Need help for my dining room
qnbee53December 3, 2012
Hi.. I am excited about my new dining set but need some help with window treatments and area rug style/color choice
Thank you!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
victorianbungalowranch
It would help to see more of the room. I think some contrasting color could be nice.
    Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 11:00AM
qnbee53
I realized after I posted this I needed more pics .. sorry!
    Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 11:09AM
qnbee53
I already painted a neutral warm faux finish and ceiling beams darker brown
    Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 12:35PM
decoenthusiaste
Take a color cue from the art on the wall, then go as dramatic as you wish - I think the table can carry it. Only issue I see is that with a table this size, plus another 4 feet in width and length, you won't be able to put a rug under it. Measure the table top and add 4' to see if you'll hit the wall with the rug.
7112 Greenshores
DC Portfolio
1 Like    Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 12:44PM
victorianbungalowranch
I don't think you need a rug and it will be a lot easier to clean without one. But some more art would be good, especially something with some color and a boldness too it to keep it from getting too heavy. Or maybe a bigger mirror, and some more lighting. Pictures that I can see look like they aren't lined up.

Not sure about the plant in the corner--maybe some sculptural bar branches instead?

Love the DC Portfolio drapes hooked on the knobs. Will take a lot of material but makes a statement. Probably can do it yourself too if you are somewhat handy.
    Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 12:59PM
qnbee53
Thank you both. The drapes are gorgeous!! I wasn't sure about keeping that art there as its pretty contemporary. Seems like a rug will not be possible with size restraints, thanks for all the advice
    Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 1:16PM
victorianbungalowranch
I think it is OK to mix it up. Too much Tuscan/Olde World can get really heavy, and they actually do do that in Italy where I've been.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 4:40PM
qnbee53
Yes I can def see this look can get heavy so glad you think it's ok to mix it up, guess I'm accustomed to sticking to 1 style , thanks :) I'm unfamiliar with the sculptural branches so I will google info
    Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 6:29PM
judianna20
My inclination is to get a rug and leave the window bare.

1 Like    Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 6:50PM
victorianbungalowranch
Oh, I was just suggesting branches in a tall vase or something simple. Some florists carry this, or you could just go outside and find something suitable. I just bought a real birch tree set in a little pail of gravel and plaster at a craft fair--for $10 it looks pretty cool in my diining room and I can put little lightweight decorations on it if I want.

I definately think things are more interesting if you mix it up, and when I was in Italy, I saw a lot of modern mixed with very old stuff. Of course it is easier if you have a villa with a great ceiling or something, but it seems to come naturally there, where they live with this mix all the time. I could even see a bold black and white abstract piece in your dining room--something to make it a little less serious.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 11:49PM
qnbee53
Thanks for all the great input. Now that you mentioned how heavy it can get I'm a little regretful painting the ceiling beams brown..just hope it isnt going to be too much. I have done some browsing on here and think should have gone lighter, maybe antiqued turquoise or creamier goldish..
    Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 10:10AM
victorianbungalowranch
Your ceilings are really high and you got a lot of light there--probably more than it looks like in the pictures, so it would probably be fine.:)
1 Like    Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 8:34PM
qnbee53
OK thanks, I'm leaning towards getting the area rug as I have so much tile..any opinions on which one?
    Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 1:25PM
victorianbungalowranch
How about something more simple and updated, like a light lattice pattern or a sisal, maybe with a contrasting binding? Lots of options available nowadays in that. Or maybe somethng with a simple border and an all over pattern in the middle. It is going to be a really big rug to look right, so the simplier type probably will be a lot cheaper too.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 1:42PM
collettec
Of the two rugs you've shown, I prefer the first one. You have lots of browns and warm and darker colors, I think it would help to pull in some of the lighter grayer/tauper color from the chairs. Would make it appear less heavy as well.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 2:05PM
qnbee53
Thanks all..think will hold off on the rug for the moment. Anyone have an opinion on these curtains and which color? Thanks! I saw them on Overstock, super reasonable!
    Bookmark   December 7, 2012 at 8:00AM
qnbee53
Couple of other inexpensive options..
    Bookmark   December 7, 2012 at 8:18AM