11 years ago
Re tile? Re decorate? Move?
Re tile
Re decorate

Comments (69)

• patriciamaia
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    All great ideas, I am so grateful. I am impressed by your responses. I think I will keep the tile and work with a decorator. Will post the 'after' photo.
  • penelopesdreamydesigns
    11 years ago
    Hi Patricia, I liked the idea perreaul suggested with keeping the floor and changing things in the room, here is a beautiful room with lots of plants and a dark floor that is stunning you might like.
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/2009-southern-accents-showhome-victorian-sunroom-dallas-phvw-vp~505309
  • patriciamaia
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Tomorrow we will get an estimate of the cost to remove tile and then re tile. I think I got a bit ahead of myself because I have a project budget. Green is also the color money.
  • Nancy Hehmann
    11 years ago
    Pantone just announced that green is going to be this years "color" Even in clothing it is supposed to be making a resurgence. But, it is limiting decorating wise.
  • nasmijati
    11 years ago
    I would work with the tile. It is so expensive to replace, and it is in excellent condition.

If you feel you absolutely must cover it for a particular room's decor, you could use a floor cloth to make your eclectic style spectacular!
  • patriciamaia
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you for all the comments. Green is beautiful out doors, the challenge with green in doors is the decorating...paint, lighting, furniture. I am feeling more challenged by the green than defeated. Any thoughts?
  • jagood
    11 years ago
    Sometimes it's just too difficult to see what "could be" when we're staring at "what is". Can you empty the main rooms you've shown in the photo and paint the walls first so you're not being overwhelmed by the teal and yellow walls and all of the furniture in the room that clashes with the floor?
  • patriciamaia
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The empty space.
  • patriciamaia
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The empty space.
  • anabel_chacon
    11 years ago
    I think what is important is to take your time. Leave the tiles for now and work with decorating around it. You'd be amazed how time can change our first impressions. I think jagood has the right idea.
  • PRO
    Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
    11 years ago
    Keep the tile and redecorate - lotsa great suggestion already - BTW - love your home!
  • Alison Heppell
    11 years ago
    Its very classy dont tear it out .,plenty of big plants and light wood ...fab!
  • Alison Heppell
    11 years ago
    Its always cheaper to get a perfect paint mix,than a new floor
  • PRO
    Hurst Total Home, Inc.
    11 years ago
    Try a product like Avaire snap together floor tiles. They can go over ANY floor material other than carpet and are laid without thinset. You still grout them, but it saves you the cost & time of tear out of the old, and also means you don't have to install a new underlayment or thinset, which again is also a cost & time saver. It is real porcelain tile, and look beautiful when installed. They have some colors in 12x12 and others in 18x18 available. Will increase floor height, but a transition strip will solve that problem just fine. Good Luck! -Katie Hurst, CKBR, UDCP
  • gypsyrose17
    11 years ago
    you could do carpet tiles...or perhaps just a natural color woven hemp room size area rug....your zebra skin rug could lie on top of it to add depth and more texture.
  • PRO
    ct design studio
    11 years ago
    While it may not be your first choice, it could be the background to bright airy contemporary spaces with scandanavian inspired furniture, warm whites, blonde or dark woods. Instead of accenting with teal and hot pink, use rusty orange and aubergine.
    Kitchen + Dining + Staircase · More Info

Wapping E1W: City Pied à Terre · More Info

I never recommend going over tile with anything and replacing would probably eat your whole budget. I believe you can still have great spaces and someday if you decide to do the floors you can.
  • jagood
    11 years ago
    Wow - empty and repainted it's looking very good! I personally like the tile, especially in a warm climate, and think you could have a fabulous space with the proper area rugs, etc, depending upon your esthetics.
  • nasmijati
    11 years ago
    Here are some ideas to look at the space in a whimsical way, even if it is only for one room in the house...

You could have the ceiling painted light sky blue, or even painted to look like the sky. Put several large ficus, palm, lemon, and Seville orange trees in the room. In the first photo, the pool is green, the sky is blue, and the "walls" are orange/yellow. With wicker furniture, this might work as a "Florida" room.

Another idea is to use an aqua area rug with a different color border. Again, houseplant trees and a sky blue ceiling will help. You have some fun, vibrant colors in your furniture, and in a few of your Ideabook photos. A Bohemian theme might work with your existing belongings.

The third photo is trompe loeil, just to pretend that you live in a great hall with dark green marble floors and this fancy ceiling.
  • nasmijati
    11 years ago
    Here are some ideas to look at the space in a whimsical way, even if it is only for one room in the house...

You could have the ceiling painted light sky blue, or even painted to look like the sky. Put several large ficus, palm, lemon, and Seville orange trees in the room. In the first photo, the pool is green, the sky is blue, and the "walls" are orange/yellow. With wicker furniture, this might work as a "Florida" room.

