Make Space Seem Smaller
bmodleskiDecember 4, 2012
Need some suggstions on making the living area space seem smaller - more inviting/intimate. Also looking for suggestions on making the long catwalk seem shorter/safer. Adding a floor over the family room isn't an option with this builder.
mmilos
Add crown moulding around the room at the height of the catwalk floor. Paint the upper walls above the crown a darker color to close in the space a bit.
    Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 11:05AM
Tali Hardonag Architect
Painting just the ceiling a darker color brings it down. Hang a long piece of 3D textured art (mask, sculpture, rug) that extends from above railing height to below the archway height/eye height. Hopefully its not a heat register splat in the middle. That wall is more a focal wall then the fireplace, where the builder has already recessed a small arch over the mantel.
    Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 11:35AM
Tali Hardonag Architect
    Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 11:35AM
The recessed in the ceiling makes this even more difficult. What is your style going to be? I'm thinking you could install some beautiful wood inside the coffered recess, with some bold molding around the outside. Then paint the the remainder of the ceiling a complimentary dark color or hang wallpaper as per the attached photo. Bring it down about 2-3' onto the wall and repeat the molding. The molding could continue as high chair rail on the first floor aligning it withe the visual break of the sash on the windows. Could also be installed around the FP recess if available in a curved application. Use it to break up the visual expanse and fool the eye into believing the room is not as high. If the installation of the windows allows hanging drapes at the visual break level of the floor on the opposite side, do so. Again the balance and leveling line around the room will cut the height factor.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 11:53AM
bmodleski
we are going for a tuscan theme. The floor of the home will be a rustic looking hickory and cabinets in the adjoining kitchen will be medium to dark brown. wood floor throughout home, dark leather sofa and loveseat and bronze legs on coffee table and end table. tv on wall next to fireplace and photo over fireplace of some flowers in shades of red/orange/yellow. I'm confused as to what you mean by wood on the ceiling with molding. what about any ideas on making the bridge feel more comfortable?
    Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 12:03PM
Aja Mazin
Hang floor to ceiling curtains/drapes.
    Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 12:06PM
Aja Mazin
" making the bridge feel more comfortable?"

I understand completely.

In time, you will become comfortable with it.

[Niacinamide and B-6 helped me]
    Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 12:15PM
laursiedoone
Hi, I think the rustic/tuscan theme is an excellent choice for this room, you can choose a lovely warm shade for the walls, I would consider having a washed effect and take the same shade up over the ceiling and avoid picking out detail like the recess above the fireplace as these areas could look a little fussy and small in scale compared to the rest of the room. I would celebrate the size of this room and embrace the wonderful ceiling height with the addition of a huge artwork on the largest wall. Lovely oversised lamps would be in proportion and keep the room grounded.
Personally I agree with you about the catwalk. Would it be possible to get your builder to remove the ballistrade and replace it with a stud wall (not sure if this is an English term or if it's used in USA also) window appertures could be placed along this wall the same size and height as the upper windows opposite. If you have children these could be glazed in for further security and noise control from the downstairs room. This would make the upstairs walkway much cosier and more homely while still making a feature of the double height room.
    Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 12:55PM
This pic may explain what I meant about the wood on the ceiling.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 3:19PM
How nice do we make the bathroom to add value before selling?
Small only bathroom. Complete overhaul, or just new...
anipema
1986 Mobile Home 14x70 - No Space
My husband and I are currently renting a trailer from...
Courtney-Jo Arrants
Studio in Manhattan - Need help picking some furniture & Paint color on budget!
I am on a budget (grad school), and am about to move...
Missy Gottlieb
Layout of kitchen
Will take out old built in. Move sink below window....
222612
I have a very large Foyer and Im not quite sure how to decorate it.
I have this very large foyer and Im not sure how to...
Danielle Johnson
Help w kitchen, paint or not
My husband don't want to paint or change the wall (...
juaglad
Which blind colour? Please help
Hi design world, please help us make a decision on...
haylz24
what to add on wall? HELP
need any ideas as to what to add to wall behind single...
brittcharbonneau