How do you "winterize" the outdoor kitchen?
Karen Heffernan
December 8, 2012 in Photo Questions
We had an outdoor kitchen in California, and loved it. We've moved back to the Boston area, and I assumed that because of the climate, an outdoor kitchen wouldn't be practical, but your work has inspired me. How do you protect it during the winter? Can it still be used during the winter? Thanks
Aesthetic Tile Imaging
Thanks for your great question.

It's important to keep the pool from freezing throughout the year; it must remain heated at least above freezing. An insulating pool cover will reduce energy costs. Any water pipes that lead to the outdoor kitchen should be well insulated or heated as well.

The art mural is completely frost resistant since the tiles are porcelain.- of course they must be installed professionally to keep water from the back side. The art tile would also be suitable for installation in the pool, a fountain, or a shower, integrated within the fence, or used to adorn hardscape and landscaping.

On my Houzz profile page you will see a watercolor painting reproduced on tile. I believe the lighthouse in the painting is near you. The artist lives near Boston and does very good work - her name is Jill Flynne.

I wish you the very best in designing your outdoor space in your new Boston home. I see no reason why you can't enjoy an outdoor kitchen whenever the weather is acceptable. Please let me know if I can help you with art tile.

Best regards,
Dave White
Aesthetic Tile Imaging
December 8, 2012 at 10:44am     
Architectural Details & Woodworking, Inc.
Hi Karen... Outdoor kitchens CAN be implemented in colder climates. We have an outdoor kitchen division which is centered around offering durable, long lasting outdoor cabinets ideal for a variety of climates. Notably, we offer PVC and Starboard as the materials of choice and have had great success. If you are interested, visit our outdoor kitchen website @ http://www.verandaoutdoor.com!
December 11, 2012 at 11:05am     
Please help me with my bedroom
So I received so much amazing help with my lounge,...
Your biggest layout pet peeve?
We've all got them. What's your biggest pet peeve...
need help with high ceiling lighting
Just bought an unusual house (note the angled wall)....
switch for garbage disposal and electrical outlets in kitchen island
We are remodeling a new house and our kitchen has an...
advice
I'd like to update my kitchen. I want to paint the...