Need help for my dining room
qnbee53December 3, 2012
Hi.. I am excited about my new dining set but need some help with window treatments and area rug style/color choice
Thank you!!
victorianbungalowranch
It would help to see more of the room. I think some contrasting color could be nice.
    Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 11:00AM
qnbee53
I realized after I posted this I needed more pics .. sorry!
    Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 11:09AM
qnbee53
I already painted a neutral warm faux finish and ceiling beams darker brown
    Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 12:35PM
Take a color cue from the art on the wall, then go as dramatic as you wish - I think the table can carry it. Only issue I see is that with a table this size, plus another 4 feet in width and length, you won't be able to put a rug under it. Measure the table top and add 4' to see if you'll hit the wall with the rug.
7112 Greenshores
DC Portfolio
1 Like    Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 12:44PM
victorianbungalowranch
I don't think you need a rug and it will be a lot easier to clean without one. But some more art would be good, especially something with some color and a boldness too it to keep it from getting too heavy. Or maybe a bigger mirror, and some more lighting. Pictures that I can see look like they aren't lined up.

Not sure about the plant in the corner--maybe some sculptural bar branches instead?

Love the DC Portfolio drapes hooked on the knobs. Will take a lot of material but makes a statement. Probably can do it yourself too if you are somewhat handy.
    Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 12:59PM
qnbee53
Thank you both. The drapes are gorgeous!! I wasn't sure about keeping that art there as its pretty contemporary. Seems like a rug will not be possible with size restraints, thanks for all the advice
    Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 1:16PM
victorianbungalowranch
I think it is OK to mix it up. Too much Tuscan/Olde World can get really heavy, and they actually do do that in Italy where I've been.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 4:40PM
qnbee53
Yes I can def see this look can get heavy so glad you think it's ok to mix it up, guess I'm accustomed to sticking to 1 style , thanks :) I'm unfamiliar with the sculptural branches so I will google info
    Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 6:29PM
My inclination is to get a rug and leave the window bare.

1 Like    Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 6:50PM
victorianbungalowranch
Oh, I was just suggesting branches in a tall vase or something simple. Some florists carry this, or you could just go outside and find something suitable. I just bought a real birch tree set in a little pail of gravel and plaster at a craft fair--for $10 it looks pretty cool in my diining room and I can put little lightweight decorations on it if I want.

I definately think things are more interesting if you mix it up, and when I was in Italy, I saw a lot of modern mixed with very old stuff. Of course it is easier if you have a villa with a great ceiling or something, but it seems to come naturally there, where they live with this mix all the time. I could even see a bold black and white abstract piece in your dining room--something to make it a little less serious.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 11:49PM
qnbee53
Thanks for all the great input. Now that you mentioned how heavy it can get I'm a little regretful painting the ceiling beams brown..just hope it isnt going to be too much. I have done some browsing on here and think should have gone lighter, maybe antiqued turquoise or creamier goldish..
    Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 10:10AM
victorianbungalowranch
Your ceilings are really high and you got a lot of light there--probably more than it looks like in the pictures, so it would probably be fine.:)
1 Like    Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 8:34PM
qnbee53
OK thanks, I'm leaning towards getting the area rug as I have so much tile..any opinions on which one?
    Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 1:25PM
victorianbungalowranch
How about something more simple and updated, like a light lattice pattern or a sisal, maybe with a contrasting binding? Lots of options available nowadays in that. Or maybe somethng with a simple border and an all over pattern in the middle. It is going to be a really big rug to look right, so the simplier type probably will be a lot cheaper too.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 1:42PM
collettec
Of the two rugs you've shown, I prefer the first one. You have lots of browns and warm and darker colors, I think it would help to pull in some of the lighter grayer/tauper color from the chairs. Would make it appear less heavy as well.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 2:05PM
qnbee53
Thanks all..think will hold off on the rug for the moment. Anyone have an opinion on these curtains and which color? Thanks! I saw them on Overstock, super reasonable!
    Bookmark   December 7, 2012 at 8:00AM
qnbee53
Couple of other inexpensive options..
    Bookmark   December 7, 2012 at 8:18AM
Need help with my dining room
I'm looking for wallpaper or some kind of wall treatment...
kellynoreen
need help with my dining room hutch placement in my foyer possibly
I am looking at buying a brownstone where the open...
julie66666
need help in my dining room/living room
I have blond wood floor in the hall that leads from...
myrooster
need help for my dining room
i have an "7" shape hall of 18.3long and 9.5 breth,...
nakshj
Need help with my dining room wall.
I recently purchased pottery fish plates to hang on...
delraybeach8
Backsplash for this kitchen
Suggestions on backsplash for this kitchen. We bought...
Violeta Archilla
storage & function ideas for front entrance
I'm considering a front entrance reno, the room is...
cozy4unme
Which way for tile in small bath?
I have 12x24 tile with accent trim. How would it look...
janny3
How to update living room?
Paint wood paneling? Paint fireplace? Love ceiling...
switzer29
Remodel or Sell to developer?
Would like to add 3rd bed and bathroom over excisting...
Kathy Torrence