Kitchen Back Splash what tile to use...
mendycooksDecember 10, 2012
I was going to put a creamy white subway tile in my kitchen for the back splash. Now I am looking at a marble basket weave tile. Just not sure about using it in the kitchen since I've only seen it used in bathrooms. My perimeter cabinetry is white, the counter top is absolute black granite. The island has callacatta marble top and the base of the cabinet is a very warm chocolate brown. My vent hood is going to be zinc. The basket weave mosaic tile has a black square repeat in it, is that going to be too busy?
Le Rêve Interiors
I would go with the marble basket weave tile. I believe I've seen what you are talking about. The black dot is very small. With the more solid black counters the marble pattern will add interest and texture.
    Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 10:23PM
I would go with the marble basketweave tile also, it's different, not something everyone has. Question - why did you paint the island base chocolate brown? It seems like the odd color in the room, but I would need to see pics to understand it.
    Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 4:23AM
creeser
I'm voting for the basket weave as well. It's so beautiful and different. If I'm thinking of the same tile, the black square is just enough to draw your attention to the design of the tile without being too busy. Would love to see a finished photo. It sounds like it's going to be beautiful!
    Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 4:32AM
If you are worried about the black dots in the basketweave design, there are many other possible designs you could use with marble backsplash tiles that would give visual interest without being quite as busy (I'm not saying you shouldn't use it, only that there are other interesting options to consider). There are also different styles of basket weave, some using black, some gray, etc.
Statuary Stone Mosaic
Signet Collection Arc d'Midi Mosaic
Broken Joint Carrara Mosaic Tile
Stacked Carrara Marble Mosaic
3/8" x 1 1/4" Basketweave Mosaic
    Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 6:41AM
Gabberts Design Studio
I love the option feeny posted with the Zig Zag pattern...gorgeous!
    Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 8:51AM
mendycooks
@olldbobbi the center island is stained a warm chocolate brown and aged to look like an old piece of furniture. The cabinnet doors are inset so it has a furniture look to it the callacatta marble top will have a 2 1/2 inch mitered edge. There are 2 other pieces of cabinetry that match the center island, a desk and a bar cabinet.
1 Like    Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 11:19AM
mendycooks
Thank you all for your comments!!!!
    Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 11:20AM
Travis Robert Renovations
A marble herringbone pattern would look great.... You could always use the subway as your field tile and then use the herringbone or basket weave for a decorative inlay behind the stove. Frame out the inlay with a chair rail which always finishes it off nicely. Happy Renovating!!
    Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 12:55PM
Front exterior door color
I just painted my heritage style home Benjamin Moore...
sheilamarshall8
Design disaster
Tried to change my bathroom but made it worse. I want...
Abby Donolo
Which rug?
Which blue rug should I keep for the family room? I'm...
eyereezy
Re-siding a small place in the California desert
I need help in assessing more modern and not to costly...
mkdunne
Need help for my bedroom
My bedroom is about 120 square feet and a closet apart...
roomdesign123321