even taking their order. *L* I'm invited, but I'd rather sit around the house with my coffee until the caffeine kicks in. Besides, it's such a guy bonding time.
After that, hubby is bound and determined to get in the Christmas spirit. He says he wants to decorate outside or I may get him to go Christmas shopping with me for the itty bitty. Nothing like playing with toys to get you in the spirit!
What are you doing this weekend my dear?
December 1, 2012 at 3:55am   
Awww! What a great tradition ! How old is your son? It is a guy bonding time, I would probably choose to stay home and caffeinate too !

Well, we're supposed to get a break in the rain today only so it has to be errand running day. The dog needs his rabies booster, groceries, Homey Depot (our weekly pilgramage) and maybe, just maybe, R can get the outside decorations up between drops ! Only three weeks til Christmas, can you believe it?
December 1, 2012 at 4:01am   
mpoulsom
mornin chickas! my boo mappin time was postponed...so i'm finishing up gingerbread house today. i'll post a pic when done. check ya later......i NEED java now!
p.s. yesterday was scary...whoa
December 1, 2012 at 4:02am   
Hi Mendi! Why was yesterday scary?
December 1, 2012 at 4:03am   
creeser
B, he is 25 and graduates from college in 2 weeks! Woo hoo! We recycled him back into college, so that's why he is a late bloomer.
This year has just flown by. Where does the time go??
MP... just finished my second cup. Can you believe the weather for today? It's going to be gorgeous!
December 1, 2012 at 4:12am     
creeser, congrats on recycling him back into college, no easy task, I know. My 'baby' had no interest and was lucky enough (thanks, Mom!) to score a great job at the ripe old age of 18. He's 26 now, still there, went from unskilled laborer to management with a company truck, and he's now salaried instead of hourly. Whew ! Of course, I get no credit for scoring him the job.......
December 1, 2012 at 4:21am   
creeser
Hubby gets the thanks for getting him back in college. Boy child quit college after one year saying he felt he was made more for manual labor and went to work with hubby. After a couple of years, hubby put him with our brother-in-law who owns a paving business. One summer of laying asphalt in 100 degree weather was enough. He called me one afternoon after he got off saying he was going back to college, that sitting in a classroom was much easier than paving a parking lot. I've been high fivin' hubby ever since. The man is a genius!
December 1, 2012 at 4:26am     
mpoulsom
bob, just saw your wet weather on the news.....yowza!
and yes, me and crees have it easy today weather-wise! :)
re; scary......the weird comments and dialogue. don't wanna go there today.

bob, i was thinking yesterday how much I miss the Grand Lake Theatre.....did you go there a lot? We always did. I lived near the Lake right off of Park Blvd. It sucks going to a regular high tech movie place now in comparison. The ornate decor and of course the organ player! Just gorgeous!

Goin for the 3rd cup o joe now!
December 1, 2012 at 5:37am   
creeser
MP, no wonder you keep so busy. You're a caffeinated whirlwind! btw... I like creesy!
December 1, 2012 at 5:42am   
creeser, kudo's to your hubby! Sometimes they surpirse us, don't they?

mp, the Grand Lake Theatre....in Oakland? I've only been there once for my son's graduation, it's too scary there now!
December 1, 2012 at 7:31am   
olldcan
Oh my darling son didn't think he needed anything past high school either. I honestly thought that he should be a Lawyer because he argued with me for a few years. What's the point he'd say, I can get on a drilling rig up north and make more that a Lawyer..... fair enough!!! I laughed for weeks when they hired him (in secrecy). They enrolled him in course after course after course. LOL. Sent him to work, ya -40 without the wind chill sounds like a good time to me :) His truck ran for two weeks straight, can't turn it off cause it won't start back up. When he came home in the spring of course his wallet was oozing with cash and all seemed good. Then a summer of little work balanced the cash flow back out. Fall came and away he went again, I think he came home for a week two times in the next four months. Rig crew changed up a bit and the guys just weren't getting along. I had and so did his grandpa warn him about the type of guy that can withstand that environment but he wouldn't listen until he lived it. Thats a tough bunch!!! Anyway he's done his post secondary now, in a completely different line of work and couldn't be happier. I of course will be happy when he builds his own home but he wont break ground until he has his lot paid in full. I guess the life lesson was worth it, sometimes they just need to figure it out themselves.
December 1, 2012 at 8:03am   
olldcan, great story ! -40 is cold ! I'll bet Mom's house sounded better and better eveyday !

