OLLD 12/10
December 10, 2012 in Other
Good morning, everyone! Sorry I didn't start 12/9 yesterday, I was just really busy and today I'm paying the price. Last night I was over-tired and fell asleep at 8:30 and had nightmares all night so I decided to just get up (at 1:30!) this morning and end the agony. Darn zombies, anyway.

Thanks to judyg for starting the thread! I think she or olldroo should start it everyday because they're up before everyone anyway.

And here's two pics of the truest 49er's fan:
Rocky is a champ! But so sorry about your bad night.
December 10, 2012 at 4:22AM   
Thanks! He's a 49er fan, all the way. Thanks, darn those zombies anyway. I was just waaaay too tired.

What have you been up to? Besides grading papers, that is ! Are you getting ready for your trip?
December 10, 2012 at 4:43AM   
Sadly, there is nothing happening in my life except grading and meetings for the next 10 days. Then I scramble frantically to figure out Christmas presents and get ready to go to in-laws.
December 10, 2012 at 4:59AM   
Ah. yes, meetings. Most people I worked with complained about them but I kind of liked tham, they break up the day. I forget - where do your in-laws live?
December 10, 2012 at 5:11AM   
In Canada, so it's a bit of a drive.
December 10, 2012 at 5:20AM   
Oh, wow, I didn't realize they weren't in the States. Well, be very careful! I saw on this morning's news there's a giant snowstorm somewhere but I didn't catch where. I only know it's not here! Drat.

Oh! And guess what? The fog? Apparently it decided to pick on us only, no fog on the Altamont nor in the Bay Area. Too weird!
December 10, 2012 at 5:24AM   
michigammemom
The giant snowstorm hit my daughter's area in MN with 8-12 inches and it is headed my way. I'm running on empty this morning too because I stayed up to watch the Packers vs Lions game. I wonder how Rocky would look in green and gold? Even though we live in Michigan, folks around here generally root for the Packers because Green Bay is closer.
December 10, 2012 at 5:36AM   
MM, Oh, I'm sorry, Rocky's coloring would not support a green and gold theme. Maybe I could paint him the new Emerald color? hehehehe I never understood why they would have Sunday/Monday/Thursday night games in the eastern time zones! Crazy! But at least your Packers won. Another zonk for Detroit, I feel sorry for that poor city.

Today I ache from head to toe. I used to hate staying home on the weekend but now that I'm olld I really enjoy doing as little as possible on Sunday's. I'm looking forward to doing nothing over the holidays. We're going to buy a few movies tomorrow night, and watch them all day Christmas day. I hope it rains!!! So tired today!
December 10, 2012 at 5:46AM   
michigammemom
Olldbobbi, if you want to watch a movie sure to get you in the Christmas spirit, please pick up Elf with Will Farrell. We faithfully watch it every Thanksgiving and although I've seen it dozens of times it still cracks me up. My kids practically have the dialogue memorized.
December 10, 2012 at 6:02AM     
michigammemom
Just came across this photo and wanted to share. This Christmas tree is luscious!
December 10, 2012 at 6:21AM   
MM. thanks! I'll check Elf out. We faithfully watch A Christmas Story and Chevy Chase's Christmas Vacaiton. I'd like to see Miracle on 34th (?) St., I've never seen it.

Hmmm....nice Christmas tree. Green and gold????
December 10, 2012 at 6:38AM   
We love the BBC video of Dylan Thomas's "A Child's Christmas in Wales" with Denholm Elliot. I also love listening to David Sedaris read his brilliant and hilarious account of working at Macy's as a Christmas elf. And for classic Christmas movies, "It's a Wonderful LIfe" is still one of my favorites.
December 10, 2012 at 7:00AM   
feeny, I like "It's a Wonderful Life" too! But not R's favorite. And I still like all the cartoons, like Frosty and The Grinch and the one with the island of misfit toys, don't know the name of that one. Especially the Charlie Brown Christmas and the Claymation Christmas, I have those on DVD.

Yesterday I bought a beautiful fluffy white comforter, I've been wanting one for so long, and it's too small. Dangit! I guess I'll return it and try for a bigger size but I don't remember seeing one.

