Black appliances: how can I soften the starkness of them
springchicken41
The appliances in our new house are black. How can I tone them down, especially the refridgerator, short of taking it to be reprinted? The kitchen is small which makes them stand out even more. Replacing is not an option.
I went searching around houzz for black appliances and the kitchen cabs were either white or natural. Then I cam across this and I love it. With lots of bright white and maybe a very light blue tinted ceiling, I think your kitchen could be a winner.

0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 11:47AM
kitasei
Where do you live? You could swap with my white appliances, which I am trying to tone down :)
2 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 12:17PM
I always think black appliances look good only when there is something else black in the kitchen to coordinate with them-- usually either cabinets or countertops. Do either of those need updating? It is also possible, if planned very carefully, to paint just some of your cabinets black. Either black lower cabinets with white uppers, or a few black accent cabinets in a medium-tone stained wood kitchen can look good.

1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 12:48PM
yvonnecmartin
Even some black in a rug or other accessories would help.
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 12:50PM
springchicken41
Not only is fridge black; stove, dish washer, microwave, and trash can are also black. The fridge is largest - a black blob. Cabinets are maple with brushed chrome knobs. My style is eclectic cottage. Right now I'm thinking of white knobs. Single guy had house and it was minimalist. So I really need help! Maybe put glass in a cabinet door or 2. Or take cabinet door off for some open shelves. Fridge still black, though. Please don't suggest lace or ric rac around the edges. : )
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 3:03PM
What about black knobs to tie it together with the appliances? What color are the counters and floors?
1 Like   December 12, 2012 at 3:07PM
springchicken41
Counters are light Corian and floor off white tile.
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 3:09PM
I'm not convinced white knobs and pulls will help anything, unless your floors and Corian are the same white. And that won't do anything one way or the other to integrate the black appliances. But I'm not sure black knobs are good idea if the floor and counters are light. So probably cancel my last suggestion. Hmm. I promise I'm not going to suggest either lace or rick rack, but I do think you need to add some black accents somewhere. Let me look for pictures and see if anything jumps out at me.
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 3:17PM
Okay I know the kitchen in this picture has SS appliances and dark counters, so it isn't the least bit like yours, but I'm intrigued by the black accent line around the top and the black handles and how they tie into the black counters. I'm wondering whether something like that could be used to tie in your black appliances. Just a thought.

0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 3:22PM
springchicken41
If not white knobs, how about glass ones either clear or a color. I got great green ones at antique shop for last house. Or even some flower ones. I've seen some pretty and some wild ones.
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 3:44PM
adding color to our living room
we just got new furniture , I love color and ...
Doing a breezeway add on.
My roof is a blue metal, exterior walls are light grey....
Will this kitchen function?
One of our wishes was to have enough seating for five...
Need hlep with millwork
Starter homes in Federal Way and need to know the spec...
Wall across from entry door
Hi everyone! I live in a small condo. When you open...