Need ideas for my kitchen!
Heather Swanson
I need some input on what to do with my kitchen! It opens directly to my living and dining room which I want to paint in a lighter shade of green. I want to change the kitchen so I don't have a green overload. Any suggestions for wall and accent colors? I plan on building a box to hide the garbage and recycling bins, and would like to keep the cabinets white. We will be replacing the countertops eventually as well, but I am not sure what color to go with there either. Any input is much appreciated!
Why don't you pick the green for the living room first? After we see it painted, we might have some ideas for you, or you might just do well to use another shade of green from the strip. It probably won't be overload. Green is such a restful color - one of my favs and in living, bedroom and kitchen at my home. Always gets compliments.
December 7, 2012 at 11:25am     
karenilene6
I say get an old fashioned mustard yellow wall paper that has something with green leaves and white to compliment the green in the living room and your white cabinets!
December 7, 2012 at 3:07pm     
doggieg
The window treatments and an area rug will help. Tie in black somewhere in the window and rug to balance out the green. The backsplash of the cabinets needs to be warmed up - maybe some of the panels that look like punched metal?
December 7, 2012 at 3:08pm   
SHARPBUILT Construction, Inc.
I would move the dishwasher to the left a bit to allow for the refrigerator. Then you would be able to use that small wall currently being occupied by the fridge as a small eating area or some sort of cute nook.
December 7, 2012 at 3:10pm     
Shar Buse_Croy_Wilbert
JMO but to me you need more color and contrast.....I think your back splash should be the same color green as your walls in varying shades of glass tile to give some spark...then I would purchase a bright area rug in shades of green, gold and maybe reddish-orange....floral or contemporary design...whatever you like....put some darker knobs on your cabinets...they blend too much...need contrast...maybe a rubbed oil bronze...hard to see your cabinets up close....for your window., I would pick up a woven shade with the same colors as your rug and also bring out the contrasting colors in accessories on your counter, wall art etc.
December 7, 2012 at 3:15pm     
Shar Buse_Croy_Wilbert
BTW...I DO like that color green...very calming, but it just needs to be balanced with some wow factor...;)
December 7, 2012 at 3:17pm   
ginale
I agree.... The fridge needs to be moved.
December 7, 2012 at 4:23pm   
onalimbflorals
This actualy has good bones. My question would be are the celings popcorn? Even if they are, I would still scrap and flatten them. Then paint the celing... almost any color would work, (I have done mustard, red and blue-green on the celings of my houses... all looked good) Then a new light fixture and crown molding. Paint the kitchen white / ivory so that it flows with the other rooms. A painted ceiling gives you a "pop" factor. Your cabinets are nice, love the "window" A fun area rug and you are done.
December 7, 2012 at 4:42pm     
kdfiles
I would take out the double cabinet next to the stove. Move the stove over and put the frig in that space. I think your backsplash is pretty blah. I wouldl remove it and paint the backsplash same color as the rest of the walls. Update the knobs and handles on your cabinets. Add a colorful valance and coordinating rug. It is difficult to "figure out" how wide the kitchen is, but maybe a narrow island. It would add extra work space and storag. When not is use, it could live on the "frig" wall. Good luck, can't wait to see the finished project.
December 7, 2012 at 4:53pm   
Sharyn
It looks like the space where the dishwasher is, is where your refrigerator should be. Option 1) They make dishwashers that will fit in the smaller space next to your sink and put the fridge back where it belongs. Remove the cabinet above to make room for the fridge. Option2) Move the dishwasher over to the other side of the drawer unit. On the current fridge wall, you can keep it plain and simple (A great spot for a very large graphic print), or add some 12" deep cabinets (if you have the depth for it) for a lot of extra storage. I think a nice soft creamy yellow would accent your other greens as well as make the white cabinets pop. Add one or two black accent accessories. Add a colorful valance on the window. Good Luck.
December 7, 2012 at 6:17pm   
Shar Buse_Croy_Wilbert
Yes, if you rearrange your appliances...lose some cabinet space for the dishwasher, to be relocated...then you could totally give your kitchen a NEW look! Take the wall that your refrig now resides on and put wall to wall cabinets above, as well as below where you could make dble doors to hide your trash cans etc.....and in the center area below you may want to add a desk area....use with a computer or just to write your grocery list....or add more interest to a wall of cabinetry...then put the ref where the stove now is...the stove where the D/W now is and put the D/W somewhere close to the sink by removing some cabinetry. Voila! You have a much more practical kitchen, and a lot more storage. I think it would also add interest to the bare wall and make the overall look of the kitchen larger.
December 8, 2012 at 5:52am     
Shar Buse_Croy_Wilbert
I wanted to also add...if you put the new cabinets at the same height as your present cabinets, you could either build it in above and paint it just like thy existing cabinets or you could put them the same height but do not build in above...instead, fill the space with greenery or plates display or interesting vases, baskets ......anything to add interest and color to that space. I personally think leaving it open above to display things is the best option.
December 8, 2012 at 5:56am   
Shar Buse_Croy_Wilbert
Looking again at your photos, your ref looks as tho it may be too wide to fit in the area of your stove.....but you could leave it where it is and build around it, making it look more like the rest of the kitchen, adding cabinets all the way across above and on either side.
December 8, 2012 at 5:59am   
jingstad
The refrigerator definitely needs to be fit into the cabinet part of your kitchen. Most likely where the dishwasher is. Because of the doorways, it is very difficult to do any kind of cabinetry around the refrigerator and it seems to be in the way. Is it possible to move the dishwasher down towards the sink and then move that doorway toward the sink and make more room for cabinetry around the refrigerator? That would make much better use of the space. Then put an 18" wide pantry cabinet...floor to ceiling...to the left of the fridge. Move the fridge to butt up against it. Then on the right side of the fridge build a counter which angles back to the doorway. Build cabinets above it and the fridge all the way to the ceiling. You could have a drawer cabinet below the counter next to the fridge and then leave the rest of the counter open for a desk/eating counter. It would give you a little extra counter space, as well. I don't know if this makes sense, but, I can see all clearly in my head! :0)
December 8, 2012 at 7:33am   
Dar Eckert
What's on the other side of the wall behind the refrigerator? Can you remove this wall? It seems like it would be a good location for an island. The dishwasher is way too far from the sink it must be kind of a pain to use. Maybe the dishwasher and sink should be on the island? Or...get refrigerator and freezer drawers for the island leaving everything else as it. Lotsa possibilities just limited by the amount of work you want to do.
December 8, 2012 at 8:07am   
Heather Swanson
Thank you for all the great ideas! Our fridge is quite large. It actually sticks out over 8 inches further than our countertops, so I can't imagine it would work very well where the dishwasher or stove is, but that may be the best option. It would be very convenient to move the dishwasher closer to the sink. Also, the fridge is much wider than the stove and dishwasher. I would have to build out the wall behind it so that it doesn't overhang, making the entry way smaller by 3 inches. I think moving the fridge to where the dishwasher is would be less work and mean giving up less cabinet space than moving it to the stove's spot and knocking out cabinets for the stove and range hood.

