Help with entry way
Rhe Anna
When you walk in my front door there is a small landing and two big walls on each side with a lot of empty space. I wanted to do some sort of table with baskets and hooks above or something. Maybe even rustic lockers or something, this is our first house and I am coming to the realization that I have eclectic tastes so I am open to all suggestions!
Rhe Anna
Those tables are not permanent by the way, I only put them there until I find something else.
December 11, 2012 at 7:23am   
HI --- The trouble with open storage , like coat hooks etc. it makes a very cluttered look for an entrance . You don't really have that much room because of the stairs . Seeing how the square tables fit the space ,- if you have small locker size closets built a little smaller than the size of the tables - square with coat hooks inside and a shelf above for gloves and scarfs and hats etc. and room at the bottom for shoes and boots . This could be done on both sides depending on how much storage you need. The fronts can have mirror doors so they won't look so heavy at the entrance. If you only need one then have a small table (half round ?) or a shelf with a mirror above and a box or bowl for keys with a storage ottoman or a small pouf or stool to sit to put shoes/boots on. Then have a nice washable rug .This should make the entrance nice and neat and you won't be tripping over footware coming into the house.
December 11, 2012 at 7:55am   
Gabberts Design Studio
I would suggest a small demi lune table on the left side, with a mirror. There guests could drop their keys or purse, etc. Coats should be taken into another room, or if there is a hall closet nearby, always leave room for guest's coats. Is there another entry into the home, like a garage door access? I would recommend putting a locker system or hooks with basktets at another entrance, not the main one. I agree with lefty47, it would easily get cluttered and look messy.
December 11, 2012 at 8:08am   
December 11, 2012 at 8:15am   
A. Peltier Interiors
I agree also, that might be cluttered. If you found a pair of tables (they cannot be large because you dont have a lot of space) maybe they could have a shelf on the bottom so you could put a basket, but make both sides identical. The symmetry will help make it look more organized. The you can hang an identical mirror over each table or even a series of photos (maybe three high) the frames would be identical on each side but the photos would all be different. The only thing with baskets is you really want them to have a purpose and if this is a front entrance, I'm not sure what you would be storing in them. There are tons of other places a house actually NEEDS baskets so you might want to consider using them elsewhere. The name of the game in this space will be to create symmetry and less is more. Good luck!
December 11, 2012 at 8:19am   
Gabberts Design Studio
Thank for posting those images Feeny, exactly what I was thinking. Especially the one with the drawers and lower shelf for added storage.
December 11, 2012 at 8:48am   
Rhe Anna
Thank you all!
December 12, 2012 at 3:47pm   
I love these. When not put to use they add a very unique look to the entry. I would be inclined to wallpaper behind in a grasscloth. Or put a very natural looking rug on the floor.
Hand Knotted Hemp Area Rug - Natural Silky Loop

VivaTerra - Root Coat Stand
December 12, 2012 at 4:02pm   
With such a tiny entry, I would want to avoid any clutter and unsightly clothing, boots, shoes, etc. Coat stands and hall trees are notorious for getting top heavy an falling over. I favor a simple floating shelf, art or a mirror and keeping the floor clear except for a wow area rug for color.
Woodvalley House - Interiors
Timothy De Clue Design
|| C O B U R N - A R C H I T E C T U R E ||
December 12, 2012 at 4:18pm   
San Francisco Victorian - Entry way/Arch Way Help
My husband and I just purchased this home and are trying...
Help!! My entry way needs help!!
We just bought this house and the entry way needs your...
Is there any help for this entry way. Need HELP
I really need help in trying to figure this area and...
Need help with MCM entry way
We are in the middle of our remodel project and I'm...
Need help with deciding what kind of paint color in the entry way!
I have high ceiling entryway with an arch window and...
Need help thinking about my windows valance
I'm unsure if we should keep this valance or change...
Mother in law is now coming soon, just want to get it right!!!
Hi. I am thinking about B.M. Copley gray for siding...
living/dining makeover
My living/dining room is a mismatched cluttered mess...
whole house finishes
1988-doors, molding & trim in honey oak in all rooms....