I seriously think I'm going to die today. I'm soooo tired and I have so much to do (it's Monday!) and my friend is coming this afternoon, self-invited. I feel so bad for her. She's the sole support of her and her hubby and she only works two days/week! I don't know how she keeps from killing him, I swear. But she is the happiest person I've ever known, how does she do it???
December 10, 2012 at 7:27AM   
nasmijati
@olldbobbi, if you get "Miracle on 34th Street," be sure to get the original old one. It is much better than the re-make. I like it even better than "It's a Wonderful Life." "Elf" is a cute movie - mix Will Ferrel with Bob Newhart, and you get some good comedy!
December 10, 2012 at 7:28AM   
nasmijati
@olldbobbi. You are describing exhaustion. Drink sips of water to keep yourself hydrated. Turn off Houzz for now. Darken the bedroom and go back to bed and rest. It is ok if you can't sleep. Just get in there and rest until lunchtime. I do not want you to become ill. You will not want to visit with your friend this afternoon if you are so tired. OLLD will still be here when you are rested.
December 10, 2012 at 7:35AM     
nasmijati
@olldcan. I am pleased for you that your hostess gift turned out well. You also put delicious treats on it.
December 10, 2012 at 7:54AM   
Thanks eztia! I'll be ok and I'm drinking no small amount of coffee in order to stay awake. In a few hours I plan to lay down and hopefull sleep zombie free. hehehe

Love Bob Newhart! And I loved his tv show, too, the one with Mr. Carlin? And Carol the receptionist? Classic, nothing like the silly comedies today. Do you remember the show called Murphy Brown with Candace Bergen? Or L.A. Law or Lou Grant? Or, my ALL TIME FAVORITE - WKRP in Cincinatti !!! It doesn't get better than WKRP.
December 10, 2012 at 7:55AM   
nasmijati
@olldbobbi. How can you drink coffee now and plan to sleep afterward? Caffeine makes me jittery.
December 10, 2012 at 8:07AM     
eztia, the coffee isn't making me jittery, I think it's keeping me upright !!!
December 10, 2012 at 8:09AM   
nasmijati
@olldbobbi. Yes, the Bob Newhart show was a good one. I thought the actress Suzanne Pleshette (sp?) who played his wife was an attractive woman.
December 10, 2012 at 8:14AM     
mpoulsom
morning my ladies!
bob, sorry you were having nightmares....when i first started reading that you went to bed at 8:30, I was so proud...then kept reading. you poor thing. i wish you could sleep in my shoes, so to speak. i am one of these people that when i lay my head down, it's all over. sleep like a rock.
And I TOTALLY passed out on the couch saturday night when boo mappin was there. holy moly...that child wore me OUT! We had a blast though. She loved the gingerbread house....but then we also made one inside. We were sitting at the bar making this house and boo mappin....says, under her breath, "I love being at GG's house." Very seriously and like she was talking to herself. I said, "What did you say honey?" and she repeated it. But never looked at me and was seriously decorating the house. It was very sweet. The trouble started when I brought out a bag of chocolate chips...hahaha! We didn't have enough icing to decorate the roof and I didn't want to make more, so I decided she could put choc chips on the roof. One in her mouth and one on the house, two in her mouth and one on the house....I'll show you guys pics of it later. very cute and she did very well for a 3 year old.
She was soooo sugared up that she would not settle down. Started dancing in the living room at 11pm and trying to do gymnastics to the christmas music. Then started torturing poor Fooey by dancing with him! Of course my stupid batteries in my camera died and we didn't have any others that were strong enough to take a pic. I was so mad. Got scolded by her mother yesterday for letting her stay up til wee hours in the morn. oh well. oops.
We met my daughter at a town in between us yesterday that just happened to be having a christmas parade at 3pm. So it worked out great. Very cute redneck parade. I'll show you pics later.
I love ELF! I love Will Ferrell though. I just look at him and laugh. Miracle on 34th street is great too. I love the Grinch with Jim Carey. No one could have done that part the way he did. He was perfecto! When that movie came out, I actually went to the theatre twice to see it. I went with someone else a second time with a friend because I said you HAVE to see it. I'll go with. The art direction in that movie is incredible. J and I still use the a line from that movie all year long. The grinch saying, "Am I eating because I'm bored?" And of course, because I am an artist, I notice all the details in movies like that. Blows my mind, and I appreciate the art and sets.
December 10, 2012 at 8:55AM   
michigammemom
MP, One of my favorite quotes: "Today's experiences are tomorrow's memories." You are creating such beautiful childhood memories for Boo Mappin. What a wonderful GG you are!
December 10, 2012 at 9:30AM   
nasmijati
Trivia...the man who sang the Mr. Grinch song with such a good baritone voice is the same man who said, "They're Grrreat!" about Kellogg's Frosted Flakes.
December 10, 2012 at 10:41AM   
Hah! Great piece of baby boomer nostalgia trivia, eztia!
December 10, 2012 at 11:13AM   
@mpaulsom
This room was just on the Home page slide show and the paneled walls reminded me at once of your jenga fireplace:

