Mixing Metals? NEED Chandelier HELP!
nlmackay
Hi - I have an open floor plan home and I'm struggling to coordinate all of the rooms. My kitchen has all stainless steel appliances and I am going to be buying these pendants for my island: http://www.destinationlighting.com/storeitem.jhtml?iid=353709

You can see the dining room from the kitchen. I have black iron curtain rods in there, but a silver mirror above my buffet What kind of chandelier do I get? One that is silver to go with the kitchen lights and mirror, or one that is black/oil rubbed bronze to match the curtain rods? I will also need to get lamps for my buffet, which will be by the mirror: http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod2050016&categoryId=search

Any chandelier suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm struggling and would love a new chandelier for when I host Christmas :)
A picture is really needed for specific chandy suggestions. But, I prefer to have lighting complement each other.
0 Likes   December 5, 2012 at 6:22PM
In your dining room, do not concern yourself with the kitchen. Black is a neutral so the rod color doesn't count. The little silver beading on your RH mirror looks just like the mirror itself. I actually think that black or dark gray lamps would be nice on the buffet. What size, shape, and style is your dining room table? Chairs?
0 Likes   December 5, 2012 at 6:23PM
nlmackay
Here are some pics, house is a mess and ignore the awful table cloth. All of these rooms open up to one another. I'm working on "jazzing" up the living room, too.
0 Likes   December 5, 2012 at 6:25PM
nlmackay
Since the dining room and living room are one super long room, should I look for a rectangular chandelier? Everything is so brown and dark. I want to lighten these rooms up (I had a previous post asking for help on how to do that!) I'm also in the market for upholstered chairs for the heads of my table, and I'm thinking of possibly changing all of the chairs to parson slipcovered chairs in order to break up all of the brown.
0 Likes   December 5, 2012 at 6:28PM
I like the first chandelier below because it has one foot planted in traditional soil while the other one is taking a leap forward into the modern world, just as your house seems to be doing. The second one has a futuristic look while sporting old style Edison bulbs. Pencil Arm Modern Chandelier 36" Candelaria Chandelier
0 Likes   December 5, 2012 at 6:38PM
I like a little sparkle. This linear chandy nods to modern, and traditional.

1 Like   December 5, 2012 at 6:42PM
Just so you don't think that Darzy is alone in her love of sparkle, here's one from Carolyn.
1 Like   December 5, 2012 at 6:50PM
Ahh Carolyn..LOVE that chandy! It's better than my sparkle pick for nllmackay's space.
1 Like   December 5, 2012 at 10:48PM
nlmackay
Hi - thank you ALL so much for the suggestions! I personally love the bling, but my husband not so much :( I came across a few other options and wanted to get your thoughts.
http://www.destinationlighting.com/storeitem.jhtml?iid=346311

It also comes in a two tier option, but would that be a bit much? Is there a rule of thumb when it comes to what size light you should have? And again - do I get silver or iron?

Or what about something like this, although it would block my mirror. Would I get buffet lamps with rectangular/square shades? http://www.ethanallen.com/product?productId=404&categoryId=4141805

Thanks again for any help!
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 6:44AM
nlmackay
Just had another thought....Carolyn, I like this chandelier you recommended, but it's a bit out of my budget!

I wonder if I could remove the ugly frosted shades on my chandelier, and replace it with similar light bulbs. At least that could be a temporary fix until I find something. Thoughts?
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 7:37AM
There are similar chandeliers from other companies on the market these days. Try googling edison bulb chandeliers. I'll take a look too.
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 7:49AM
Why not buy one edison bulb and try it. I fear that you'll see too much of the mechanical part of the fixture once you remove the glass. Here's what I found in the last 4 minutes, and I know there are more on the market. I suggest checking with your local lighting store as they may have things that haven't actually hit the internet yet...yes, sounds impossible, but it happens. http://www.shadesoflight.com/cirque-du-edison-chandelier-2-finishes.html?&gclid=CMqP7LGRhrQCFU6mPAod3TgAqw
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 7:56AM
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 7:59AM
nlmackay
Hi Carolyn - I just took one of the shades off. So if I get bulbs you'll see that black part. Do you think it'll look weird? What if I got a round bulb?
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 8:39AM
Hi..nl. I don't think the edison bulb will work with your chandy. What is your max budget?
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 12:12PM
nlmackay
Since I'm trying to update several things in our home, I was hoping to stay under $500 for this light. Can you think of any other quick fixes that could work with this chandelier? I really need "something".for when I host xmas.
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 12:14PM
This one will complement your pendant lights. http://www.destinationlighting.com/storeitem.jhtml?iid=353356
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 12:16PM
nlmackay
Oh, I like that very much! Thank you. I just need to get hubby to agree on the price :)
0 Likes   December 6, 2012 at 12:18PM
HELP! I need help with mixing metals in my bathroom
We moved into a house with all oil rubbed bronze finishes....
Need help mixing metals for cabinet and door hardware
I am updating some spaces in my house. My house is...
Need help mixing metal finishes in bathroom
I am having trouble choosing the right metal finishes...
need help with a design dilemma . is it appropriate to mix metals?
What are the design "rules" for metals used in kitchen...
Need help with mixing metals in older house
I have a 30 yr. old house with shiny brass everywhere:...
House exterior
I want to repaint my house and roof .please advice...
Too cramped, and dark.
I would like a baking center, and a coffee center.
oil or stain new interior doors
installing new knotty alder interior doors id like...
Am I heading in the right direction?
My goal is cottage style with craftsman influences....
Our new sunroom.
Walls are a light gray with blue tint. Chairs are...