Are creamy white cabinets a mistake? :-/
Amy
Hi everyone! My husband and I are planning to reface our kitchen cabinets. I LOVE white kitchens so the plan is/was to make our cabinets white. We have been planning to make them a creamy white but of course after looking at so many photos here on HOUZZ I am confused. :-/ We have plantation shutters (faux wood) and crown molding in the kitchen that are a brighter white (I believe Dunn Edwards Swiss Coffee). I'm trying to get some input on whether the creamy white cabinets would look okay with the brighter white shutters and molding or if we need to try and match the cabinets with them. My fear with that is it not matching (an obvious hit and miss) and the kitchen possibly being too stark. I'd love some feedback. Thank you, Amy. :-)
fife2
pictures??????
December 12, 2012 at 12:48AM   
When we moved here last year, there were no appliances in the kitchen as the flipper was waiting for the deal to close to install them. He installed all white appliances, but had painted the cabinets and walls off-white. The combination was HORRIBLE. It made the appliances look stark and the walls/cabinets look dirty. As soon as we got settled in I painted the entire kitchen appliance white and have never regretted it.

I accented my kitchen with Behr denim light, or light denim, can't remember the exact order, to keep it from looking too stark:
December 12, 2012 at 2:43AM     
Shawn Lagemann
I agree with olldbobbi, that when white and off (creamy) white are used in series one makes the other look dingy or dirty yellow. However, the direction to go to achieve the look you want really depends on the style you are looking for. For example the cabinets can have a glaze applied over top, to really make them stand out differently and you can pull everything together with the backsplash and countertop for a more traditional look. If you have crown this may be the look you are going for. Contrast is a good thing to help warm up a space. What color are the floors. A white countertop with veining or accent colors in it is good, or a countertop of a darker color. There are many backsplashes to choose from that can pull in many different colors as well. Wall color and accent pieces or fabric for chairs and windows are another area to add color to keep the stark look at bay. If you can post pictures, I feel you will get more specific suggestions.
December 12, 2012 at 5:01AM     
Amy
Thanks for your comments. I've attached some photos. This is the first time I've put photos on here so I'm not sure if I'm only able to attach a certain amount at once. If so, I'll break it up. :-) Are kitchen will be more on the traditional side. My husband is more traditional....I'm modern/contemporary traditional (or at least I'd like to be). There isn't much light in the kitchen in these photos and we typically get more morning light than afternoon light. We will be paining the walls but not exactly sure what color yet.
The granite is Verde Butterfly (I think that's what it's called). It's a dark dark green (almost black) with specs of black, gold, tan/cream. The granite is staying. The floors are Travertine with a border that I don't care for...but staying. Thanks for all the help and suggestions!! I really appreciate it!
December 12, 2012 at 8:21AM   
Amy
A few more photos....
December 12, 2012 at 8:26AM   
This is a bit off topic, personally I would not paint over the cabinets, but all this kitchen really needs are some hardware attached to the front to provide a more updated feel.

December 12, 2012 at 8:27AM     
This is my favorite kitchen on Houzz, do you like it? It would be easy to make your kitchen look similar: [houzz=
]
December 12, 2012 at 8:31AM     
A. Peltier Interiors
I think whatever you did on the trim will look good on the cupboards and then maybe think about adding something neutral, but with more contrast, on the walls.
December 12, 2012 at 8:40AM   
Amy
I do like that kitchen! I can 't change our granite/back splash though or the floors. We are getting new doors and drawers. They will have a raised panel but not much detail other than that. We will definitely get hardware, which is another decision that is tough!!! We are planning to make the island a Java color. The problem with getting new doors and drawers is that they are done in certain colors in the spray booth or whatever out of state. Here in California it is better to have them painted out of state. I think it would be a "custom order" if I said I wanted them to use a certain color/brand of paint and even then there is a good possibility that the cupboards won't match the crown molding and shutters perfectly. I think that is why it would be better to go significantly off with a creamy color than try to match and it be a hit and miss. Ugh. :-/. Thanks again everyone! I appreciate all the feedback.
December 12, 2012 at 9:52AM   
Nancy Hehmann
I like an area rug in the kitchen; but I dont go to the kitchen section- too many roosters or grapes. etc. I have a zebra print and I clean it with my portable Hoover steam cleaner when I need to.
December 12, 2012 at 10:34AM   
nasmijati
If the cabinets are in good condition, I agree with Dytecture.
December 12, 2012 at 12:46PM     
If you are keeping the white appliances and white crown molding I think it is better to go with white cabinets rather than cream. You don't, IMO, want this look:

December 12, 2012 at 12:54PM     
Sterling Kitchen & Bath
I would say go bright white on the cabinets, and then paint the walls something in a gray maybe? That will look good with the Java island, and the travertine floors.. as well as the butterfly tops. Then maybe look into some new more modern looking hardware?
December 12, 2012 at 1:12PM     
Amy
We will be replacing the appliances with stainless steel. I like the idea of grey. :-). Thanks again everyone.
December 12, 2012 at 1:31PM   
Oh, well if the appliances are stainless steel and the only bright white is the crown molding, and you have a soffit between the cabinets and the crown molding anyway, I think you can go with either bright white or off white or even cream or ivory. I prefer consistency of color, but I don't think you will be unhappy either way. And either gray cabinets or gray walls are beautiful (not sure which you meant when you said you thought you'd go with gray).
December 12, 2012 at 2:20PM   
Artful Design Interiors
The countertop and flooring colors should be your biggest factors in choosing the cabinet paint color. That's where you have the most dollars invested and the white of your trim will look nice in contrast to a richer color on the cabinets. Check Dunn Edwards DE6227 Muslin or DE6220 Porous Stone.

Admittedly, it is difficult to zero in on paint colors online, but I suggest going a little richer. And be sure to get referrals on the company refacing your cabinetry.
December 12, 2012 at 2:32PM     
houssaon
December 12, 2012 at 2:58PM     
spectoka
We are refacing our kitchen to make it white too and I just chose my color today. I'm going BM Cloud white. It was between that and BM Linen white. The linen is much more creamy but I think the Cloud is a nice compromise, a little bit of warmth and a bit more contemporary without being stark. Also my lighting is not the greatest in there so it will brighten it up a bit more. My appliances are stainless and I'm going with Ceaserstone countertops in Raven. I'm a bit worried that I'll have to repaint all my trim and moldings but what the heck. :)
December 12, 2012 at 3:09PM     
Eztia, Dy and I think you should leave the cabs as is and change the hardware.

I will add: for the walls I would do a black grasscloth.

December 12, 2012 at 3:41PM   
Amy
For those that think I should leave the cabinets as is and just add harware, I so appreciate your opinion but unfortunately I do not like to color of the cabinets and they are about 20 years old with a significant amount of water damage.
Feeny, Houssaon, Artful Design Interiors, Sterling Kitchen & Bath...and everyone else...THANK YOU! I really appreciate the photos you shared with me and all the suggestions.
Houssaon...those pictures really helped. :-)
Spectoka, how did you get to choose your color of paint? Are your current cabinets just being re-painted or are you getting new cabinets? All the companies that I had come out have their own colors that they use.
Thanks again!
December 12, 2012 at 5:03PM     
spectoka
we are getting new doors and painting the rest. We have to use a custom cabinet guy because he is replacing doors on existing custom cabinets, and they paint whatever color we want. I've seen a finished door and it looks like a factory finish - gorgeous! You might want to check with a custom cabinet company - I was surprised to find that the price of the new doors is small in comparison to the price of painting all the rest which is very labor intensive.
December 13, 2012 at 7:49AM   
fife2
Nothing is the wrong color IF you like it and it works for YOU!
December 13, 2012 at 9:49AM     