December 10, 2012 at 11:18AM   
mpoulsom
Thank you michi....I hope so. :)
Eztia, I had no idea!
December 10, 2012 at 11:22AM   
mpoulsom
It's very pretty feeny! Do you think more people don't incorporate wooden walls, that are decorative, in their decor is because of expense? or because of attaching accessories to the walls in fear of marring them?
December 10, 2012 at 11:26AM   
creeser
Good afternoon ladies! MP, don't you love what comes out of that grandbaby mouth? My Boo isn't talking yet...not where you can understand her clearly... she's just saying a few words. But when I look at her and smile and tell her I sure love her loads, she smiles and leans in to give me a kiss. That just melts me.
Bobbi, I have zombies and floods and things that go bump in the night every time I fall asleep.
December 10, 2012 at 11:36AM   
michigammemom
Another motivation for Doomsday Preppers....zombie invasion!
December 10, 2012 at 12:05PM   
Zombie invasion! Ok, let's not go there :)) Mendi, boo mappin sounds adorable and she bakes the way I bake - two for the mouth, one for the plate. Creeser and Mendi, you both have Boo's!!! Is that from the movie Monster's Inc? I think the little girl was named Boo, no?

Jenga walls! That's too much. And a whole lot of wood, too much for me. The floors in that pic are beautiful, can you imagine trying to keep them clean and dust free? Now THAT''S a nightmare!
December 10, 2012 at 12:38PM   
creeser
MM... ever watch that show? I saw it a couple of times because I like the idea of being self-sufficient and thought there might be ideas. Those people scared me more than a zombie invasion!
bobbi, I don't know where I picked that up from. Started calling my kids Boo when they were teens as they did not care for being called 'sweetie' or 'sugar' in front of their friends. Then it transferred to the pets.. Boo Kitty ... which was such an appropriate nickname for a black cat... Boo Doggie, just to change things up from his real name. I guess it was just a natural progression to have a baby boo.*L*
December 10, 2012 at 12:49PM   
Doomsday Preppers, I haven't seen it, but isn't that what the Mormon's do, or used to do? I had a friend in the 70's, she was Mormon and every available square inch of space was neatly prepped to hold dry and canned goods.

