Need help with basement layout and decor ideas
jasonallen
My basement space is approximately 16' x 35' with two daylight windows on one side. We use this space for TV watching and spending time with family. I love the look of reclaimed wood (included a picture of some that I've acquired- about 800 sq ft worth). Would like suggestions on where to use the wood without going over"board" and also on paint color scheme and furniture arrangment. I have already cut the entertainment stand down to about half the height and have a 50" flatscreen on top of it. Thanks in advance for any help!
jasonallen
I also like the look of the stone in this link- I want to use my reclaimed wood in some way but would be open to mixing in some stone as well. An electric fireplace may be an option but I don't want to tie myself to that for sure.
December 11, 2012 at 8:01am   
My suggestion would be to panel the wall behind the tv with the reclaimed wood. The oak cabinet looks a bit lonely there, adding the reclaimed wood will make it feel warmer.
December 11, 2012 at 8:44am   
nomadkath
which doorway/ where is the entrance to the room? And is that the 2nd window behind the tall plant next to the couch?
December 11, 2012 at 8:49am   
Prime Walls
If you like the look of reclaimed wood, there is a great and creative way to use the aesthetic in your space by incorporating a textured wall covering; http://www.primewalls.com/products_residential/viewsku/673 http://www.primewalls.com/products_residential/viewsku/687
These will add tone and texture to your space, create contrast and tonal range with the elements you already have, and bring the space together with an elegant natrual essence!
They would also look great if you used dark or light reclaimed wood accent pieces in the space, you can certainly get creative.

Prime walls.
December 11, 2012 at 9:05am   
Natalie
Since the room is so long, a room divider would be a great way to showcase that wood. It wouldn't have to go up to the ceiling-could even serve another purpose such as a snack area on the billiard side. Hope this is helpful. Good Luck!
[houzz=Hill Country Residence][houzz=Kitchen 1][houzz=Kitchen 2][houzz=Reclaimed Work of Art]
December 11, 2012 at 9:44am   
You appear to have a built-in ledge/wainscot running the length of the room. I think that might be a good place to use the reclaimed wood. Can't tell where the entry to the space is. That might also influence where you put the wood. It would make a wonderful backdrop for a ventless, wall hung fireplace, and would look great behind the TV. In fact, I'd use some of it to make a shelf for the TV instead of your cut down oak piece. If you panel that wall with it, have the wiring for the TV run in an accessible way behind the paneling, and simply hang the TV on the wall. Another thought would be to use it as flooring, but it would have to be planed and there might be some waste. It might be fun just to floor a big square under the pool table, like a rug, but wood. At any rate, I would not use it on a wall with doors - you want the effect to be unbroken. That's why I thought first of the wainscot. It runs the complete length of the room, so each section - TV or pool area - gets to enjoy the texture and warmth of it. You definitely need classier lighting throughout. I would suggest semi-flush drum shade fixtures and a hanging drum shade fixture for the pool table. Fabric roman blinds would be nice on the windows. I wouldn't worry about the paint color until you get the wood installed. It has color that will influence where you go with paint. Also, new lighting will influence where you want to take the color choices.
Golden Lighting Modern Two-Light Flush Mount Ceiling Fixture
Simplistic Ceiling Fixture
Dream House Studios, Inc.
Oversized Equator Pendant Lamp
Weave Pendant Lamp
Arched Wall-mount Fireplace
December 11, 2012 at 10:18am   
jasonallen
The entrance to our room is to the left of the oak entertainment stand- there is no door, just an 8' wide opening at the bottom of the stairs.
December 11, 2012 at 10:52am   
jasonallen
To answer a previous question: Yes, the long wall does have a ledge that runs the length of the room (the darker colored paint).
December 11, 2012 at 10:54am   
jasonallen
Additional photos of our basement room; showing the main entry in a more clear fashion. All suggestions are welcomed. Thanks!
December 12, 2012 at 7:34am   
Love your stairwell! The wood is beautiful!
December 12, 2012 at 7:59am   
mpoulsom
I like Natalie's idea of building a room divider with the wood. You could have an open fireplace built into the middle of it to show from both sides. If you did this I would rearrange the furniture. Maybe switching the billiard table area and the tv area to opposite ends of where they are now. Mount the tv to the wall to the right of the window in the "now" billiard area, have one couch facing that and the window. Move the other couch to the wall where pool sticks are now. It would be facing fireplace and wooden divider wall.
December 12, 2012 at 9:26am     
mpoulsom
p.s I would paint the walls a darker color as well, and repaint the ceiling to a flat paint!
December 12, 2012 at 10:05am     
Need help with basement ideas and layout
I'm struggling with my furniture layout. How to make...
Help with ideas for basement design layout (Image Attached)
My basement will be unfinished, but I attached a pic...
Need some decor ideas for basement family room
Below are some of the things i would like to get your...
Need help with basement layout!!
We are in the process of finishing our basement and...
Am I heading in the right direction?
My goal is cottage style with craftsman influences....
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
What do put on either side of this painting
This is in our kitchen area, that we actually use as...
Hardwood flooring emergency-- help!
Hi friends, We are near the very end of our remodel...