Teenagers, they know everything, don't they?
December 1, 2012 at 8:09am   
creeser
olldcan, you are absolutely right. It would be so much easier if they learned from our lessons, but they have to learn it on their own.
December 1, 2012 at 8:10am   
olldcan
So true, I remember one time i told him " You don't even know enough, to know, you don't know enough" the response was a blank stare.

bobbie, your situation with your son sounds like my brother and dad. My brother finished university, got a job in that field. Worked for 3 days and quit!!!!!. My dad could have killed him on the spot. Putting 6 kids through Uni is not easy on the wallet. The next morning dad dropped him off downtown in front of the telephone companies skyscraper. Instructed him to go in, get a job and not come home till he did. As the years past, he never gave dad an ounce of credit for sticking a boot in his rear end. My brother worked for them from 22-60 years old. When he retired he asked dad if it was okay to pack it in early since his pension is huge :) so I guess the credit can come in many different forms.....eventually.
December 1, 2012 at 9:00am     
creeser
*LOL* Love that he asked your Dad if he could retire early! Guess he did realize who "inspired" him in his career! Only took about 40 years to do so, huh?
December 1, 2012 at 9:09am   
olldcan
ya, he's not so bright :) the learning curve was slow....

What drives me nutz is the sense of entitlement the young kids have today. They don't wan't to work there way up. They think their job should be at the top rung of the ladder...... Sorry sweetheart, your not knocking someone off with the same eduction, years of experience and a proven track record. Everything for them, including success in whatever area needs to be instant. With the young crowd that comes and goes through my house, I have to shake my head at some of their discussions. Sometimes.... okay , most of the time I can't keep my lip zipped.
December 1, 2012 at 9:20am   
creeser
olldcan, I totally agree with every word! There is almost an arrogance attached their entitlement attitude as well.
December 1, 2012 at 9:54am   
nasmijati
Good morning. I have been looking for photos of my place strings and table coverings since yesterday. Had a hard time finding some of them.

My everyday dishes are handmade pottery by Johanna and Will DeMay. Over a period of 20 years, I collected one or more pieces at every craft fair I attended (about two or three times a year), bought some at a gallery, and commissioned the remaining pieces I needed. The pattern has now been retired. Here is a photo of Johanna and Will.
Here is a link to a book that has a photo...
The second photo on the left side is the kind of pottery I have.
Subject: Functional Pottery: Form and Aesthetic in Pots of Purpose - Robin Hopper - Google Books (DeMay)
http://books.google.com/books?id=cH3p_FzaJOsC&pg=PA178&lpg=PA178&dq=johanna+and+will+deMay&source=bl&ots=HAv3o_viOw&sig=k3H52sedmA1g3wyIcMvOpgR8UU4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=jja6UIuhM6j8yAG434HQBw&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAQ#v=twopage&q=johanna and will deMay&f=true
.
I use a woven wool runner from Chimayó /chee my yoh'/ on the table. Chimayó is a town established in the late 17th century in my state.
I also use a Nambé /nahm bay'/ votive candleholder. Nambé is an eight metal alloy that looks like silver) invented in my state in 1951.
December 1, 2012 at 10:45am   
nasmijati
Hello, more dishes...

I inherited Spode Gainsborough. I use my paternal great-grandmother's white Irish damask tablecloth with a shamrock design. She embroidered the family monogram in a beautiful pattern onto 24x24 inch white linen napkins. I have a crystal candelabra for five candles, four in a circle around a raised fifth. Perfect for celebrating the Sundays in Advent, with the raised candle for Christmas day.
December 1, 2012 at 10:47am   
nasmijati
Yikes. Place strings should be place SETTINGS!
December 1, 2012 at 10:48am   
michigammemom
eztia, The DeMay pottery is outstanding! I love that you have collected your unique place settings over time. Also find the Nambe' pieces so appealing. My daughter has several that she received as wedding gifts. I think she has the Twist taper holders and the matching salt and pepper shaker. I have to say as young adults go, my kids definitely inherited their Dad's type A personality...not a slacker in the bunch and very goal oriented.
December 1, 2012 at 1:13pm     
Hi Ladies! What's with the share?

eztia, great pottery ! I love it and the history of you collecting it. You're a pretty smart OLLD, you know that?