creeser, your kids didn't like being called sweetie or sugar, I think that's funny. My son, Brian the Terrible, hated when I dropped him off at high school and said "kiss, kiss, Bri!". It was my sweet revenge.
December 10, 2012 at 12:51PM   
mpoulsom
I love anything that comes out of that child's mouth! Boo Mappin got her name from me not because of any movie. Her first pre-halloween week, I went to my daughter's and she had her dressed in black leggings and a white t-shirt with black lettering that said "boo" on it. Think she had an orange pumpkin knitted hat as well. I looked at her and said Boo Mappin. Been calling her that ever since. It just fit for some reason. I got her a basketball get-up a year or so ago. Hysterical and adorable. Real basketball shorts (boys) came almost to her ankles though. Smallest ones I could find. Found a tiny basketball tank jersey and ironed on letters on the back of that, that said "Shorty Mappin". Liked that too, but Boo will always be it I think. I just couldn't call her Carter when she was a baby for some reason. Every now and then I'll call her by her actual name. I also call her Angel...of course.
Bad thing is that I felt like she had grown 6 inches since I saw her last...
December 10, 2012 at 1:10PM   
creeser
bobbi, when our daughter was around 12, we had strict instructions when dropping her off at school. No this, no that.. basically, stop the car long enough for her to tuck and roll and pretend not to know us. Well, hubby and his old partner were working on the church next door to the school. Hubby told partner how daughter was 'totally embarrassed' by us, so when they were out on scaffolding on the back of the church and girl child and friends were out on campus for lunch, they started yelling at her and calling her by name and "I love you!!!" Boy did I get an earful of hateful tween when I picked her up from school. Personally, I wish I had thought of it.
MP, gosh I know what you mean. I try to see Boo Baby at least once a week and even then, she's grown so much. Doesn't it just twist your heart to see how fast they grow?
December 10, 2012 at 1:26PM   
michigammemom
I watched Doomsday Preppers for the first time last week. Those folks are serious! They have food and staples stockpiled to last them a couple of years. I love nicknames. My Dad used to call me "Princess K of the Milky Way"....don't ask me why.:)
December 10, 2012 at 1:58PM   
creeser
MM, I'm southern so nicknames rule. Hubby is one of these oddities where he has no nickname and his name has never been shortened. My Dad is 85 and still calls me Sweets. Love the Princess K of the Milky Way!
December 10, 2012 at 2:05PM   
olldroo
Morning all. Slightly warmer today, at least enough to get out of winter clothes

Bobbi, bobbi, bobbi, you just have to do something about your sleep. Especially with it being winter over here, your resistance will zero way down and you will end up sick. When you say the zombies, I assume you mean bad dreams, know about them well, I think I have survived more disasters than even the Doomsday Preppers could think up and each time I have my two youngest grandbubs with me. I literally wake up shaking. Fortunately, since my doctor gave me some sleeping tabs and I had a couple of doses of them my sleeping pattern returned and the dreams have gone.

So bobbi, No. 1 rule - get off that coffee, you aren't doing yourself any favours. Forcing yourself to stay awake today means you probably will drop of early again tonight and wake up early and it just goes on and on. Get yourself some cammomile tea, do not drink coffee after 4pm, have a cup of tea after dinner if you need something but then have a cup 1/2 hour before you go to bed. It really will relax you. It might take a week or two to thoroughly kick in but persevere with it and see how you go.

Rats, just had the electrician arrive unexpectedly. Want him to put my new lights up. I knew I had some assembly to do with them but just took them out of the box and there must be 197 pieces to assemble - 3 pages of instructions!!!! This is going to do my head in and I am just not in the frame of mind for it.

Talk later.
December 10, 2012 at 2:12PM   
creeser, I LOVE your daughter at school story! We just have to get back a little bit at a time, just enough to let them know we care and we RULE. Brian the Terrible was just that, terrible. Super hyper active, I used to think it was a great accomplishment to get the bowl out before he poured the cereal.

roo, I know you mean well, but most days I drink decaf coffee and tea. Only when the day is like today do I drink regular coffee. And I really did dream about zombies attacking me, woke up, back to sleep and picked up the dream where I left off! Something wrong with that. Did your lights say "Some Assembly Required"? That always cracks me up!
December 10, 2012 at 2:23PM   
mpoulsom
Zombies
Zombies in general may symbolize the dreamer or aspects of the dreamer.

Are you detached from your life? Is your mind connected to your work or daily activities? Are you just going through the motions? Are you in control of your life or have you found you are starting to resemble a machine rather than a human?

Zombies are not attached to their thoughts and feelings. Does this concept relate to your current state of being? Do you actually feel dead inside?

See all 3 photos
Does your zombie dream mean that something you buried in your unconscious is coming back to life?
Source: Victor HabbickThe Living Dead
The concept of the living dead has been around for centuries. What happens to us after death is part of a larger unknown. What is unknown tends to be a source of fear for people. Fears tend to enter our dreams and live in our subconscious.

When dreaming of zombies it may be beneficial to consider them as the living dead. Are you feeling like you are the living dead? Are you exhausted? Do you feel depleted and are just going through the motions in life?

