Need help with paint colors
lizdavispa
December 9, 2012 in Design Dilemma
I would like to repaint my walls to compliment my light hardwood floors...not sure if I should go light or dark
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
minimumjoe
You don't seem to have an abundance of light coming in. I'd go lighter and, if you want a dark wall as an accent, go for it. From the pictures, my choice would be a dove gray.
December 9, 2012 at 6:04pm   
PRO
City Girls Decor
I'd do light too. How about choosing your favorite color?
December 9, 2012 at 6:14pm   
decoenthusiaste
Lighter for the light challenged areas. You might go darker at the stairwell/foyer where the three doors let in light. Depends on the direction they face.
December 9, 2012 at 6:19pm   
lizdavispa
Thank-you for your comments, I love the idea of dove gray and perhaps a darker gray shade for the doors as decoenthusiaste suggests (the doors have a western exposure). Most colors turn pink in this space and using a true gray would eliminate that possibility.
December 9, 2012 at 6:28pm   
wenpan
I like the interior wall color at the attached photo, what color is it?
December 9, 2012 at 6:35pm   
olldroo
It is very hard to be specific about colours without knowing the aspect of your rooms, the amount of light they receive and an idea of your location/climate, to know if you your rooms need a warm or a cool colour.

I love your rooms as they are, they look very clean and fresh, but possibly a little austere. If you want a change, I think a little colour would look good. Is your dining area a separate room or part of the lounge area. I'm looking at your gorgeous rug and thinking I would like to see you pick up a soft shade of that green in it or is there a pinky/peach colour in that border that would complement the timber in your furniture. Your lounge looks grey in the photo so that colour would lift it too. Sorry I can't be specific with colours as I don't have your brands of paint and they just don't reproduce on computer.

Personally, I would like to see a rug in your lounge area, and I think some curtains would soften your rooms also. So glad to see some indoor plants, I am very much a plant person myself, and love to see them used.
December 9, 2012 at 6:35pm   
lizdavispa
Thank-you olldroo, the rug color you mention is a golden tone and the living room (lounge?) and dining room flank the foyer. My home is in Pennsylvania USA and our climate ranges from 90 degrees to 30 degrees, I do like the idea of a soft green in the dining room. I agree, the rooms are austere...I'm quite a minimalist and hate to dust!!
December 9, 2012 at 6:58pm   
wenpan
I find this photos online and I really like the wall color, I will choose the valspar paint, anyone has idea what color is it. I like this interior wall color and I'd like to paint my house with the same color
December 9, 2012 at 7:10pm   
tennisanyone
I know you didn't ask but I would find a big area rug for your living room and curtains first and then pull a color out for paint. Everything is so neutral that you need a pop of color.
December 9, 2012 at 7:11pm     
olldroo
OK, you are a bit colder than us but if your area faces west then green would be a good shade for you. Forget the golden tone that would look too hot. I have a west facing lounge room and have become quite expert at colours that make or break a west facing room and the afternoon sun. Minimalism is fine, (who does like to dust???) but I just feel your rooms need a little softening and curtains and an area rug in the lounge area would make the rooms more inviting.
December 9, 2012 at 8:24pm   
lizdavispa
Thank-you again olldroo, I will go with a light shade of green for the dining room.
December 10, 2012 at 9:47am