And as far as teenagers working/not working, I had one who didn't care if he worked or not, one who's idea of a job was stealing from me, and one who is a bit over-ambitous! Now that's a variety!
December 1, 2012 at 1:43pm   
nasmijati
MM and Olldbobbi, thank you for the compliments about my place settings. :) It has been fun to grow old with Johanna and Will DeMay. My mother collected their work in the design before mine. I still have a few of those pieces. Evolution in pottery!

I finished decorating for the holidays outside. I'm thinking about the menu for holiday meals now.

I have seen some vehicles with pretend antlers and a red circle on the front grille. Others have a wreath on the front grille. I think it is kind of silly to decorate the car. What is y'all's opinion?
December 1, 2012 at 2:25pm   
I've seen those silly cars, too! However, I do have a jungle bell collar on the dog, it's driving him crazy.

eztia, you're not growing old. Sometimes I think you are the youngest of all of us.
December 1, 2012 at 2:27pm   
nasmijati
olldbobbi, I am probably not the youngest in chronological years (53).

I love to learn new things, and try to learn something new every day. It is easy to learn a bit about many topics when all the adults in one's environment have a Master's degree or a Ph.D. It is a rarified existence, however.
December 1, 2012 at 3:16pm     
Well, dear, you're younger and smarter than me, that's for sure on both counts !
December 1, 2012 at 3:29pm   
nasmijati
olldbobbi, we are all intelligent in different ways. You are always the top poster on Houzz and you even attach links to photos on Houzz for people with design dilemmas. There is no way that I can think that fast. I still haven't got the hang of attaching Houzz photos yet, even though I spent a whole day trying to learn.

(Note that I asked about OLLD place settings and table coverings yesterday, and it took me 24 hours to find photos of my own!)
December 1, 2012 at 4:15pm     
nasmijati
This was in the Wall Street Journal today. The newest trend in this region is BLUE pine wood. I have seen it, but did not know WHY the wood was blue. I thought it was so interesting that I sent this link to Emily Hurley, too.

In Colorado, Beetles Create Decor Trend
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324469304578145753792576048.html
December 1, 2012 at 4:21pm   
Talk about making lemonade from lemons! That's amazing! I'll bet those cabinets are interesting, although I have to admit I don't know about ceiling, paneling and cabinets in the blue. But I would like to see it, I'll bet the marbling effect is cool.

eztia, attaching a photo to a dilemma is child's play, you know that! Embed, left click, right click, copy, back to the response, right click, paste, done. You're silly! And honestly, I don't want to be the top poster on Houzz. If I had a life I wouldn't have so much time on my hands!
December 1, 2012 at 4:33pm   
mpoulsom
alrighty ladies...don't laugh! well i guess you can! Merry flippin Christmas!! :)
December 1, 2012 at 4:46pm   
Awww!!! That's pretty cool, Mendi! Great job, I love the snowman !!!
December 1, 2012 at 4:49pm     
nasmijati
MP, I like it, I like it! I wish I was a kid at your house! You did a great job!
December 1, 2012 at 4:50pm     
nasmijati
Olldroo, I have had the chorus of "six white boomers" going through my head for two whole days! The Australian Jingle Bell song was cute, too. Thanks for sharing! :)
December 1, 2012 at 4:53pm   
mpoulsom
thanks guys....we got it ready for the grandgirl!!!!! it's pretty ghetto fab, but she will love it!
December 1, 2012 at 5:00pm   
mpoulsom
It look's like it's on fire in the pics, but not in real life! hahaha!
December 1, 2012 at 5:02pm   
nasmijati
I did not Realize the photos of the pine wood made blue by beetle fungus as described in The Wall Street Journal article above were not included. Here are some photos.
December 1, 2012 at 5:12pm   
That is seriously blue! I love the floor, I think it is, lower left pic? And the cabinet's not bad either, looks a little pickled. Thanks!
December 1, 2012 at 5:14pm   
nasmijati
Olldbobbi, attaching any photo to Houzz using an iPad uses different steps. I'm working on learning how to do it. The easiest is to send it through my e-mail to my iPad photo section and then attach them from there.
December 1, 2012 at 5:17pm   
Ok! I've never used an iPad before so I'll just take your word for it! hehehe
December 1, 2012 at 5:18pm   
nasmijati
Olldbobbi, the second photo in the series is a log cut down the center, with the pieces side by side.
December 1, 2012 at 5:19pm   
That's what I thought. It looks like a mirror image.
December 1, 2012 at 5:20pm   
michigammemom
MP, The gingerbread house/shed is a child's dream! How did you light the plastic bowl gumdrops?
eztia, I wonder if the beetle fungus that causes the blue coloration affects the integrity of the lumber?
December 1, 2012 at 5:43pm     
nasmijati
Michi, yes. If the pine tree affected by the beetle fungus sits too long after being killed, it looses structural integrity. The trees are not used for load bearing walls or ceiling poles/beams.
December 1, 2012 at 5:57pm   
olldroo
Hi, all, gorgeous Sunday today, the sort I love. Much, much cooler than the last two days which was a help to start with, in fact tonight is quite cold again. The eternal painting continued this morning - honestly I'm beginning to feel like I am painting the wretched Harbour Bridge, even BH is wondering when the end will come. (The painting of our bridge never ends, it uses 30,000 litres of paint and takes about 8 to 10 years I think then they have to start over immediately to stop the metal corroding.) Just as we reached the last 3ft of wall DD rang to say they had been to the Sydney Fish Markets and would be dropping by on their way home WITH lunch. Don't you just love drop ins like that. Well they arrived and served up a delicious salad of huge prawns, avocado, mango and baby spinach followed by the biggest strawberries I have ever seen covered with chocolate. It was lovely to just stop and relax before the children dragged us into a game of cricket on the front lawn that was a lot of fun.