The concept of the living dead may allow us to understand that although we may fear the end of something (such as our lives) we may also have more fear about something not ending when it is supposed to (such as the dead rising). This may mean the dreamer is attempting to kill of something internally prematurely. Perhaps the undead symbolize an past unresolved issue or feeling that the dreamer is attempting to avoid and kill off instead of confronting. It is amazing how robust these unresolved issues can be. They will haunt us until we finally face them once and for all. In the other hand, this dream may have a positive effect on the dreamer and help them realize that something needs to be put to rest once and for all.

Zombie Attacks
Zombie attacks are common in pop culture. Dreaming of one may relate to fears, anxiety and overwhelming stress. Do you feel threatened or attacked in your waking life? What is challenging you? What negative feeling or influence do you feel is challenging you and may win?

Since most concepts of zombies relate to zombies being infected by something, this can relate to being influenced or damaged by something internally. Are you fearing you will lose control of a situation or yourself? Do you feel others threaten to control your life or take away your personal power?

See all 3 photos
Dreaming of a zombie mob held back by fences/barriers may relate to the dreamer's defenses. Are you trying to contain what the zombies are symbolizing instead of confronting it?
Source: Abode of ChaosA Mob of Zombies
A mob of zombies can relate to powerful feelings of stress and overwhelm. Perhaps this relates to a situation that was ignored and has now gotten out of hand. This can relate to a situation in your waking life or a battle you are experiencing internally.

Mobs can often relate to all of the little stressors, fears, and irritants that collectively are becoming overwhelming and overpowering for you.

Dreams like this may indicate to the dreamer that they need a break and also need to sit with themselves and allow themselves to confront uncomfortable and unpleasant feelings and situations in order to allow themselves to resolve what is holding them back from moving forward.
December 10, 2012 at 2:39PM     
mpoulsom
Bob, you are just stressed out about something I think.... ? and it's probably lack of SLEEP, lady!
December 10, 2012 at 2:44PM   
Good grief, Mendi, you really did some research !!! Thanks, I think. No, not really to any of that, I just got way over tired. Tried to do too much living in two days. I am a highly stressful person, heriditary, my dad was the same way. It's just a fact of life with me. But I'm ok, it was just a bad dream and I rarely have nightmares so it's just one of those things.

I'm going to see my doctor in January, I'm hoping she can give me something so I can sleep more than 3-4 hours/night. Please, no worries! Really!
December 10, 2012 at 2:46PM   
mpoulsom
2 horror stories about my daughter in high school..
.I used to have an "ART CAR"! Of course she was horrified if I had to pick her up. It was a collage of all kinds of art and portraits of musicians and music lyrics and quotes (poetry, science, morals, etc.) ...Nothing political, religious, or race oriented though. I didn't want my car to offend anyone, even if it was supposed to be in humor. Cartoon characters and Comic Heros were on there as well. I think the only time she smiled about it was when we would walk out of a restaurant or something and people would be standing around it, loving it, reading it, taking notes even. And on a roadtrip...the kids LOVED it! waving at us and pointing and smiling. They were so shocked to see it on the freeway.
Another was when one of my friends gave her a ride to school one morning. In a convertible bmw with the top down and he pulls up to the front steps blaring the horn. and then continuing to blow the horn the whole time she is walking up the steps to the front door! :)
December 10, 2012 at 3:01PM     
Ahhh, great memories of kid torture!
December 10, 2012 at 3:10PM     
creeser
MP, remind me to tell you later about the pig truck we used to threaten to take to school to pick up kiddo..
December 10, 2012 at 3:10PM     
Wow, thanks feeny, interesting idea! I think some people are just short sleepers, I know Martha Stewart is one. Maybe we are just so excited about life that we can't wait to get out of bed!

For me, it's night sweats. They wake me up and there's just no going back to sleep. Hot flashes for 12 years should be enough, don't you think? When I wake up I have this mantra "don't think, don't think, just go back to sleep", but it doesn't work.

