Wall Color for family area?
tbergan
Bought new house that has a small family room near the bar in the kitchen. The kitchen has builders oak cabinets with some frosted glass but the countertops are a dark speckled gray (why oh why idk).Until I can save up to change the countertops or something, what wall color would you paint the the family room?

I attached a photo of the new couch set I purchased for this area. The kitchen photo has the previous owner's stuff (so disregard the awful red couch and green walls, yuk!)
calikym
I like the green that is already there. It will look nice with the couches you bought. Add a pillow with that same green mixed in (I saw many at crate and barrel!) and you might consider pulling a bright color into your kitchen.. Also, the countertops look nice and could easily accommodate any color you choose.
December 10, 2012 at 7:35AM     
nomadkath
what colors do you like.....are you shooting for a particular style, mood? do you like the color between the cabinets and the counter in the kitchen?
December 10, 2012 at 7:36AM   
Interiors International, Inc.
Color is so subjective it really depends on your taste and style. I like to look at my clients wardrobe. This tells me what the like and feel they look good wearing. It can tell you a lot when there is a dominant color in their clothing. So with that said, I feel you should keep it light. The furniture and kitchen are very dark. This is not a bad thing. I rather like the counter tops and the cabinets. I would prefer an apple green instead of the one you have. A pale yellow or even a grey based white would work. In the case of using the grey/white you will need a large and colorful painting to make everything really pop. T%he one that is there is far to small and the subject matter should be large also. That way it won't be so lost on the wall like the one in your picture. Be brave bring home a few that really move you until you find the right one. Have fun!
December 10, 2012 at 7:50AM     
tbergan
Thank you all. I was thinking more of a light sage green on the wall than the current color, which is more of a sour apple color. Or a butter color, but I don't know if that would bring out too much of the yellow in oak cabinets. I want to make the area warm and cozy, so probably some neutrals and nothing heavy. I wear alot of solid colors like black, white, red, purple, pink, bright blue etc. I do like that painting. I just want the entire area to be one color, I don't like the 2 different colors. On the other side of the kitchen is the eating area and that wall is salmon! I like an accent wall, but not 3 completely different colors.
December 10, 2012 at 8:09AM   
A. Peltier Interiors
That is too funny, I had almost an identical countertop in one of my homes! Here is what I found worked best with it. I too had grey furniture, and then I used and ocher or golden yellow for the accents. I used a light warm grey on the walls by Sherwin williams #7016 mindful grey. it even had a hint of olive in my home. But because you have the grey sofas, I would really focus on bringing in a little color with pillows, accents and art (or if you want to go monotone, then focus on LOTS of texture and pattern). You might even want to do a patterned wallpaper on that very back wall to add in more pattern. Good luck and I think once you start pulling everything together you wont mind the counters and cabinets so much until you get around to making changes.
December 10, 2012 at 8:15AM     
Kitchen cabinet update?removing center of cabinets
I want to remove the center of some of the wood cabinets...
Not quite sure if I can use it as a Dining Area or Family room???
Please help me I need to know what furniture should...
Need feedback on Proposed Plan remodel
Hi We are finalizing our plans for a remodel of...
Need help to match my dining table with the buffet furniture?
I found a perfect white dining table which i wiil match...