Need help for great room.
debmerlock
I'm tearing down the wall between the family room and the kitchen to create one space. The kitchen is being remodeled but leaving the family room the same for lack of funds. I can't match the color laminate wood flooring in the family room for the kitchen floor. What are some ideas in choosing wood laminate for the kitchen floor.
Depending on the style and layout of your home, it is possible to use ceramic tiles for the kitchen instead of trying to match the flooring.

0 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 12:21PM
houssaon
Consider Marmoleum for the kitchen. The color choices are endless and you can create patterns including a boarder pattern to frame the kitchen floor separating it from the great room. These are a few of the 245 photos of marmoluem on Houzz: Retro Kitchen Design, Magnolia Kitchen, Creative Kitchen Renovation, and Capital Hill Kitchen.
0 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 12:29PM
Eurocerob
I agree , using porcelain tiles as a replacement and durability may have great advantages .

Here are some samples of hardwood looking porcelains
0 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 12:35PM
debmerlock
Do you think it would look ok if I used a different color tone of wood laminate but ran the wood in an opposite direction as opposed to running two different tones in the same direction. I would like to stay with the wood laminate in the kitchen.
0 Likes   December 1, 2012 at 12:43PM
debmerlock
Here are a couple of photos that might help visualize the room better. I really would like the wood laminate through but having something look less than perfect will bring down the whole kitchen redo. I have looked at ceramic tiles but expect that it will cost more to install than wood laminate. The photos are of the laminate floor i have against the sample ceramic tile. The tile is actually a little more brown than shown. The cabinets I'm getting are maple cocoa glazed. Each room (the family room and the kitchen( are 11 x 17. I am tearing down the wall between the rooms and adding a black island with stools. The counter top will be Uba Tuba. I'm really torn on what to do with the floor. The counter and wall are coming down. The tape on the floor is where I'm placing the 60 inch black kitchen island.
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 8:43AM
debmerlock
The first photo above is a visualized design of the new cabinets with current floor in family room.
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 8:45AM
Eurocerob
You are right , tiles are more expensive than laminate floor . It ( laminate flooring ) also depends how it is installed , floating vs. bonding method.
The tiles require , in most cases , more preparation of the floor , which will give you the WOW look .

You will probably have to decide which material is more appealing to you , lots of nice laminate out there . But for durability and easy maintenance , some really nice wood looking tiles out there . Another example here , different formats are also available ....

Sorry for my biased opinion
0 Likes   December 2, 2012 at 9:04AM
Need help making my great room great - please help!
I have a kitchen / living combo room. It's West facing...
Need Help with Great Room & Morning Room Furniture Layout & Colors
We are moving into a new house and have a great room...
Need help with my Great room, dining room combo
My great room is orange and navy. With my dining area...
Lava rock fireplace makeover
What should I do? Our new to us home that was built...
Help! Hardwood or Engineered Hardwood??
I am replacing vinyl in the kitchen of my rental in...
Regrets when building a new house?
We are about to build a 2300 square foot 2 floor plus...
Need advice for door color
I am wanting to add some color to the front of my house....
What to do in foyer?
This is the foyer in our front entrance. We typically...