It's funny, I almost never watch tv. Football, yes of course, and Criminal Minds and a few other shows, but never during the day. I don't like the talk shows or the game shows so I record every episode of Criminal Minds and I watch them over and over. And over..... I also like this show called The First 48, that's pretty good.
December 10, 2012 at 3:19PM   
Question: What does everyone think of this shade of green? http://www.houzz.com/discussions/268594/Need-help-with-decorating-my-living-room
December 10, 2012 at 3:42PM   
Rio Brewster
My hub used to watch the First 48 a lot. We watch Greys, Elementary, Castle, Fringe and Person of Interest. But most of those revolve around people either getting killed or in danger of being killed. It's kind of depressing, but other than Big Bang Theory, New Girl and Modern Family there's not too much good comedy out there.

Anyone else watch "The Chew" I should hate that show since it replaced All My Children, but I have to admit it's pretty entertaining.
December 10, 2012 at 3:43PM   
Rio Brewster
OH - and your pup is so cute! He looks like he might be a mischievous one. He has that same sparkle in his eye that Brewster does.
December 10, 2012 at 3:45PM     
The Chew - is that the one with the gal that played Darlene on Roseanne? I've caught bits and pieces of it waiting for the news to come on.

I stand by my 80's shows - L.A. Law, Lou Grant Show, Hill Street Blues. They look pretty corny now but they were great then!
December 10, 2012 at 3:46PM   
Thanks, but he is the laziest, sleepiest dog I've ever known. No wonder I never sleep, he takes it all!
December 10, 2012 at 3:47PM   
michigammemom
MP, Wherever did you find the zombie psychoanalysis? It seems zombies are in vogue these days with popular shows on premium television and tongue in cheek books on how to survive zombie attacks. Olldbobbi, I rarely have insomnia issues and I think my husband could easily sleep twelve hours a day, but when I do have sleep disturbances I get out of bed (no use tossing and turning) and I exercise my brain with a good word puzzle or sudoku. The mental exertion puts me right back to sleep. In the meantime I hope this doesn't creep you out.
December 10, 2012 at 3:49PM     
No, it doesn't creep me out, hehehe. I'm ok, everyone, please don't worry about me! But I love you all for it, I really do.
December 10, 2012 at 3:56PM   
mpoulsom
Just looked up dream interpretations.....lol...they actually had zombies, but if they hadn't i was going to just look up monsters.
Bob, I like that green color....could I live with it in my house, not sure???? Maybe a laundry room or something?
creesy..pig truck! I can only imagine! :)

Bob, have a good night! hopefully you'll get SOME sleep!
til tomorrow gals!

mendi
December 10, 2012 at 4:03PM     
Rio Brewster
Just venting but...

Never again will I post photos anywhere but here! Sheesh. It's not like I was asking for a critique of my color choices. I wish they would let me take the pics down.
December 10, 2012 at 4:10PM   
Rio Brewster
No the Chew is a panel cooking show. Carla Hall from Top Chef, Clinton Kelly from What Not to Wear, Daphne Oz, Mario Batali and Michael Symon from Iron Chef America.

They just look like they are having a ball!
December 10, 2012 at 4:17PM   
Rio - what photo? I'm not following you. And cooking shows? Oh yes! I could watch them for houirs at a time and never be inspired. hehehe I do like Clinton Kelly, tho.
December 10, 2012 at 4:21PM   
Did anyone see the news story tonight about the woman who was very angry behind the wheel and hit and killed a 3-year old boy at a market last October? Well, she got sentenced to 22 years to life today, and hasn't even acknowledged her fault yet. She even blamed the 3-year old for being at the market that day.
Seriously? Good Lord.
December 10, 2012 at 4:44PM   
michigammemom
As we've already established, I am not a particularly good cook, but I do love cooking shows. I particularly like the laid-back, homey approach of the Barefoot Contessa and Nigella Lawson...food simply prepared and presented; not overly fussy. For pure entertainment purposes I occasionally tune into Nadia's Bitchin Kitchen on the Food Channel. The hostess is a cross between biker babe and tattoo parlor dominatrix. Poor Julia Childs would roll over in her grave.
December 10, 2012 at 5:57PM   
Hi, all, can you check this post out? Really bad remarks against Carolyn http://www.houzz.com/discussions/268410/Kitchen
December 10, 2012 at 7:06PM   
olldroo
Bobbi, sorry if I sounded like I was over reacting before, I have had so many problems myself that I do tend to come on strong to others because I worry they will get as bad as I was and I would hate for that to happen to anyone. I'm glad to hear you only drink decaf, I changed to that years ago myself and I do know what you mean about a dream waking you and then you pick it up when you get back to sleep. I have had that happen 4 or 5 times in one night. At one stage I even had them go over 2 nights. Hot flushes were one thing I strangely avoided. My DD's ex mother in law got them so bad she shaved all her hair off because she couldn't stand waking up with it all wet.