Although an area rug would probably look nice and add pop to the room, I don't know how practical it is to have a rug in a kitchen, especially with children in the house and a messy, clumsy husband (I can just imagine how many spills and crumbs and stains would be involved, yikes!).

What kind of window treatment should I use? Blinds, curtains, roman shades?

I also like the idea of adding a pantry or some kind of storage where the fridge is now, especially if we are removing some cabinets.

Dar, the wall behind the fridge separates the kitchen from the living room. It is a structural wall so removing it altogether would be out of the question. We could cut a large opening in it, or remove most of the wall and leave a couple pillars. I would prefer to keep the wall there, as I think removing most of it would open up the space a little too much. Our dining area is open to the living room as well so opening up the kitchen that much would make it all one big space, which I don't like. (Am I the only one who prefers rooms to open concept? lol)

The color I have chose for my living and dining room is Behr's Laurel Leaf. Furniture is reddish-brown wood (1940's french tables and shelves) with cream area run and other cream and brown accents. The dining room will be the same paint color (it is all one room). Dining room furniture is antique 1930's in honey colored finish with black and cream accents. http://www.behr.com/Behr/home#vgnextoid=c15eb3f45ecdb110VgnVCM1000006b0910acRCRD;channel=INSPIRATION;view=32

Can anyone suggest paint and backsplash colors for the kitchen that will flow nicely with our other rooms? We are kind of going for a nature/cottage/calming theme.
December 8, 2012 at 9:59am   
Shar Buse_Croy_Wilbert
I still like the idea of glass tile....you can add shades of ivory, brown, tans and greens.....the glass has a pop to it and is so easy to maintain...I have ceramic tile backslash and love it! Another thought is stone...however, it wont be as practical to clean....whatever you decode I would also suggest under cabinet lights around the counter area and whenever you change your counter, I think if you are leeping your cabs white, it should be a starker contrast. I had an Interior Design business for many years and have revamped many homes....also my husband and I used to buy and flip houses....did a LOT of remodeling....I LOVE it....but I wish you
good luck...you have a great start!!
December 8, 2012 at 12:18pm   
nomadkath
when I look at your photos for awhile, the colors make me think of sea glass, and old glass bottles, which are so pretty when the light shines through them....I can imagine bottles on the window sill, if its wide enough. And I might sponge a warm taupe over the green that is above the cabinets, to soften the amount of attention that strip of green attracts. On the counters, if you change them at some point, I would like a light wood, or sand color in a different surface. I've seen some nice pre-made recycling/garbage cabinets that you could stain or paint. If I can find pictures or websites, I'll try to send them.
December 8, 2012 at 1:12pm     
Leigh Durand
If it were my kitchen I would paint the bulkhead white to match the cupboards, imo it would make the ceiling feel higher, why do you want to highlight the bulkhead? I would also eliminate the two small strips of green beside the windows, paint it all white make it cohesive. I would get my colour from a great roman blind over the window or changing the backsplash it that is in the budget. You can do an accent wall if you like where the fridge is currently located, and definitely move the fridge if you can.
December 8, 2012 at 1:18pm     
nomadkath
http://www.advantagewoodworks.com/std_prods_kit_tb.htm ----check this out

