Need help with front facade makeover
kalanjerome
December 3, 2012 in Design Dilemma
We are considering bringing out the front door about 6 feet and enclosing it as the front foyer is very tight with the stairs directly in front. Not too sure how it would look or whether we should have a porch but not enclose? Also we need ideas as to what to do with the brick just above the garage because it is very bare.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
flgrandma
Not sure about your front door/foyer, but I'd put a very large lamp above the garage door.
December 3, 2012 at 8:53pm   
houssaon
I suppose you are thinking of something like this: Traditional Restoration. Although, it would be more likely a flat roof design with a copper or metal roof like these would be handsome: The Santerini- Plan# 868 and Private Residence on the Delaware River.

For the garage, add an overhang. Not these styles, but you get the idea: Dog Trot and Garage and Entry. If you decide to do a garage overhand, I would replace the roof shingles which look worn out with architectural ones in a slate grey.

Another option is an arbor: Exterior. Or a decoratice lattice like the one at the top of this house built to go in the space above the garage would really look good: [Stone Style - Oxford Road.
December 3, 2012 at 9:10pm   
kalanjerome
Thanks for the suggestions! I was thinking of a design like the Private Residence on the Delaware River (up above) and also opening up that upper window above into french doors. How would it look if I have a porch outside the left window, but not enclosed? I would extend the roof from the front door through to the left of the house.
December 3, 2012 at 9:34pm