Yes, the lights did say "some" assembly, but I could tell from the box that it was nowhere near the size of the assembled light, I just didn't expect so many pieces. There are 92 pieces just for the flowers alone on each light. Luckily it was a very simple construction, the instructions were excellent, written, diagrams and colour photos - actually made sense, no quaint Chinese English. Some of the base pieces were a bit hard to click together at first but once past that it was really easy. Fortunately the electrician was able to put up just the framework so I can sit and make flowers and add them as I go.

Love all the chat about the old movies and shows. Bob Newhart was a great comedian and Suzanne P was gorgeous. I was interested to hear about Elf, never seen it but I pass on a lot of supposed comedies as I find so many aren't and too many have too much language for my liking. I do have the first series of Murphy Brown, I loved Candice Bergen. There was an airline movie she was great in, can't think of the name with Gwennyth Paltrow. I also have the whole series of Just Shoot Me. I loved Laura San Giacomo in Pretty Woman and David Spade cracks me up all the time. Another series I really enjoy is Will and Grace. I could watch Sean Hayes forever. When BH went to LA, DD took him to New York for a weekend and they took in a Broadway Show that just happened to star Sean, I was soooo jealous.

Love Rocky in his 49er outfit, too cute. Had to work out if that was baseball or football and then spotted the NFL badge. Michi, I'll stick with your team - green and yellow is perfect for an Aussie.
December 10, 2012 at 7:14PM   
olldroo
re Carolyn - Yikes, that was the rudest I have ever seen.

Wish I could get a new kitchen after 6 years.
December 10, 2012 at 7:28PM   
nasmijati
@olldbobbi. I do not like the color of green in the photo you asked about. Too much of a yellow-green for me. It reminds me of pond algae or the Grinch. (It is similar in color to my broken toes. The whole top of my foot is a bruised green "Shrek" foot.)

@olldroo. I put the plastic runner with little teeth in the hallway today. I tend to shuffle my feet as a consequence of the arthritis in my hip. The runner does tend to ripple after a few hours. The kitty is having fun realizing she can run and slide on it! I will keep an eye on the condition of the carpet, as you suggested. Thank you.
December 10, 2012 at 7:53PM   
olldroo
Oh Eztia I will never be able to look at that green again - pond algae!!!!
It didn't look too bad with everything else but when you have lived through the 70s those colours are just not going to happen again.

Now you mention it my runner was always twisting sideways too, probably why it rubbed so much. It was generally caused by DDs last minute dashes to the loo as kids do. The cat!!! One of mine had to jump with all claws extended on anything that was placed on the floor.

Glad to be of help.
December 10, 2012 at 9:18PM   
roo, I didn't think you were over reacting, I thought you were being a good friend !!! And thank you for that. I will go see the doc next month when everything settles back to normal again.

Glad I'm not the only one who wouldn't choose that shade of green! It was certainly vibrant !!!

eztia, did you see a doctor about your toes? I think you should, that shade of green def doesn't belong on toes.
December 11, 2012 at 1:41AM   
olldroo
That is good Bobbi, I misread you. Hope doc can help you get really good sleeps. There are some natural products on the market for hot flushes and other menopause side effects. Some work on some people some don't, but they are all natural so check with your doc to make sure there is nothing likely to clash with any other meds or problems you have. Can't recommend anything as I was really lucky and breezed through it.

Problem with toes and fingers, if they are broken, nothing can really be done for them.

What a day, have spent most of it putting these damned lights together. The flowers are in 3 pieces but now I have finished all I can, I have different amounts of each piece. Keeping each light separage but they both seem to have a problem. Just have to attach them all to the light frame to see the end result. I'll scream if they are short, I'm not returning them, they can open another box and make up the missing parts.