She resolved my light problem for me too, usually our tastes clash but she loved the round light but insisted I must have two which suits me fine.

Mendi, your gingerbread house is amazing - you are way too clever. I hope you post it for everyone to see.

Eztia - you cracked me up, I'm sure olldcan can really relate too. Reminds me of the Wiggles songs, whenever I spent a day with the grandkids when they were younger I would be singing their songs all the next week at work.

This is another nice catchy one for you

December 2, 2012 at 2:31am   
What a great Sunday you had! That lunch sounds delicious. p.s. - I opened 12/2. Our Golden Gate bridge is like yours as far as paint goes! What a frustrating job if you like a completion at the end of your work!
December 2, 2012 at 2:35am   
creeser
MP, love the gingerbread house! Sisters came back from the Holiday Market in Columbia with some wooden cutouts shaped like gifts and candy canes. I'll have to show them the gingerbread men. They are bent on making more on their own. I'll leave the power tools to them and I'll help with the painting. *L*
December 2, 2012 at 3:48am   
mpoulsom
Thanks MM, Roo and Creesy! I hung the strung the bowls with fishing line and put a strad of colored lights around the doorway and tucked and taped a little behind them. The thing that was the icing on the cake, was when I turned the lights on and some of the red lights behind the blue bowls turned them purple! I wasn't keen on the blue bowls for gumdrops, so I got my grape ones afterall. Sometimes things work out on their own.
Creesy....jeff made those cut-outs friday from the MDF board leftover from the concrete countertop forms! We do not waste anything! lol! Saturday I cut up the plastic lattice for the "rick-rack" icing trim and put that up. We found a BIG stocking for the flagpole at the dollar tree. And gingerbread ornament letters that are precious. So I just spelled Noel and put that on the door. Prob not the best word for the house, but it's okay. I wanted to spell Leon instead, but J wouldn't let me....lol
Roo....I could eat your lunch everyday and be happy as a clam. sounds delish!

Well, I'm watching my CBS sunday morning news show and sippin java right now...hope everyone has a great day! xo
December 2, 2012 at 6:16am   
olldroo
mp - salads, fruit and seafood are my favourite part of summer and no hot stove to deal with. I often add grilled Haloumi cheese as well. Perfect for Christmas meals too.
December 2, 2012 at 2:23pm   
What Size Mixed Mexican Beach Pebble to Use? 1/2-1 or 1-2??
I'm stuck on trying to decide what size mixed Mexican...
The choice is to get rocks that range from 1/2-1inch or 1-2 inches.
Rocks seem to come in a range of sizes. Based on your...
OLLD 1/21
Good morning! What is everyone up to today? Is anyone...
bought 12--1 x 4 standoffs need a different anchoring system
They came with a drywall anchor that a screw goes in....
OLLD 1/2
Morning all! judy - we were just talking about our...
wall panel proportions
I want to renovate my living room with wall panels...
White painted kitchen needs a redo, help!
I need to know what the best paint type and finish...
How to modernize?
This might be impossible! I've finished redecorating/redoing...
Help! what can I do with my family room?
So this is our flop room I like to call it. We all...