Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sophiemartine

Best vacuum cleaner for wood and marble. Big house. Marble downstairs and wood upstairs loft and bedrooms?

sophiemartine
11 years ago
Is cordless a good idea? 6000 square feet house. Wood stairs

Comments (18)

• sophiemartine
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Which vacuum should I get? For Marble and wood .
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    11 years ago
    I like the Oreck vacuums. They are lightweight and do a good job. Easy to use. I gave up one for a Kirby and I hate the Kirby - way too heavy.
  • luckey85
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    If it is possible you should install a central whole house vacuum. Our previous home, which we custom built, had one installed during construction. This was a large home and had multiple outlets and you just carried your hose and plugged into the next part of the house you were vacuuming. Our present home did not have one but after a year I was so frustrated with our traditional vacuum....what a pain dragging around that canister and it broke after only a year!
    We retrofitted a system called "hide a hose" where the hose retracts into the wall and into tubes hung under the house in the crawl space. The motor and collection unit are in the garage and being a smaller home, one hose reaches all parts of the house, just pull the hose out of the wall and attach it to the handle and off you go! Our present unit is driven only with the air ( not power assisted) and I find it more than adequate for hard surfaces and area rugs and even wall to wall.
    Besides ease of use these built in units are relatively quiet since the motor lives elsewhere....usually in the garage...the dirt and dust are also carried away to collect in a bin in the garage that just has to be emptied once or twice a month.
    As you can probably tell I love my central vac...it almost makes that part of housekeeping fun.
    Alternately, a high quality canister vacuum is more appropriate for hard surfaces and easier to use than an upright.
  • sophiemartine
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks but it is too late to install central vacuum cleaner. The house is 6 years old. The reason I am lost is that for the last 15 years I had central vacuum cleaner and have no idea what to buy.
  • luckey85
    11 years ago
    The home we have now is 15 years old but we were able to retrofit due to having a crawl space....if you are on slab it may not be possible, but I would check with your local central vac installer to make sure...I feel your pain!
  • simplify52
    11 years ago
    If you are not able to get the central vac, get a vacuum for upstairs and a second one for downstairs. Eliminate the lugging up the stairs! We have a Dyson Animal and love it. No longer have stairs and love that too!!!
  • sophiemartine
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks Cathy. Great recommendation , i will certainly do this. Does your vacuum is good for marble and wood? We have no carpet in the house. Is it noisy?
  • onthefence
    11 years ago
    You might want to look at the Dyson stick vacuum. We have a Dyson animal as well and love it. Much of our floors are tile or wood and it works fine on those. It seems it would be a bit overkill though for only hard surface floors.
  • simplify52
    11 years ago
    No the Dyson isn't loud and we use it for hardwood floors, tile and area rugs. :)
  • Margaret Phillips
    11 years ago
    I feel for you. I went through a similar dilemma 2 years ago. I bought probably five vacuums. The suction was just awful on so many. I have only wood and tile in my house. I ended up buying a Elextrolux. It is a canister with a hose. Made for bare floors. The suction is great. It is a bagged vac, so you need to change the bag every so often. It is Electrolux Ultra Silencer. I didn't care so much about quiet or not I just wanted to run and vacuum. Look up the Electrolux site. I've been very happy with it, comes with a few attachments.
  • sophiemartine
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks. I will definitely look at it. Great tip. I just want to find the best one right away...and hopefully not having to buy 5 before finding the right one . Thank you so much.
  • Margaret Phillips
    11 years ago
    Well I tried Target and Best Buy, well they do have a lot of vacuums! A lot of vacuums say they do bare floors but have a retractable rolling brush which only served to get clogged up and reduce the suction. Like you I have no use for carpet cleaning ability. This Electrlux vacuum was originally marketed as a hard surfaces vacuum only. I caught it right about the change over. My vacuum came with a great big sturdy floor attachment. The extra carpet cleaning head was thrown in (I never took that brush out of its Baggie) . The search convinced me you just get what you pay for. My old Oreck says it does bare floors but I was never comfortable using it on wood floors the brush was still spinning on the floor in floor mode.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    10 years ago
    You can install central vacs anytime unless you have plaster and lathe walls which i am pretty sure you don't have.
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    I have had issues with Dyson when switching between carpet and wood/stone. Check out a Sebo. I have been ver very happy with it.
  • Nalini Potineni
    7 years ago

when cleaning marble do you have bristle brush down or up. Look forward to your input. Thanks

• latifolia
    7 years ago

I am very happy with my Miele. I already had the power brush from the one I had in Europe, so bought a small one with just the hard floor brush, crevice tool, soft brush and upholstery tool. Suction is great and the genuine bags are very high quality.

• Janaina Viggiano
    7 years ago

I like bagless. Make sure it has a HEPA filter. I have a Roomba as well as a vaccuum. In my case, I have hardwood and porcelain tile.

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
Award-Winning Interior Designer in Loudoun County | 12x Best of Houzz