How to use space on a wall that holds the electric fuse box panel?

Lynn NevinsDecember 11, 2012
Hi all. I don't have a real camera so I'm only able to provide camera phone photos. I tried rotating the photos so they are upright but for some reason it didn't work for all of them.

Anyway as you can see I have a small hallway just outside my bathroom. I use this small area as 'kitty central'...it holds their food bowls, litter box and scratching post. As you can see there is a lot of 'white area' above it. Normally I would hang a painting on the wall there but unfortunately the fuse box is in the way and even if I were to hang a painting directly over the panel, it's at too low of a height. I also considered maybe a 'quirky' place to hang a painting would be on the white door that you see....something that would help to draw the eye up from the kitty stuff below on the floor...but not sure how a painting would look on that door. As you can see that door also has vents in the bottom because behind that door is my washer/dryer.

I was also considering maybe some type of a fabric hanging on the wall to cover the fuse box? Or else maybe just hang some type of mobile from the ceiling in the corner...maybe that would be enough to draw the eye upwards and eliminate some of that too-much-white space in the upper half of that area?

What do y'all think?

Tx!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
orangecamera
Play up the "kitty corner". Put a rug-covered perch on the wall below the door, and put a picture on the door "for the cat", and then another perch above the door.

Matisse fish bowl
1 Like    Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 7:02PM
PRO
Dytecture
Here is an example of hanging a piece of fabric over a large wall area that allows easy access to the fuse panel.

Shingle Style House, Historic Seaside Town, Rhode Island · More Info
    Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 7:12PM
Lynn Nevins
hmmm...that's an idea...to play up the kitty corner...maybe do a zigzagging kitty walkway that works its way around the fusebox.... thanks.....something to keep in mind!
    Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 7:13PM
Lynn Nevins
thanks.....I hadn't really considered one big piece of fabric to cover the entire wall but that could work! When I had initially mentioned fabric it was more on the idea of a small wall hanging like you see suspended from a small wooden dowel on a string...like just big enough to cover the fuse box panel....
    Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 7:16PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Is there any chance of turning that vent in the door to the laundry into a kitty door and putting the cat gear in the laundry room? I'd get 30 x 50" rug to hang over the electric box, or a piece of art which might even be an enlarged photo of your cat.
Zigzag Rug · More Info
    Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 7:25PM
Lynn Nevins
ah...that would be perfect...remove the vent and replace it with a kitty door...how perfect would that be! But alas, the washer and dryer themselves take up virtually all the space in that closet...I can barely fit my ironing board standing upright, alongside the top to bottom washer/dryer.... So absolutely no way I could fit anything else in there. If it was a kitty door instead of the vent, the cats would smack right up against the dryer, which is within inches of the door itself....
    Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 7:35PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
A purrfect plan, foiled! Glad it's cats, not a single cat. It's always such fun to see the antics they can get up to together.
    Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 7:40PM
Lynn Nevins
Indeed. I always have two cats at a time, and when one 'crosses the bridge' I always get a second cat within a few weeks time. I love being able to rescue a new cat from a shelter and as you say, it also gives the other cat company and yes, I do love how the two cats play off each other...
    Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 8:15PM
PRO
Custom Home Planning Center
I use long tall posters over this kind of box. No nails but a double up on command strips generally works. You could always do a digital mix of you cat, of the size required by the standard large poster frame and get a local commercial printer run it out on his printer on canvas paper.
    Bookmark   December 11, 2012 at 8:44PM