Suggestions are welcome!
Bonnie
Our new loft apartment is quite a difficult decorating project! All the furniture, except for the Chinese wedding bed, the Quan Yin statue and the mirrors behind her are from our prior residence and can be replaced. The great room pictured is about 30x30 with16 foot ceilings. Any input and/or suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks,
Bonnie and Bill
Aline Camacho
I love your decor the way it is! :)
3 Likes   December 11, 2012 at 5:28PM
Lynn Nevins
The first thing that screams out at me is....change the wall colors. I think the off-white walls (I'm talking mainly about what appears to be off-white brick walls) look quite bad and don't showcase the sort of exotic style of some of your furniture and the large plants. I'm thinking red walls. Also, do you need those 'temporary' looking walls that are in yellow and purple? I think those half-walls really take away from the open loft space and I also don't like the yellow and purple colors...I don't think they add to the decor at all. If those half-walls are there to create privacy, could you try to do it in other ways....curtains, more folding screens, etageres etc.? I really dislike the half walls, especially where they meet up with the columns.... it just looks very 'chopped-up'. Sorry but just trying to give some honest constructive advice. ;-)
0 Likes   December 11, 2012 at 5:55PM
maryannemack
Touch nothing
3 Likes   December 11, 2012 at 5:56PM
Keep the Asian. All the white looks really good. Would rethink the lavender wall. How about wallpaper instead?
3 Likes   December 11, 2012 at 5:57PM
Natalie
Gorgeous-Love it all!---Except the wall colors. 2 colors for you: SW 6125 Craft Paper and SW 6151 Quiver Tan either one (or both if you want a mix) will really accentuate what you have going on... Best of Luck to You---keep us posted. CheerS!
2 Likes   December 11, 2012 at 6:12PM
Bonnie
i know, unfortunately we inherited the wall colors but we have always planned on changing them. thanks for the color suggestions, we will check them out!
1 Like   December 11, 2012 at 6:26PM
collettec
Beautiful place, beautiful furnishings and a great start. Love the paint around the walls, think they work well with the flooring, your art and other decor. Not loving the bright colors on the separation walls which I don't think go as well with the other muted colors of the rest of the room. They look almost like a theater set. I know you're just moved in, so will probably need some time to define what you'll use the space for. I think it would help to divide and define areas a little more. Perhaps ground and separate some areas with rugs and also close off areas more to one another with screens or with backs of furniture to the rest of the room. Love your choices so far!
2 Likes   December 11, 2012 at 6:36PM
You've done a fabulous, highly professional job of your loft so far. I think you should just keep on doing what your eye says is right because you've certainly nailed it so far! The personal touch that you've put on it is something that can really only be done by you and that's when the very best design happens, not when we tell you what we think you should do.
7 Likes   December 11, 2012 at 6:37PM
I like it just the way it is. Nicely done! It looks collected and "loved".
3 Likes   December 11, 2012 at 6:43PM
Christa Somerville_Chase
love it...just makes me want to see more
1 Like   December 11, 2012 at 7:09PM
Bonnie
thanks for the suggestions and the encouragement!
0 Likes   December 11, 2012 at 7:09PM
Bonnie
Christa,
thanks for your comments and interest.
there are pics of the kitchen under "Please help with our challenging kitchen" that we posted in the design dilemma section a couple of days ago.
we just finished the master bath and plan to post that in the before and after column.
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 9:40AM
Bonnie
Darzy,
thanks for your insightful comment. much of the decorations have been collected for years. And our main goal for our new residence was for it to be, as the cliche goes, our "sanctuary" that is filled with love and peace.
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 9:47AM
Bonnie
Carolyn (Albert),
your wisdom and encouraging note is very much appreciated!!
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 11:55AM
Susan Draftz
I agree with these positive comments and I used to live in an artist's loft and never like what designers do with them. It's gorgeous what you've done, personal. But the purple wall.. It's not just the color. Suddenly against this wall you have gotten very traditional with the furniture setup. (as much as I love the furniture) I had a friend who made a wall of old distressed doors. Another neighbor covered his bathroom wall with old medicine cabinets. I have a tradition of hanging my old Mexican chairs on the wall in a grid and removing them for use as needed. Artists put all kinds of collected things on top of their half walls. I'm not suggesting those ideas specifically, just trying to open up the possibilities for something 3 dimensional or the illusion of 3 dimensional, unexpected. You obviously have the talent to figure it out. But I would paint the walls neutral first . It's too hard to come up with an idea when you're staring at big flat squares of gold and purple.
