If I add another bedroom and bathroom in my house how will it effect the value?
lorendeveau
December 2, 2012 in Before & After
I have a 3 bedroom / 2 bathroom home. I am considering adding another full bath and family room in the basement. Is there a formula to figure out how much that will add to the value of my home?
An extra bedroom and bathroom should always add value to a house, but you should check with a local real estate agent for a better sense of pricing, size, and values in your neighborhood, how much finished basement additions like this (as opposed to 1st or 2nd floor additions) factor into resale, etc. I suspect there isn't a truly universal formula for this as so much depends on context, though perhaps someone on Houzz can give you some general guidelines for valuation.
December 2, 2012 at 9:44AM     
TJP Designs and Construction LLC
As mentioned by 'feeny' there is no true way to calculate the investment to value ratio. Just too many variables; a walk-out or daylight basement would have more value investment than a full basement. Regional and economic factors also affect investment to value ratios too. The internet would be another good source of information before you start the project!
December 2, 2012 at 10:07AM     
stacy1061
At least in my area, appraisers do not value below grade square footage as much (per sq foot) as above grade additions. If you are adding a bedroom in your basement be sure it is a "legal" bedroom with a closet and a window large enough for ingress/egress. Having that fourth bedroom will greatly expand your "pool" of potential buyers when you do go to sell as well as your home's value. Any realtor could easily look up the comparables for your home (age, size etc) and neighborhood and provide you with the information you need to determine if such an addition would be worthwhile. You may want to first invest your dollars in any deferred maintenence that will most definately affect the value or saleability of your home, such as a new roof, heater, water heater and paint-tho nowhere near as fun! It all depends on how outdated the rest of your home is.
December 2, 2012 at 10:38AM     
If your home is on septic, make sure you have a 4 bedroom one.

Speaking as a pretend buyer looking for a four bedroom: what kind of a basement you have would make a difference to me. If windows were above ground and there were a full walkout, then yes, I MAY consider it. But if the area is truly a cellar, I wouldn't want a bedroom there. Young children need to be on the same floor as Mom and Dad, and teenagers definitely need to be on the same floor as Mom and Dad. :>). Mother-in-law, well, maybe down stairs :>)

I'd be fine with an extra game room, though, that could work for all ages.
December 2, 2012 at 10:55AM   
Linda
In our area, bedrooms below grade can't be counted in a MLS listing. Although you can describe them as a room, you can't put them in the bedroom count even if they have smoke detectors, closets and exit windows.
December 2, 2012 at 4:17PM   
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Very humorous mother-n-law joke! Agree with game room idea but don't know if that is your intention although you mentioned family room.
December 3, 2012 at 12:39PM     
Color choice for shutters
We going to put shutters on the front windows and I...
Which layout works better...
This is my basement family room. It will mostly be...
Very blue tiled retro blue bathroom
Need ideas for wall color & decor!! Any help would...
Needs Sprucing Up
I would like to spruce up this area with maybe some...
Narrow Area in a Basement Bar
We just completed a basement bar renovation with granite...