What do I do with this giant window?!
five13
This is a BEFORE pic of the house I just bought! YIKES! I hate the window treatments - so what do I do instead? The ceiling in 18' high! I can't even find curtains that long! Obv we're painting - a neutral Ben Moore 1038 everlasting all over, but a darker blue/grey Ben Moore James River gray and a large, modern dark wood media unit on the wall that currently has the big weird black things on it.
five13
I forgot to make it clear that all of the furniture is GONE. this is a pic from the real estate listing!
December 3, 2012 at 6:31pm   
jennamary
I would leave the transom window open. Just use a regular curtain rod between it and the slider. Then you can just buy standard curtains :)
December 3, 2012 at 6:46pm   
five13
Oh, really? Do you think it will shorten the room? I can't tell! It's is the first place I've decorated that had any height at all.
December 3, 2012 at 7:49pm   
Most rooms you'll find on Houzz under the heading "transom slider" will be contemporary and won't have a treatment at all.
December 3, 2012 at 7:58pm     
janishill
You might want drapes to help absorb sound in this room. If so hang long stationary panels so they barely cover the outside edge of the window leaving the view uninterrupted.
December 3, 2012 at 8:09pm     
five13
Thanks, guys. If I do get something very unobtrusive for the sides of the window, where on earth do I find panels long enough?
December 3, 2012 at 8:48pm   
EB Interiors
they would have to be custom made
December 3, 2012 at 8:51pm     
flgrandma
Perhaps send photos of after you've removed the drapes and painted the room.
December 3, 2012 at 8:58pm   
hmmm. Have you tried just taking the swags off and leave the demi-panels? Probably a bad idea. Can you sew? You can buy standard drapes, then a coordinating color curtain and sew a color band on the bottom to give them the length you need.
December 3, 2012 at 8:59pm     
Monique Jacqueline Design
Hello!
Darzy, not a a bad idea, if the tie backs are removed! It seems as though they are actually a neutral color and a solid pattern. The cost of custom draperies, might make this an option to look at as well! :)
I really think that the valance part is what is throwing most from thinking about this option. If you keep the panels, then you can invest in a chunky rod system that has some weight to it, to hang these panels from. I would do nothing less than a 1 1/4" to a 1 1/2" diameter rod. There are some beautiful systems, I would be more than happy to introduce you to a couple of fantastic lines.
Please let me know if you need further assistance!
Cheers!
m.
December 3, 2012 at 9:10pm   
Staged for Perfection
I agree with just hanging straight panels that open to the sides of the doors. How tall is it? Sometimes you can find readymade window panels up to 118"
December 3, 2012 at 9:12pm   
Talianko Design Group, LLC
Always accentuate the wall ht by using vertical shapes. An example is drapery panels on simple rods. These create a vertical line when opened. The top treatment there tends to shorten the room and cut it in half visually. By using vertical lines, you cause the eye to travel upward.
December 3, 2012 at 9:39pm   
mollyds1
guess it's just me, but i MIGHT, might cover the top part of that sliding door. i know i know, big window, big impact, but the view up there is the underneath of a porch, not sky, not trees, and there is already a pretty wide awkward piece pink something?? separating the 2 pieces of glass. i would do it with cardboard and step back and view the impact once the pink wall is not pink and the entertainment unit in place. then some modern patterned paneled drapes all the way to corners and barely covering the glass.
May 3, 2014 at 4:31am   
flgrandma
Unless you have a very fancy style, I'd get rid of the swags. However, those new drapes are going to be very pricey, so I'd hang on to the old ones and see how they look after you paint.
May 3, 2014 at 5:09am   
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
OMG remove those swags! Hang simple linen-look off white draperies as HIGH to the ceiling as possible - make the panels look full enough even if they never close. This will look great against grey walls. It's going to be gorgeous! Good luck from Montreal!
May 3, 2014 at 8:13am   
Do I need a giant media piece in this space?
Hello - we just bought a new home and the pic attached...
Have too many giant walls-where do I put the art?
My LR is open to the second story loft. The thing...
Giant Living room with kitchen! What to do first?
I'm purchasing a home built in 1967 with a cool but...
What to do with giant, ugly desk my husband loves
My husband bought us a Rustic Mexican-made desk a number...
What to do with a giant stair wall at the beach
We have an "older" house (1986) near the beach in MD...
Ralph Lauren Paints in Philadelphia area
I am trying to find a paint by Ralph Lauren, a glaze,...
Looking for Exterior Color help
Need to change up the exterior color scheme before...
A trend that should end
Are there any interior design trends at the moment...
Curtains
When are short curtains ok? I was thinking of small...
A see-through bath: too bold or just right?
I've seen this on other websites, but it's the first...