chandelier and paint for formal dining

guillermo1December 8, 2012
Can't decide if I need to paint room, and what kind of chandelier to buy. It only has furniture and the accent wall piece.
michigammemom
Do you want your room to have more of a Craftsman/ Mission style like your dining set, or more of a modern look like your art?
    Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 10:07AM
guillermo1
I am trying to go more artistic and modern. The table was handed down to me, and I'm not crazy about it, but I'm hoping that the art, chandelier, and paint will drown out the mission style table.
    Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 10:20AM
guillermo1
I will probably get new chairs eventually, but am stuck with this for now. :)
    Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 10:21AM
Ramona
Pick up one of the blue/greens from the art, darker tone of the color below the chair rail, lighter tone above. Reupholster the chair seats with one of the colors from the painting or a harmonizing print. There are an almost infinite supply of chandeliers out there. I would go for whimsy because I like whimsy and your art work is whimsical. Shop in second hand stores for chandeliers. Consider painting whatever you find for a dramatic touch of color. That art is almost too big, but it can work if you don't add anything extra in the room. I've seen traditional chandeliers painted a bold modern color; they look fabulous in the right setting and might be just the right choice in front of a painting that would overwhelm it otherwise.
Good for you going for that bold art. I love it.
    Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 10:28AM
thingsrcrazy
Replace light with a new round drum shade chandelier. That would offset the rectangle modern art. Also find chair covers to hide the mission style.
    Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 6:32PM
guillermo1
thingsrcrazy...that makes a lot of sense and unifies the style. I've been off balance trying to figure out what to do and that just solves the puzzle for me. Would you paint the walls a color? I was thinking a light shade of something maybe????
    Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 8:44PM
red_neck_gurl
I would not suggest a round drum style shade. The table is rectangular and needs light at both ends. A shade will block your artwork. Something simple, long and linear. Leave the upper and lower walls the same colour even if you change the paint colour. The seat covers would look nice in the bluish/ purple colour that is the painting background colour.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 9:12PM
guillermo1
I like that color idea for the chair slip covers. That may eliminate the need to paint. But, if I do paint, I agree with going with 1 color.
    Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 9:17PM
Maybe embrace the rectangles? I like how the linear lines mimic the vertical lines on the chairs and is a modern piece, like your art.
Linear Chandeliers - Moxie - 42061CMZ · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 9:17PM
designideas4me
It just struck me as funny that you want to drown out the table? lol
    Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 9:23PM
guillermo1
Would you leave the table like it is, then?
    Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 9:24PM
HI -- Would the family dis-own you if you painted part of the dining set ? If you can maybe have the chairs and or the table legs spray painted black and recover the seats in a color that is in the painting . If you are going to paint the walls then paint out the chair rail the wall color . Now for the chandelier , it has to be one that is see through like the ORBS in Restoration Hardware . I would go with the round because of the rectanguler table and the shape of the room . If you painted the room the grey background that is in the painting the room will look more modern dispite the style of the dining table set .
    Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 9:32PM
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
Leave the table as is. This Art and Crafts style can feel modern. I wouldn't add anything to the chairs or table because that is contrary to the minimalist tendency of a modern craftsman style. I would go with red for your walls, but a deep red, like Warm Earth 1274 by Benjamin Moore.
5126 Fairglen · More Info

looks similar to this. hope that helps. Charmean Neithart
1 Like    Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 9:38PM
designideas4me
That was a good idea on the red and leaving the table. I pictured her putting a bunch of modern stuff in the room big and bold enough to distract from the table..but obviously that wont work. I like this last picture and adding an accent wall.
    Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 9:45PM
I agree with Charmean to leave the table and chairs as is. I like the red walls idea too, but would it be too much to have the red on the pink side? Like in the fab art piece.
    Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 9:46PM
designideas4me
To me the chandilier over the glass table looks too big. What are the exact proportions supposed to be for a table size and chandilier size?
    Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 9:47PM
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
I might consider, if you're going to paint anyway and want to go more artistic and modern, to remove the chair rail completely. Just a thought.

Consider this slip cover, but make sure you wrap the wood with dacron so you get a nice clean look. Will go with any colour on the walls and pick upn on the frame of your art.

I might also consider a little deeper shade than the floor for the walls.
    Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 6:11AM
Need help completing formal dining room!
Need suggestions on chairs, rug, etc. to complete my...
jdlockart
How to make a formal dining room less formal
Hey all! Attached are pictures of the dining...
pseekand
Alternate use for formal dining room
Our transitional style home has a large eat in kitchen...
sandramonroe0908
Need advice choosing paint color for formal dining room
I am considering painting our formal dining room -...
annepershing
Help with paint color for formal dining room
Please help! I made the mistake of painting my dining...
hollywould
Breakfast nook
I have been struggling with this area for the past...
izabug
color dilemma, HELP!!!
Delima. Small bathroom blueish gray floor tile earthtone...
Lorrie Colson
Do the sizes of these handles look ok?
Partway through our kitchen reno (lol, as you can see...
Rochelle Hepworth
Long wall of kitchen windows
Looking to build new house... Want big window facing...
Ann Bennett
Windows!
Hello!how do i dress the windows when its cornered...
Jelena Bora