Backsplash dilemna
pauleisner
I need a backsplash for a kitchen. Cabinet style shaker. Maple with cherry stain. Counter top black galaxy. apartment style is contemporary ( loft in old brick building) Close by are original bricks in a framed wall . I am at lost. need some warmth
Aggie Purvinska
Looks very nice and plenty warm to me, look into getting back painted glass backsplash, something that doesn't compete with the exposed brick, IMO.

]
1 Like   December 5, 2012 at 1:22PM
Stoneshop
How about an almond beveled subway tile? The almond color will pick up on the gold flecks in your countertop as well as give that warmth that you are looking for. You could even get it in a crackle finish if you would like some extra sparkle. You should most likely stay away from a stone backsplash since you already have the exposed brick nearby. As AggieDesigns pointed out, you do not want to compete with it. Your kitchen looks beautiful so far!
0 Likes   December 5, 2012 at 1:55PM
Rio Brewster
OR look into arts and crafts-style ceramic tile in a nice earthy palette.

0 Likes   December 5, 2012 at 2:06PM
Aesthetic Tile Imaging
You can see examples of the unlimited possibilities using art fired on tile - look at my Houzz profile page for photos to stir your ideas
1 Like   December 5, 2012 at 5:29PM
Rio Brewster

This is what I meant to post to show the general palette. It doesn't have to be multi-colored but the terra-cotta pulls in the brick, the rusts echo the cabinets and the green provides a nice counterbalance.
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 10:28AM
benjijk
This is a nice warm mosaic, mix of marble and glass - http://tiledaily.com/2012/09/04/random-brick-series-marble-and-glass-mosaic/
Alternatively, you can also use wood patterned mosaics as a backsplash - http://tiledaily.com/2012/01/17/wood-pattern-porcelain-mosaics/
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 11:31AM
pauleisner
yes, but is beige OK with copper flecks of black galaxy granite? Do you have free sample of this tile for the customer
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 1:16PM
remodelormove
Your beautiful wood and countertop combined with the exposed brick already has a nice warm feel. Why not try something a bit more out of the ordinary for backsplash? Mirror backsplash is sleek and modern, but also makes the space look larger and reflects more light back into the room.
1 Like   December 6, 2012 at 1:20PM
Rio Brewster
I think depending on the tone of the beige it could work, although I personally am allergic to beige. ;^)

But given all the great textures you already have, I think a beige subway tile is pretty blah. Now if it's a handmade ceramic with an interesting glaze like corn silk here:
http://countryfloors.com/en/category/area/rustic/alhambra/field-tiles/field-tiles/alhfield06

That would work - but you'd have to get a sample to be sure.
1 Like   December 6, 2012 at 2:36PM
Rio! Allergic to beige???? Doubtful !!!!
1 Like   December 6, 2012 at 3:53PM
nevadan
Use brick or brick facing to match the existing brick. Cover it with sheets of plexiglass screwed into place.
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 4:12PM
Rio Brewster
You've seen my pictures olldbob. The beige that is left on the walls is there under protest. ;^)
As a matter of fact I feel a sneeze coming on right now...
2 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 7:58AM
calikym
if you use a neutral beige or gray, add texture with something like glass tile. I know color is more risky but personally I still love my blue mosaic glass 5 years later. People still compliment it and colors seem to lift my spirits. As for beige, I have to admit, I'm tired of it too. It's way overused and I have been spending lots of money getting rid of my beige house.
1 Like   December 7, 2012 at 8:09AM
Rio, thanks for the chuckle!
1 Like   December 7, 2012 at 8:21AM
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi pauleisner!
Because your cabinets(which are gorgeous by the way) are a mid tone and your counters are dark, I would actually recommend keeping the backsplash a lighter color to create contrast. Because your kitchen has such clean, contemporary lines, you can really do something fun. I assume your wall color will be fairly neutral and light, being a loft. Below are some tiles from our site to serve as a little inspiration for you.
0 Likes   December 7, 2012 at 10:27AM
Kitchen Backsplash Dilemna
We are planning a kitchen renovation with white shaker...
Curtain pattern dilemna
Hello, I am currently having curtains made for my...
Kitchen range hood finish dilemna
I'm selling our rental and have put in white tile floors,...
Master Bath Paint Color Dilemna
We recently removed our fiberglass shower and installed...
Exterior dilemna
I need help figuring out how to make this house look...
Help balancing living room please.
So we moved into our rental on Sept 1 and I kinda just...
Please help with clock height over server.
Is this clock at a good height above this server?
Media storage unit suggestions
We have a 60 inch TV and looking for a media unit ideally...
SECOND STORY CATWALK EXTENSION
HAVE CATWALKS ON BOTH SIDES OF OF HOUSE BUT ONLY HALF...
Where to start!
I have inherited 200 acres. We have drilled a couple...