Traditional Kitchen design by Boston Architect Siemasko + Verbridge
December 8, 2012 at 1:33pm   
Art Palette
Hello Heather, you can include beautiful calming green in the artwork behind your cook top and rest of the back splash. A beautiful mural with herbs in a basket and some medicinal flowers ( custom mural! ) should do it. Please check the website, www.artpalette.net . A custom mural can be designed just for you.
December 8, 2012 at 7:11pm   
Grace Reed
You're kitchen is charming! And, I would do exactly what Leigh is suggesting! It would look nice to add a narrow piece of trim where the cabinets meet the soffit. Also add crown molding at the ceiling and continue it around the room. I have a "To the Ceiling" Ideabook you can check out if you'd like.
Re: the appliances.
December 8, 2012 at 8:29pm   
lucindalane
Your backsplash looks pretty contemporary to me. I think that your kitchen really is laid out pretty well-it just needs a couple of tweaks, IMO. Unless you just want to start ripping stuff out, I think you can make some adjustments without going into a real remodel, unless that is just something that you want to do.
Is the green in your current backsplash going to clash with the new paint color? If not, do you really want to go to the expense of replacing it? I really don't think it looks dated at all-as I said above, I thought it looked like you probably had it done not long ago, but maybe my eyes are just outdated. :)
Anyway, for starters, I think that you could switch places with your dishwasher and the cabinet that is just to the other side of it-there is one between it with the row of drawers. It looks like you could fit it in there. I realize that this might displace either the drawer cabinet or the one that could be moved. However, my other idea is to move the fridge down toward the electrical outlet and add at least one set of cabinets on the side of the fridge, and that way the fridge wouldn't look like such an orphan sitting on that wall all by itself. I'm sure that you could get with a contractor and come up with some cabinets that would go where the dish washer was on the end, and give you that pantry. I would paint the kitchen walls a lighter green that matched the other rooms, and I would also put in a new countertop that was darker than the cabinets and the backsplash, because right now they all seem to meld together because they are all so light colored.
Hope this made sense. :)
December 8, 2012 at 8:59pm   
Grace Reed
I agree that the refrigerator needs to stay where it is. A std. depth, 36" refrigerator won't fit elsewhere. And, the DW placement is fine, in my opinion. It's close to the sink & the hubby & kids can access it when you're at the sink or range. My concern is the range placement because it's potentially unsafe. If you re-arrange anything, slide the range to the right, and add a 9" cabinet on the left; especially since it's by a doorway. (Check out Habitat for Humanity's ReStore for nice & inexpensive cabinets).
If you tile the b-splash now & replace the c-top later, keep extra tile on hand. It's possible that the 1st row(s) of tile might be damaged during removal and/or installation. I'd suggest doing something less permanent for now. If you like bead board, it could be used on the soffit & b-splash.
BTW, I'm a kitchen designer. Have fun!
December 8, 2012 at 9:25pm     
Grace Reed
A shelf with metal or wood brackets would look great underneath the short cabinet over the DW.
December 8, 2012 at 9:41pm     
David Stallworth
I'd suggest choosing a soothing green colour for your kitchen and then lightening it by 10% as one enters into the dining room and then another 10% as one enters the living room. Don't choose a colour that looks bright or garish, choose a colour that looks attractively calming to you then purchase a paint sample and try it upon your wall to better see how the colour works in your chosen room. As for the appliances, save up for stainless steel ones which match your new fridge and see about having a carpenter build some storage cabinets on either side of your fridge in a style that either compliments your existing cabinets or if you want to change the look of your kitchen, compliments the look of your new cabinets...I'd suggest a Shaker style which tends to be timeless in its' simplicity and tends to work with a good number of furniture designs without problem. Plus, because of the Shaker style simplicity, it would prove easy to add borders around the cabinets' interiors in case you chose to go more formal, rustic, Victorian, etc. later down the line and change the hardware if you're so inclined as that automatically revamps a kitchen without too much effort and add some simple crown molding to the ceiling to increase the visual height. Doing so works wonders and makes a small kitchen look larger even when it isn't.