As if that wasn't enough, the tiler was short 3 tiles for my bathroom wall so have to get another box. Been on tenderhooks all day as there wasn't a box to be had in NSW but they finally tracked down the only box left in Oz in another State. Should get them sometime next week. At least they won't stop everything else being finished.
December 11, 2012 at 3:12AM   
Rio Brewster
pond scum - heh heh.

Bobbi, I was talking about the pics I posted on the 12 Palettes thread. One person said when I tired of my palette I could get better results with pastels. NOT. and that I had chosen my colors without considering the exposures of my house and therefore everything was cave like. Which is funny because I have a chart of exposure/color families that I use all the time when starting to pick paint colors - and my house is anything but cave-like. Carnivale? yes. Cave? no.

The second person complained that my room had no cohesion and the two colors were fighting one another. Well excuse me for not throwing away all my furniture and buying new when I downsized!

Sheesh! I didn't ask for advice or critiques. That's why I changed the name on my account - because I didn't want to be judged as a professional designer (which I am not currently) from what I do in my own house.

Roo - I feel your pain on the tile. Same thing happened to me. We called the store in San Antonio on a Friday and they said "Yes we have 50sf." I needed three and I asked if they could put it aside and I would drive from Austin the next morning. "No we don't do that - you have to go to the web site." Fine. I go to the web site, order the tile, pay for it and get an order confirmation.

Get up early Saturday, drive to the store. ~90 minutes later - not only do they not have my order, they have 2 raggedy sample pieces and that's it. Luckily we were able to piece together enough from those two peces and scraps (it was a mosaic). But oh was I mad!
December 11, 2012 at 5:07AM   
Rio - Oh, right, your beige color pallete! I remember now, sorry. Well, apparently this Houzzer named tallyhill has been tearing up the webwaves with his/her caustic remarks, I hope they didn't appear on your beige post. Oh, wait, you're allergic to beige!!! hehehehe

I think in this horrible economy, customer service has gone to hell in a hand basket, don't you?
December 11, 2012 at 5:20AM   
nasmijati
@olldbobbi. Re: toes. The treatment for broken toes is RICE. Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation. I have taped the two toes together, which is all a physician would do. My toes do feel better when they are taped. I keep my foot elevated above the level of my heart as much as possible. Now it will just take time.
December 11, 2012 at 11:29AM   
Rio Brewster
was that the rant at Carolyn? Somone removed it. No this was bygeorgi and frenchdecor. bygeorgi at least apologized.

I am curious what they decided for that backsplash.
December 11, 2012 at 12:09PM   
nasmijati
@rio. The discussion was reported to Houzz. An employee of Houzz removed all of the offensive material.
December 11, 2012 at 1:06PM   
eztia, I hope you are rice-ing, I know that's very important! I'm sorry that happened to you.
December 11, 2012 at 1:09PM   
olldroo
French decor is quite outspoken and her English is a bit stilted which makes her sound a bit more abrupt than I think she is, but generally she is very good and makes some good points. Surprises me she would be nasty.

Eztia - glad you are really looking after your foot. Hope it recovers soon. I always say it is lucky they only shoot horses - hee hee.
December 11, 2012 at 1:57PM   
Rio Brewster
Well I could tell she was trying to be diplomatic and helpful but it really irritated me to be critiqued in that forum when I didn't ask for feedback. AND her advice was telling me to do things thatI had already done. I don't think I will ever see eye to eye with someone who takes "French Decor" as their screen name. ;^)

The other person was more rude, but s/he apologized.
December 11, 2012 at 3:52PM     
size 12*10
size 12*10 for sofa set
OLLD 10/10
Good morning, everyone! What's happening today, anything...
OLLD 12/12
Good morning, on the luckiest day of the year !!! ...
Do you have this rug in 8 x 10, 9 x 12 and 10 x 14 ?
Do you have this rug in 8 x 10, 9 x 12 or 10 x 14
Close to pulling all my hair out. HELP PLEASE!
I'm not sure which countertop to go with between two...
Screened in porch
Me and my wife bought a starter home with the intention...
Need help in living room
We have a living room with light yellow walls, we dont...
Need Help with Kitchen Design
We are remodeling the kitchen & adjacent living room(eventually...
Mega problem!
Need advice on art for my fireplace wall. It is a...