What color goes with 1980's Yellow bathroom suite & brown ceramic tiles?
scorchio
Help people with taste, design and a keen eye!!

We have just moved into a Tudor "fixer upper" and there have been been many fixes made. But now we're on a tight old budget! Ultimately we will gut the Master bathroom but until then, what wall color will help a Yellow bathroom suite, brown ceramic floor tiles, brown shower/tub tiles?? I have tried yellow walls, milky cocoa, & a pale blue.... HELP please. I will attach images in a minute. Thank you!
Try some shade of greige that has a warm base to it.
December 6, 2012 at 3:38pm   
scorchio
Photos of bathroom, with various colors painted about the place to try and get sense of what colors will do..... the original wall covering was a cream wall paper with a delicate Laura Ashleyesque circa 1980's flower trellis pattern on it.... am I totally wrong to think a vibrant aqua or turquoise will be fun?
December 6, 2012 at 4:07pm   
scorchio
the towel hooks and paper holders will go.... (they're an ivy green!)
December 6, 2012 at 4:09pm   
TanCalGal
I'd choose a color that blended beautifully with the brownish tiles. There is no blue in the room & that is why the pale blue does not work nor the turquoise nor aqua. The yellow is in the tub & toilet not in the tile. The cocoa is getting to the right idea, but there is too much pink or mauve or some other undertone in that particular cocoa. I think the color that is on this bedroom wall might be OK, but you'll have to get paint chips and match the right color and then paint foam board and see if the actual paint on the chip color works with your tile. If you can find the right harmonizing paint, I think the bathroom will be quite lovely. I'd buy shower curtain & towels in that tan color as well. Beard Residence - Tudor-style Home Remodel
Burlap Shower Curtain with Bullion Fringe
December 6, 2012 at 4:50pm   
scorchio
Thank you both for your input. I will try out your color ideas and put up pictures. Thanks
December 7, 2012 at 5:19am     
Natalie
Hi---White or off-white walls, tie colors altogether with a shower curtain and call it day... :) Good Luck! http://www.westelm.com/products/butterfly-shower-curtain-b575/?pkey=cshower-curtains&cm_src=shower-curtains||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-
December 7, 2012 at 6:07am   
creeser
My first thought was like your's. Go with something vibrant to 'wake up' the room. However, I think blending in the colors for something more classic (especially being a tudor style home) might work better. Another option could be to paint stripes on the wall using a cream and the chocolate milk, but as olldj22 said, get the right colors to match the undertone in your tile. Love the burlap shower curtain with the monogram as well. Something gorgeous and over the top in the that.
December 7, 2012 at 6:21am     
scorchio
tried to harmonize with the tile
December 7, 2012 at 9:34am   
TanCalGal
It looks good to me from here. Here's a good paint tutorial: http://www.lindaholtinteriors.com/2011/07/testing-wall-color-101/

Art over the toilet might be nice. This art shows a tan + yellow + aqua (a color you like).

December 7, 2012 at 10:05am   
scorchio
Thanks so much. Been trying out more colors. Not sure if the lighter one might be better... I chose the middle of three ... Going to look at tutorial before painting whole room. Was thinking I could paint one wall in a toning color ( from the 3 I just got)
December 7, 2012 at 10:24am   
BM Sea Star may look great if your tiles are showing correctly on my monitor.
December 7, 2012 at 10:54am   
scorchio
Going to look for some Art! In the meantime , it got painted
December 7, 2012 at 3:20pm     
December 7, 2012 at 3:24pm   
Your best advice to keep slugs at bay
Few things are as annoying as slugs. They're a gardener's...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Help with exterior!
Please help me figure out what color shade to paint...
How do you accessorise your bed?
Some people love piling on cushions on their beds,...
French door opening direction!
I am working on house renovation in seattle area. ...