Kitchen Reno - need help with layout
newpat
Kitchen is 10w x 20l , planning on a galley with an island across the end with stools backing onto family room. Wall between kitchen and family room will come down and family room is also 10 x 20. My dilemma is whether or not it is realistic to have the island , I was thinking 5 ft w x 3 ft deep with only storage on the kitchen side and seating on the family room side. Any suggestions? Is an island possible in such a narrow kitchen?
THE OAKS DESIGNER KITCHENS & BATHS
A galley kitchen would indicate that you would have cabinets on each side of the kitchen running the long way. A 10' wide kitchen with cabinets on each side would leave less than six feet to install an island. If the island is three feet deep you have less than 18" of space on each side which is not enough room to do any work. I think you may be talking about a peninsula at one end of the kitchen. If it runs 5' out from the wall the cabinet run on one side will need to be quite a bit shorter than the other side to allow for movement around the peninsula. Seating on the peninsula will be adequate for only two stools to avoid being cramped. A picture of the space will help clarify what we have to work with. Hope I have shed some light on the matter.
0 Likes   December 11, 2012 at 5:29PM
Great explanation from above. 10 feet is too narrow for an island unless there is only cabinetry on one side of the kitchen.

0 Likes   December 11, 2012 at 5:42PM
newpat
Yes, you are right, I was referring to a peninsula......do you think this will look ok given the long and narrow area? Ps family room is same width and another 20 ft longer....worried about a bowling alley effect. There will be no cabinets at the far end where peninsula is...just openings to hallway, family room etc.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 12:42PM
Need Layout Advice - Gut Reno Kitchen
Hi - I recently purchased my first apartment in...
Layout help - reno open plan lounge/kitchen
We have started our reno's on the rest of the house...
Need help with furniture layout and decorating in our 1960s ranch reno
We are rennovating a 1960s ranch. We knocked out the...
Need help with kitchen/family room Reno
We are planning to take down wall between kitchen and...
need help with kitchen reno!
Hubby wants a commercial stand alone oven but I am...
How should I update this Kitchen??
The decor is from previous owners. What should be the...
Design Direction help needed!
Hello! We recently purchased this house on a lake,...
Small loft not working
We just moved in and the furniture I had planned to...
A flag for a custom frame.
Hey Guys, Any idea where I can find a beautiful...
Please help! How can I add to this room to make it seem more feminine
I started out with these chairs that are black framing...