Another idea is to use an aqua area rug with a different color border. Again, houseplant trees and a sky blue ceiling will help. You have some fun, vibrant colors in your furniture, and in a few of your Ideabook photos. A Bohemian theme might work with your existing belongings.

The third photo is trompe loeil, just to pretend that you live in a great hall with dark green marble floors and this fancy ceiling.
  • patriciamaia
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Just had a consultation with a contractor to re tile. Demo work only to cost $10,000 and biz zillion particles of dust. Then the cost of tiling 2400 square feet, unknown. Thank you for voting, I will re decorate.
  • patriciamaia
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Just had a consultation with a contractor to re tile. Demo work only to cost $10,000 and biz zillion particles of dust. Then the cost of tiling 2400 square feet, unknown. Thank you for voting, I will re decorate.
  • arlys baker
    11 years ago
    These days they can spray tiles. You could go totally different with just a spray and not as big as cost as a floating timber floor. We had our tiles taken from 1970's brown to off white and they look great. Ring a tiler or check with a building company. They spray it on. Good Luck and Happy New Year!
  • patriciamaia
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you Arlys for another decorating idea. We hired the decorator and the transformation is happening. First with new paint, Sherwin Williams, Kalim Beige in an eggshell finish. Perfect color choice, the green floors are no longer the focal point, amazing! We have met with a lighting engineer as well because my ceilings soar to sixteen feet. I will post some pictures. Happy New Year.
  • patriciamaia
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The re decorating process...
  • patriciamaia
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Re decorated, almost done.
  • patriciamaia
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    360 degrees, almost done.
  • tennisanyone
    11 years ago
    So glad you did not rip up the tiles. The space looks great. Love the wall color and rug. As Houzzers , we give endless opinions, and sometimes we never hear or see what happens next. Thanks for sharing the end result.
  • User
    11 years ago
    Agree...........very nice to see what you decided to do in the end :)
  • patriciamaia
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Foyer lighting, coming soon.
  • lorablanco
    11 years ago
    Fgrgfhffdcss-11287
  • pud07
    11 years ago
    I love the floor. Is classy and keeps you from being another cookie cutter predictable home. Change your wall colors and furniture to compliment you floor and I'll bet you get many oohs and ahas from future guests :-) my vote.....keep the floor!
  • penelopesdreamydesigns
    11 years ago
    Looking good, thanks for the update, a tall green plant or two would look fabulous too!
  • patriciamaia
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The green tile floors and the new decor. Fini...
  • tennisanyone
    11 years ago
    Nice job. Just move the couch on the rug. It
    Is nice to see the pictures. I love that art piece
    Behind the couch.
  • Aja Mazin
    11 years ago
    WOW!
  • PRO
    JWinteriors
    11 years ago
    Foyer rug should be larger to create a grand entry...I would also add an entry table, still allowing for the door to swing open. Most homeowners open one door only and keep the other locked down. If this is the case..play up the opposite side with table, lamp, art, and accessories. Welcome your friends into your home and wow them with their first glance! The picture behind the couch seems to be hung a little high on the wall. Could be an illusion.
  • patriciamaia
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Still decorating. Needed color, added pink media chairs to Man cave.
  • patriciamaia
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Lanai is an extension of living room. New decor.
  • perreaul
    10 years ago
    Terrific changes. What colour are your walls in this photo?
    JMP
  • patriciamaia
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Outdoors, Sherwin Williams Practical Biege. Indoors, SW Kilim Biege.
  • Aja Mazin
    10 years ago
    Did you keep the multi coloured rug?
  • agochic
    10 years ago
    We just had our floors done, with wood look tile, so we can keep the cool factor but have te look of wood. It looks fantastic and is Low maintenance
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Wood is always good ideal. Not sure of tiles though. Try painting. Add area rug. I like your style. By the way wood is still cool to the feet.
  • patriciamaia
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Main living area with multi colored rug.
  • patriciamaia
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Master bedroom re decorated. Found sheep skin rugs at a consignment shop in Tampa area.
  • patriciamaia
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Master Bedroom.
  • Aja Mazin
    10 years ago
    ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!
  • patriciamaia
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thx. Been in the house for a year now, just, just starting to feel that it is ours with new decor. Big thank you s to our decorator, Becky Cormier at Scan Design in Tampa and Matt Goodband at Complete Lighting in Tampa. And to us for taking our time.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Aja - looking for your chalk paint recipe and hoping to catch you somewhere.
  • patriciamaia
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    We sold the house. Purchased in 2012 for $355,500 and sold it on Monday for $389,000. No more green tile.