December 9, 2012 at 9:37am   
David Stallworth
As for countertops, I'd suggest granite or ceasarstone which tends to be anti-microbial. Here's a link to their products. http://www.caesarstoneus.com/products/ Concerning a backsplash I'd really suggest sitting down with a kitchen expert in order to get the type of backsplash that truly appeals to you and makes you happy. Once you do that then start painting in order for there to be continuous flow from one room into the next. It shall not only make your home feel larger but also tie everything in together. Cheers and good wishes on an incredible transformation whatever your style might be. Though considering countertops and a backsplash I'd suggest either this one http://www.caesarstoneus.com/products/color/6270/ or perhaps this one as it would tie in with your stainless steel and existing black/steel appliances http://www.caesarstoneus.com/products/color/6140/ . I love my granite countertops and if I couldn't get them I'd definitely invest in Ceasarstone for the long lasting endurance and utter timelessness of the material with minimal upkeep. I have stainless steel appliances in my kitchen. Cheers
December 9, 2012 at 9:45am   
janeejones
I would tone down the color in the kitchen and go with something more neutral that complements the walls that flow from there. The dark green might be nice for the living room. Many times your local paint store has a complementary color consultant who can help you select the right colors. if you have this option, i highly recommend you go this route as color can make or break a room and it can be overwhelming to do it yourself. I always consult a professional. either in-store or i hire someone to come to my home. Colors look very different on a paint chip or even in a 3 foot sample swatch painted on your wall, than they do in your home with your furnishings and lighting.
December 9, 2012 at 9:52am   
peleshokl
I would strongly recommend a darker laminate countertop - it would contrast the white cabinets and would definitely look good with your wood floor. Check out Wilsonart hi-definition colours or Formica FX180 series - they would look great and not break the budget with real stone. Then choose a tile for the backsplash. You aren't going to break your wallet and laminate holds up great. Also, if down the road you get new cabinetry, then you could spend the money on stone countertops.
December 9, 2012 at 10:36am     
Leigh Durand
Good point Grace, the stove next to the door is a hazard, consider swapping the stove and the fridge for safety.
December 9, 2012 at 10:54am     
apple tree
I appreciated Mr. Stallworth's suggestion of the Caesarstone 6270, Atlantic Salt. I had thought I would go with one side of my kitchen in white countertop, and the other side in gray (all with white cabinets). But now, maybe with the Atlantic salt. Any suggestions on a gray that would go with the Atlantic Salt on the opposite countertop? Thanks!
December 9, 2012 at 7:28pm   
heidigreta
I would suggest a smart move would be to pay a licensed, independent designer/architect to make sure what and where you can move any appliances and if you can add any additional cabinetry or a pantry on the wall where the fridge is. Money well spent to receive professional advice. Then come back to this site to look at all the wonderful pictures to help you decide on colors, backsplash and window treatment ideas.
December 9, 2012 at 7:30pm   
Blinds Direct Canada
New kit hardware. Bamboo Blind and an area rug should round out the space.
December 10, 2012 at 3:28am   
Great imagination needed for my family room
We just moved to a new house, my giant brown sectional...
Living room - out of ideas
I am out of ideas for my living room. My objective...
Floor plan advice
I am building a vacation / future retirement ocean...
I hate this room! It's my playroom/ eating area I want to make it awes
There is a refrigerator round kitchen table small couch...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...