Here is a kitchen with your granite and off-white cabs. It looks like the trim, shutters and cabs are the same color. Looks good :>)
December 13, 2012 at 12:16PM     
Iyare I
My old kitchen before I redid it had the cream cabinets and white appliances and trim... it was hideous... the first thing i did when I redid my kitchen was to paint the cabinets white white
December 13, 2012 at 12:28PM     
Iyare I, absolutely, I totally agree and did the same thing!....olldbobbi
December 13, 2012 at 12:30PM     
Amy
Thanks Judyg....beautiful picture. It almost looks as though the shutters and crown molding are a brighter whit though. Not sure.
Lyare...is that picture your kitchen before or after it was redone? Kind of hard to tell on my computer.
Oh....and we will be having stainless steel appliances.
Thanks everyone!
December 13, 2012 at 3:54PM   
Iyare I
That was before my kitchen was redone. The pics below are the after
December 13, 2012 at 4:12PM   
spectoka
looks great lyare! I think the whites clashing or not depends on context. I found this picture on Ceaserstone website. I think the white appliances clash and look terrible with the creamer cabinets, while I think the trim looks ok even though it is much whiter than the cabinets.

hmm can't seem to upload it so here is the website, it's the 4th photo http://www.caesarstoneus.com/products/color/4141/
December 13, 2012 at 4:31PM     
Iyare I
I agree that the whites clashing looks bad....Its like wearing a cream shirt with white pants... one looks dirty and the other looks clean. For me, the decision to paint my cabinets white to go with my appliances was to create a visual "onesness" in my lines as opposed to putting stainless steel and making my appliances the focal point of the room.
December 13, 2012 at 5:06PM     
Cancork Floor Inc.
You have some very good "bones" in your kitchen! An updated colour would look smashing. I would suggest you pick your colours from the flecks in your counter top. You have some great colour in there! You can move from a "champagne" straight through to a jade/emerald for accents! I'm hearing rumors of the next up and coming accent colour is "Emerald". With your counter top, you are half way there! Pick the shade for your cabinets, then the tiles and do the work. Once you are done, you can decide whether or not the floor is staying "as-is". A beautiful Cork floating floor can go down right over the tiles! Colours from "petrol blue" right through to "marble white" or "ebony black".
December 13, 2012 at 5:31PM     
momof5x
Our new kitchen will be in a creamy white, I saw a picture of it and it looks gorgeous, wish I had one to show you but it isn't on my mobile. Looks warm and traditional! Mine are exact colour of Shiloh pic above.
December 14, 2012 at 11:30AM   
Amy
Thanks Momo. What about all the trim? Is that going to be the same color?
Thanks! :-)
December 14, 2012 at 11:34AM   
momof5x
Everything is cream, I have yet to see the appliances so will let you know as soon as I know :) I will try to take another look at the pic once I can get hold of it and let you know more. I fell in love with it though, so welcoming. It is a newly built house so still ongoing..almost complete.
December 14, 2012 at 11:36AM   
Amy
Yes, I'm sure it's beautiful. The dilemma I'm having is that all our crown molding and windows (plantation shutters) are white (Swiss coffee). I'm worried how cream cabinets will look with the white. :-/
December 14, 2012 at 11:40AM   
momof5x
oh just remembered I do have a pick of the back wall ( back splash area?) This gives me the option to use colour from this to complement the kitchen. In the bedroom the ceiling will be partly white but some of the walls are cream, looks fine to me but the experts on here will for sure know better :) Best of luck!
December 14, 2012 at 11:56AM   
BTW: Meant to mention this earlier. Swiss Coffee (whether Dunn Edwards or Benjamin Moore) is an off-white rather than a bright white. Not sure whether that makes a difference since we don't really know whether the "cream" cabinets you are considering are closer to off white or yellow-cream or ivory. But in any case it doesn't sound as if you have a bright white in the room.
December 14, 2012 at 3:34PM   
Big empty space over stairwell
I have no idea where to start with this big empty space....
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
My office needs an upgrade! Suggestions needed.
I've been with my company for three years, the person...
Need some help/inspiration updating my newly purchased 60's home
Hey all, I need some help and insight into what might...
Granite seam MAKING ME ANGRY :( can it be improved?
just had granite installed today and the seam is pretty...