Help with the basement layout
greatexpectations
December 6, 2012 in Other
I've been trying to make a decision about how to re-finish the basement for a few YEARS, so I would really appreciate your input. The key dilemma is - is it possible to split a 1250-1290 sq ft of space + some 100 sq ft of cold cellar into a 1BR rental unit and also keep a significant portion of it for our own use. Given the stiff code requirements and countless anecdotes about problems with renters, the dilemma has morphed into: rental suite + our space, no rental, or a layout that could easily be turned into a rental.

A real estate agent suggested that 1/2 of the basement + the laundry could be turned into a 1 bedroom rental, while the part with the fireplace + the storage room could remain for our use. She thought that the rental would be "big enough" given the size of the condos in the metro area.

We need a laundry in the basement and, since an office needs to go there too, a powder room for our use would be a very useful feature.

I have since talked to more than a dozen people in the building/renovation business and spent countless hours trying to figure out a layout that could work (and meet the code requirements) - so far with no success.

Stumbling blocks: cinder block walls which separate the laundry/utility area and the cold cellar from the central section of the basement and locations of "door" openings in them, no room for any alterations of the staircase, a large deck that makes it impossible to open another window on the south side of the house, a huge stone-faced fireplace, steel posts, fuse box, and the furnace. There is at present no separate entrance. Hot and cold water supply run to under the stairs, where a rental hot water tank is (no drain there - so it will either have to be relocated or a drain opened next to it - to meet the code).

We'll appreciate any suggestions.
Need help with basement ideas and layout
I'm struggling with my furniture layout. How to make...
jpowell88
Help me decide on a layout for our basement/home theater room
We are looking to build an entertainment area and make...
thezookeeper
Basement bathroom layout help
We are finishing the basement and I need to decide...
printesa
Basement layout. Help please!!!
We are needing to design part of our basement layout....
tdukeshire
Need help with basement layout!!
We are in the process of finishing our basement and...
holdroyd
Does Tuscan faux finish look dated?
We recently bought a house in Arizona that is very...
gail1979
Pros and cons of a gas fireplace?
The house we are considering purchasing has a gas fireplace....
tcrjmr
Should I add molding?
I am having a hard time deciding if I should add crown...
sheraade
Help with this bathroom please!
I just put the rock up on the wall as an accent to...
erica320
merging 2 coops
I am considering purchasing the studio next to mine...
Avi Levine