Living Room Layout
lefevrej
My future husband and I have just bought our new home and are in the middle of fixing it up, prior to moving onto the decoration phase. In regards to the living room we were thinking of the following layout.
We have 2 oriental rugs, and a vintage dark wood table. We are going to get Louis IV dining chairs upholstered in a sandy beige colour and are thinking of a sand coloured sofa. For the curtains we're doing floor to ceiling. What are your views? Any opinions are much apreciated.
Looks good, except for one thing - if that's a fireplace between the windows, it seems like it's being ignored. It is in an awkward place, tho.
    Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 2:25AM
lefevrej
I know... its not centred in the room, when you walk in it's a little to the right. Making it the focal point in the living room wouldnt leave space for the dining room :/ We were thinking of placing a thick gold frame mirror on the top of the FP to make it a bit more of a feature. What do you think?
    Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 2:37AM
A mirror should reflect something of beauty, not just be a mirror on a wall. It looks like in this case it's reflecting the door? Maybe art would be better.

Here's a radical idea which of course no one will agree with, but.....If you put the tv in an armoire, in the corner where the lamp is, could you put two sofas on the diagonal so you could view the tv and the fp? It's certainly different but I think it would work and also break up the boxiness of the room. I think you'd still have enough room to open the door. Is that the front entry door?
1 Like    Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 2:48AM
lefevrej
Thanks for the replies olldbobbi, you're completely right about the mirror, it would reflect the door and wall. We'll look into some art.
The door leads into the hall way. We will then attempt your suggestion and see how it looks. Thanks!
    Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 3:00AM
No problem. Question - if the door leads into the hallway, do you need it? If you don't, I'd be tempted to remove it all together. That would eliminate the need to find a way to position your furniture around it.
    Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 3:01AM
lefevrej
Sorry i wasnt clear - the door leads to the hall way, which is the only way into the living/dining room (the only other access is from outside). So unfortunately the door is vital.
    Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 3:19AM
Oh, sorry, I didn't mean close up the opening, I just meant remove the door itself. The doorway is vital, right? But if you don't need to close the door, just remove it.
    Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 3:24AM
lefevrej
Aaaahhhh, now i get it. Interesting suggestion, we will think about it. Thanks once again olldbobbi.
    Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 3:27AM
Ann Allen
Could you put the dining set on the other side so your living room furniture and fireplace would be grouped together as you walk in to the right?
    Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 4:05AM
lefevrej
Thanks Ann Allen. We were thinking of putting the living on the left and dining on the right because of the windows: the one on the left opens out onto the patio whilst the the one on the right is a small window. We thought that it would be more pleasant to look out onto the patio. But when we get the furniture we'll try your suggestion :) Thanks!!
    Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 4:42AM
jillef
Hi, just an extra thought. I so often see this layout in Ireland and had a similar layout myself once. So often the dining area becomes a less used dead space. So perhaps make that wall behind the dining table a feature that will balance the draw of the eye that you get from the full windows at the other end of the room. I would suggest a very large painting or print that covers the length of the wall, which will add colour and bring attention to your beautiful dining set. Also I would suggest putting your mirror resting ( more relaxed) on your sideboard to reflect the light from the opposite window.
    Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 5:32AM
lefevrej
I see what you mean jillef. And those are really good suggestions, thanks!
    Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 5:44AM
This is more of a personal preference, but I try not to have a big sofa backing in an open concept room such as what you have. Perhaps rotate the entire seating / TV configuration counter-clockwise so that the TV on the same wall as the door and the large sofa is in front of the window.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 6:12AM
lefevrej
I think i'm going to have to do a bit more searching through the Houzz living room galeries to see what i like. In my mind it feels strange to block the window with the chair, but you might be right, it might be better than splitting the 2 areas with the sofa... Thanks Dytecture
    Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 11:19AM
Living room layout/more seating
We moved in a few months ago. House needs updating...
Stacey Waltman
Need help with large/awkward living room, layout/floor plan
We have a large living room, large curved bay windows...
jenjoyce01
Need help with my living room layout AND decor
I have a sun room to the right of the fireplace, an...
ritabreen
Need help with living room layout
I know I need to buy stuff for this room-just not sure...
jillcdaniels
Need help with Living Room layout
We have no furniture for it so it's really a blank...
paulolg
Living Room Built in color? White or darker wood?
We are remodeling the fireplace. Putting stone all...
armstrongcs
How can I decorate a wall above an off-center sofa?
Hello, I’m trying to decorate the wall above the...
hamfighter
Lobby redecorating-cost estimate
As a committee member for our condo lobby I am trying...
ali4gator
Cost for impact glass sliding doors with screens (lanai enclosure)
Looking to enclose my lanai and want BALL PARK price....
mcclelland713
Help needed with a 1970's bathroom
This 1970's bathroom needs a fresh coat of paint and...
veronc