dorky lighting
susandawn
Does anyone use the word "dorky" anymore? I just can't think of a better descriptor. I've had a couple other discussions going on pavers, wood flooring, painting brick, etc. But now I'm really bugged by the light fixtures I have previously ignored because they seemed to be the least of my decorating worries. . .

What should I put up in my newly-created pantry (not organized yet--don't judge, people)? The single light bulb is not pretty, but it is bright.

Also, there are two other light fixtures that seem to make no sense in my house (the whole house has very little light--why did the previous owners who built the house not install lighting?--weird).

The one next to the arch had a mirror underneath it. The thing that is weird is it seems like maybe there should be 2 lights--one on either side of the archway. I can picture something wrought iron. . .

Can you use outdoor lighting for indoor purposes?

The other light is a puny one up on a huge wall very high up. I really need to get a chandelier to hang down over the table (not in the kitchen because the floor is being installed). Would that look weird to have such a long chain suspended to bring the chandelier to the right height? Also, should I have the high-up light removed so that I can put up a tapestry or some cool art on that high wall? It seems like a blank canvas to me.

Thanks for your input. You all have such great ideas.
As for the dining room - better a long chain than a high chandy! Try a semi-flush drum light for the pantry - very stylish and the right shade should diffuse the glare and shed useful light all around. I like your tapestry idea to cover the single dorky sconce light. The other one should def have a mate if you can pull that off. I like contemporary but your flooring may be leading you to other styles.
December 5, 2012 at 3:35PM   
houssaon
How about this for the pantry: Modern Ceiling Lighting or this with or without the stripe: Westmont 6" Light The metal on the second one has a few options. Love this one: The Original® Warehouse Flush Mount Pendant. This one is very utilitarian: Murray Feiss Gravity FM22 Flush Mount

As for the other lights, the one over the entry to the kitchen seems out of place. Do you need one there at all? The other one seem to be too high unless you get a lantern. Restoration Warehouse Redding Station Lantern - Bronze or Geneva 2-light Wall Lantern.
December 5, 2012 at 3:38PM     
gooselake
Wow those lights are tiny and look lost. You can buy a shade for the pantry light. It attaches itself to the bulb-kind of upside down- but looks nice. We have one in our basement bedroom.
Lose the mini light on the high wall! I probably wouldn't do anything there because the eye will be drawn to the vent underneath it.
December 5, 2012 at 3:42PM   
Barn Light Electric Company
I wouldn't say "dorky" but "puny" works. With your high ceilings and ample wall space, you are fortunate to be able to play around with larger wall sconce and pendant options.

To answer your question, yes, you can use some outdoor lights indoors. We have many customers who've installed our gooseneck lights in their kitchens and high vaulted living rooms and they look great! Wall sconces with greater projections might also look good.

The Old Dixie Wall Sconce is rated for outdoor locations, but looks great anywhere. It's very sleek and contemporary: http://www.barnlightelectric.com/wall-sconce-lighting/barn-wall-sconces/the-old-dixie-wall-sconce.html

The Goodrich™ Union Porcelain Gooseneck Light is an example of a gooseneck light that would look classy in a room with high vaulted ceilings. Placing two over the arch way is an awesome way to add visual interest and balance into the space: http://www.barnlightelectric.com/porcelain-lights-goosenecks-pendants/goodrich-gooseneck-lights/goodrich-union-14-porcelain-gooseneck-light.html

Hope that helps!
December 6, 2012 at 1:35PM     
mkittaka
some thought given to pantry lighting
February 1, 2013 at 3:37PM   
Barnhart Gallery
Yes, dorky is a word, and yes, it aptly applies. Yes, you can use exterior lights indoors -- just not vice versa -- and I designed my guest bath around an african slate floor paired with bronze outdoor lanterns.

Perhaps the fixture high up over the wide opening could be swapped out for a picture light (I love this one from Restoration Hdwr:

http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1619124&categoryId=search )

to highlight a piece of wall sculpture, such as a carved panel, placed to disguise that little vent.
February 1, 2013 at 3:49PM   
How about something like this for the wall sconce by the arch? It has a cool vibe and it doesn't look like it requires a "pair" to look "right". It has a longer neck so it will lower the light for you as well. I agree with you to just cap the one above the vent on the big blank wall. Any cover for your pantry bulb will work just fine.

February 1, 2013 at 4:04PM     
Duplex design but looking like a one house from exterior
I have an existing house in Sydney Australia. On the...
Any suggestions for finishing my kitchen/living room
Hi all! I have been working on my kitchen for a while...
URGENT. HELP!!
GUYS, HAVE TO LOCK ORDER FOR KITCHEN CABINET DOORS....
Need to hide my neighbors fence
Hi I need help to hide my neighbors fence. Every time...