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 2:04PM
Bonnie
Our contractor is painting the yellow and purple walls a neutral, tannish color called "hush" next week. It is the same color as part of the painted brick. I will post an updated photo when it is complete.
Thanks!!
4 Likes   December 16, 2012 at 10:07PM
Can't wait to see. I may miss the purple. : )
1 Like   December 16, 2012 at 10:34PM
Natalie
Looking forward to seeing the walls painted too, and delighted to hear you decided to go with a tan hue. CheerS!
1 Like   December 17, 2012 at 4:22AM
Bonnie
:)
0 Likes   December 17, 2012 at 7:03AM
Bonnie
Happy, healthy--and beautiful-- new year to all our houzz friends!!
0 Likes   January 2, 2013 at 11:30AM
Aja Mazin
More views!
2 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 2:26PM
idealady1
Very cool! So funky... yet sophisticated the way you've decorated.
2 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 2:34PM
Jayme H.
I love it...so flipping cool!!! Love what u have done/are doing!! Good job!
2 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 2:52PM
Chris Saper Portraits & Fine Art
I Also love what you have going on- certainly red, black, cobalt blue or emerald green are what you might expect to see with Asian artifacts -but I like the soft ochre color of the mail walls. There seems to be quite a bit of yellow in the flooring color, so I wouldn't fight the warm color temperatures. Nonetheless, I think that a bit of purple might work quite well - just not the rich deeply saturated purple of the wall. Have you ever seen an analogous color wheel? With the soft ochre, I think that an accent of a violet that is substantially lighter in value and much less saturated...ie, 'greyed' down, would be a lovely complementary color to use.
1 Like   January 14, 2013 at 3:39PM
Bonnie
Thank you, thank you everyone
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 4:20PM
Aja Mazin
I have Chinese pieces my father brought back from China and Persian rugs.

I was going to do British Colonial, but now I am thinking World Eclectic .
2 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 4:27PM
Bonnie
In my humble opinion, both styles are beautiful and they overlap quite a bit.
2 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 5:23PM
Aja Mazin
AGREED, BUT WITH MORE OPTIONS.

whoops....
2 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 5:50PM
Bonnie
agreed!
1 Like   January 14, 2013 at 6:39PM
Jayme H.
Agreed!
2 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 6:47PM
emilytacoma
Gorgeous unique home! I can't say I would change anything!
1 Like   January 15, 2013 at 5:10PM
Bonnie
Thank you, emily!
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 5:46AM
kudzooks
This is a place to die for! Wow. You have such beautiful, subtle wall colors on the brick. Please keep them exactly as they are. The bright modern separation walls are fighting the room. Have you considered fabric, woven grass or bamboo on the short walls? The metal screen is totally out of place. Would a tall, freestanding water element be possible? I think that there is way too much drapey drapey on the furniture. Tuck the fabric on the bed for a cleaner line. The ottoman could use a softer, more cohesive fabric as could the chair that is totally concealed with yet another drape. I would bring more textiles (cushions) into the sitting area to keep the flow moving. The bookcase is a dark hole and needs some coordinating accents of color here and there and possibly some tucked in lighting. Go with the charm of the faded yellow on the walls and add complimentary colors around the room with textiles - soft lavender and a muted spring green with a splash of rust or soft yellow for good measure. Mixed patterns are o.k. The white walls should be toned down with a warmer white. Happy decorating. Did I mention that I love this space?
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 6:43AM
andrew26
I hope some magazine picks you for a feature article! Love love love your loft.
2 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 2:41PM
Bonnie
Andrew, thank you so much!!
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 3:32PM
ekc3502
Wait!?! There is something wrong with this space?
1 Like   January 16, 2013 at 3:55PM
Bonnie
my thoughts were that there is always room for improvement! But not everyone agreed.
thanks so much!
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 4:27PM
Fitted Bedspread
Hello, I saw a model home that includes a fitted bedspread....
Ideas for what colour to paint walls
I have dark blue kitchen cabinets and travertine marble...
Need help with 7' planter box in a stairway/living room, no plantS pls
It is Solid oak in a contemporary home. I don't want...
Need help with porcelain palace!!
So when we moved into this house the bathroom looked...
How to fix the grout in stone floor
We painted the trim in our house and some of it got...