Kitchen lighting dilemma - Please help
Lynda
Hello. I am at the stage of building my house where the contractor is asking where I want my lights. I am having major anxiety on the decision for the kitchen.

The pictures below show the layout of my kitchen. The "island" has 8ft on the long side, 4 feet at its longest in front of the sink and and 4 ft to the right of the sink.
I was thinking I had 3 options:
1) Go with smaller pendant lights - 11" like the single light ones shown below. If I do this option, my question is how many on each section of the island?
2) Go with a bit larger pendant lights - 14" like the ones below with 3 lights. If so, how many and where?
3) Just go with recessed canned lights (which is what my husband says to do). If I do this, how far apart should they be, and do I follow the path of the island and curve the lights around?

Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated. I have to decide in the next 48 hours.. ugghhhh.
Thank you!
Over your island, I would like to see 4 pendant lights, with one directly centered over the sink and the other 3 positioned equally spaced with 2 on the bottom two sections and one on the upper section that angles to the right. Over your wall cabinets, I would use recessed lighting place 18" out from the wall so that the light falls on the countertop, not behind where you are standing as then your shadow would fall on the countertop. I think the lights you have selected are too ornate. I'd prefer something simpler such as is shown below. On the second fixture, I'd select that 15" size since the smaller size takes only a 60 watt bulb which would not be adequate.
Carolyn Albert-Kinclk, ASID Wilamette 6 Pendant Light Harmon Pendant | Restoration Hardware
December 10, 2012 at 6:12pm     
Lynda
Thank you Carolyn. If I go with something similar to the RH light (I am not a fan of the schoolhouse light), would it coordinate OK with what I had planned to put in my formal dining area - which is right next to the kitchen? Everything is open, so all lights would be visible from either room. Below is a pic of the chandelier I was thinking about getting. I had found another pendant similar to the RH one, but with bronze instead of silver. Would this work a bit better? Do I need to have them all coordinate?
December 11, 2012 at 3:27am     
creeser
Do you have a lighting store in your area? One that deals with nothing but lights? If so, they will look at your plans or come out to the house and go over what you need. That's what we did and it helped enormously because they know what works with scale as well as placement. He didn't pick my lights for me, but made a list and then showed me back at the showroom, the type of light that would work in that area.
December 11, 2012 at 4:14am     
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
I agree with Carolyn Albert-Kincl (and not because we have the same first name :-) ) and I like your selection for the pendant if you don't like the school house pendant, it would look really nice with your chandelier.

Make sure the contractor pays attention to the layout so he gets the lighting right in terms of placement.

It's much nicer to mix up your lighting and not have just pots.

Also, take into consideration where your plugs and switches will be. Put them in with your under cabinet lighting, or down by the counter turned horizontally, or have a pop up outlet that comes from the counter. If they are lined up in the middle of the space between your counter and upper cabinets they can be a eyesore.

Good luck.
December 11, 2012 at 4:58am     
I like your pendant selection with your choice of chandeliers. Just make sure the wattage is sufficient for the area covered.
December 11, 2012 at 6:30am     
Please help with lighting dilemma - I've exhausted my options?!
I have a landing and a hallway that need lighting and...
Vanity with Soffit Dilemma & Lights - Need Help Please...
Redoing the master bath. Dilemma of whether to keep...
Kitchen layout dilemma - Please help
I'm having a difficult time with a kitchen layout....
Please help with Kitchen dilemma
My husband and I have just purchased this home, we...
Please Help?! Trim and Kitchen Cabinet color dilemma!
I am currently picking out paint colors for my new...
Can anyone tell whether this is marble or granite?
We are redoing our kitchen, and for our countertop,...
Proud of your home?
Is there a particular room or spot in your home that...
Kitchen Backsplash?
We are currently building our dream home right now,...
Dried flowers as decor
What's your take on having dried flowers around the...
Mantel
I am debating whether or not to paint this dark mantel...