Anymore ideas for finishing up this front door update?
designmuse
Recently had house painted, added new door knockers and urns to front door area. Also, since picture, I have added kick plates in same finish as new door handle. Anymore ideas or am I done?
See before and after pics.
Wow Great Place
LOVE the red, and with kick plates, I would imagine it is even more handsome! Looks fantastic, and a HUGE improvement over the muddy green! Beautiful home!
0 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 6:51AM
olldcan
Have you replaced your house numbers, I'd put them in the same spot.The tall plant in the urns is really taking away from your beautiful pillars. Since the door is dark now, it really needs the frame of white that the pillars provide. Try the urns on either side of the garage door, just to see how they look there or remove the tall plant. The low planting, in the bed on the left should be something the has a mass of white bloom, not compact. The urns would benefit from this as well, the pink/red is not doing a thing. Your hedge is beautiful, glad to see the height is being controlled. I don't mean to be a debbie downer, your house is gorgeous. What a relief it must be, to be in this final, small,tweaking stage:)
2 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 6:57AM
designmuse
Thanks for your comments!
0 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 2:25PM
houssaon
Beautiful. Love the new scheme. There is a reason that red doors and black shutters are so popular! Well done.
1 Like   December 1, 2012 at 2:30PM
HI -- Love what you have done -- how about haveing your house number in written script on the front header ?
1 Like   December 1, 2012 at 2:45PM
nasmijati
The house is absolutely gorgeous. I would make sure folks could find the place by using big black house numbers in a horizontal orientation (easier to read).
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 5:52PM
karelina
Lovely house!
Just a thought, you might consider a hanging light under the portico. It would eliminate the shadow and bring out the vibrant red.
1 Like   December 2, 2012 at 6:08PM
designmuse
Thanks so much for all of the useful comments. I have my house number on my mailbox so I'm not sure it is necessary to duplicate on the house. Thoughts? Also, I have been thinking about removing the tall trees in the urns (they are dying anyway). Any recommendations on low plantings? I like the light idea but the portico ceiling is rather low. I don't want guest to hit their head on a lantern as they approach my front door! Perhaps a flush mounted lantern?
1 Like   December 2, 2012 at 6:16PM
olldcan
I don't see your mailbox in any of the pictures. As long as someone who needs to see it from the road can. I do like the script idea in black though, very classy.
White cosmos in the bed would be nice, they are a never ending supply of blooms. Several flowers per plant, the size of an adults palm so they would really be noticeable from the road. 12-18" tall with a stem loaded with soft fernlike foliage. A beautiful contrast with that amazing hedge behind them. The key to any striking flower bed is a mass planting. Not 1 here 2 there. 4 of these 5 of that kind if thing. In the bed on the left I would plant roughly 25 give or take a few but nothing else mixed in and only in white.
In the picture attached, just wanted to show you how a white with a dark green background can be lovely. In this planter on my greenhouse, it's just candy tuffs and petunias but the dark vine behind is what make both amazing.
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 6:57PM
yvesun
What an improvement, you've done a great job!
1 Like   December 2, 2012 at 7:03PM
karelina
You might check with your city. In my town, we're required to have the numbers visible from the street and that was true in at least one other city I've lived in.
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 7:27PM
charlottegirl
What about some new lanterns for the sides? I had a problem with my lights for my front door like yours where they were really close to the column. A local store (that is so great to work with) made me a custom backplate for the lanterns so it moved the light over to the middle between my column and shutters like yours. I think it would really dress up the house and not look so cluttered. You should call or email Karen over at Lantern & Scroll and get her recommendation www.lanternandscroll.com
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 7:47PM
Ralston Decorating Group
Hi, you are done!! The house looks beautiful and less is more, you know!!
0 Likes   December 3, 2012 at 8:05PM
Wow Great Place
"Charlotte," if you want to promote your lanterns in every post, all at $325 or $563, from what I have read of your prevous 103 posts, may I suggest that you update your Professional Profile for your store to include photos, instead of continuously posting about "Karen and the web site" as an "anonymous" homeowner? It is diluting the validity of your posts, which may backfire in your marketing efforts.
4 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 5:44AM
Crisp Architects
Great improvements to the facade!
0 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 6:42AM
alwaysdesigning
For some fantastic color in shade I love begonias. They are very hardy here in north Texas (they sailed through our drought and water restrictions this summer) and still look fresh and still growing now in the beginning of December. They are pink/cherry red and green leaves. As a border they have been outstanding. Paired with my cherry red knockout roses they are a pretty picture. Your house looks great. Good luck.
0 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 7:10AM
mmilos
Looks good, but I kind of liked the before better because it was softer and different.
0 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 7:15AM
House is looking great, but I don't think you're finished yet! Now on to the landscaping with removal of the clumpy hedges. May I suggest this facade and planting plan for a few more tweaks?

0 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 7:29AM
Stanton Designs-online design services
How about large door handles or a door knocker?
0 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 7:49AM
Ramona
The planters have to go. I would try one on the left in the bed with trailing vines/flowers. You have a lot of symmetry which is effectively broken up by the different in the planting beds. Emphasizing the asymmetry by placing one planted to the left in the bed will give the overall appearance some energy.

Take the trees out, especially if they are dying. You might want to plant them in the ground somewhere to see if they would revived as the are probably too big now for the planters. Give them some time and then move them again if they revive.

Put the other planter somewhere else entirely. I agree that they are completely taking away from your lovely columns.

Do not cut the hedges as someone posted, but keep them in control. No taller.
0 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 8:36AM
designmuse
Hmmmmm..... You've all given many options for me to digest and consider. Thanks! I'll post any updates in the Spring! Houzz is so great!
0 Likes   December 4, 2012 at 4:11PM
update Stucco, Trim, Front Door and New Garage Door
How can I update the look of this house?
linnhodges
Update Stucco, Trim, Front Door and New Garage Door
We have lived in this home for 26 years. I would like...
linnhodges
We have lived in this home for 25 years. I would like...
linnhodges
ideas to liven up the front of my house
Hi, I'm not sure what to do to the front of our house...
poco1000
Looking for ideas to dress up the front of this house
By the snow in the picture you'd never know this is...
agarcia3201
How can I improve this kitchen nook?
Ok design enthusiasts, what would you do with this...
kimberlysc
Dilemmas without end.
Not exactly a design question, but is there a competition...
flopsycat1
Deciding on Cabinets
We're redoing our kitchen and I'm trying to decide...
valligirl20
Should I add a kitchen pantry?
This is our new home being built. My husband thinks...
laurie7654
Need Help Picking out a color to paint my furniture
I purchased this from a local thrift store. I feel...
faithhope_love