Black White Gray master bedroom. What color for accent?
orangecamera
Here are pictures of my master bedroom and my bedding. I'm considering painting the walls Dorian Gray (SW 7017) or Mindful Gray (SW 7016).

The room has a bay (bow?) window at one end that gets a LOT of afternoon and evening light. Directly across from the windows (about 16 feet away) are large mirrored closet doors.

I have 3 tall wood dressers that are espresso in color, with brushed nickel hardware, and a matching nightstand. The lines are very clean and sleek. I don't have a headboard on my queen bed, or any other furniture for the bedroom.

I want the room to be calming, and "cool" temperature-wise, but not stark. I have usually gone with "warm" colors, so this is a new palette for me. I'm looking for suggestions of colors to use for accents in the room. (Please, whatever you do, don't suggest pink!)
orangecamera
Oooooh, very nice, decoenthusiaste!
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 7:01PM
You like???
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 7:03PM
Orangecamera...what? I thought for sure you'd want orange! ; ) The yellow is great.
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 7:05PM
orangecamera
decoenthusiaste, indeed I do. Thank you :)

Darzy, gee, what made you say that??? LOL! The main areas of my house will be orange! (SW 6660 and SW 6661) I love it. But really want a change of pace for the bedroom, especially since it gets SO much light.
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 7:10PM
You could also do purple...with a shot of yellow. I really like deco's yellow sugggestion tho.

0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 7:14PM
kah416
I totally agree with the yellow accents!! Perfect! I would only suggest new bedding with gray and white instead of black and white...if you are to have the same color pallet as the first commenter showed pics of :) I love it!
2 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 7:15PM
orangecamera
Luckily, the other side of my comforter is solid gray, so it will be very easy for me to work with yellow. I'm not loving the combo of gray and purple though, but thanks Darzy. I'm already thinking about what yellow things I can put in the room! I have some small old little tables that I could paint yellow and use as another night table and for accents.

What do you all think of painting the horizontal top and bottom of the bay window yellow?
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 7:23PM
2 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 7:28PM
Yes, I prefer the yellow as well. Just an option for you. : ) Yellow is so close to orange. : )
0 Likes   December 12, 2012 at 8:31PM
Paint all of the window "seat" to match the white trim, but do this... If you can't do the upholstered cushion right now, just use pillows on it.
Kathy Corbet Interiors
Master Bedroom Bay Window and Sisal -Look Carpet
0 Likes   December 16, 2012 at 8:02AM
orangecamera
Thanks decoenthusiaste. I've been thinking of putting an upholstered chair next to it, since it's not large enough for seating inside the window. Pillows look nice propped up against the glass, and will help as insulation as well as decor, so thanks for these pictures!
0 Likes   December 16, 2012 at 8:19AM
Andrea Shink
1 Like   December 16, 2012 at 9:15AM
L'Artesana
I would do accents in grape, lavander, white and pale yellow. It can be in paintings, pillows, rugs beside the bed, lamps. Good luck and tell us know how it was at the end, you have very nice suggestions also.
0 Likes   December 16, 2012 at 9:30AM
pcmom1
Love yellow, but if you want cool and calming I would look at teal.
1 Like   December 16, 2012 at 9:47AM
Artisanaworks
Decoenthusiaste does a great presentation with suggestion of yellow, but for cool and calming I might suggest a subdued blue-purple, periwinkle, or plum. The fabric on this Cobble Hill Piece caught my eye.
1 Like   December 16, 2012 at 10:35AM
lelu81
Coral, calming but vibrant
0 Likes   December 16, 2012 at 1:00PM
orangecamera
Okay, I was all set to go with yellow. But now I'm thinking a blue or teal, since those colors would also go with my orange living/dining room, and I tend to rearrange my furniture often. I'm off to buy some paint and try making homemade "chalk paint" to use on a small table that can wind up in any room.

Work on my house is progressing as planned, and I still hope to be in there right around the end of the year or first week of January.

I'll post a picture if the table comes out okay. Otherwise...it. never. happened. ;)
2 Likes   December 17, 2012 at 11:28AM
houssaon
For cool and a west facing room, I like purple. Especially what Artisanaworks suggested. I live the luxurious look of this room with the purple wall:

Of the two colors, I like the lighter one, Mindful Gray.
1 Like   December 17, 2012 at 1:52PM
orangecamera
houssan and decoenthusiaste, you hit the nail on the head there!

I'm going to paint the walls SW7016 Mindful Gray as houssan posted. The color I'm painting the table is Olympic A48-5 Royal Plume. The way it's showing on my monitor is not what the color actually looks like in person (of course). In person it's darker, closer to the color of the darker chair deco posted.

I have one coat of paint on now, and will do another coat tonight or tomorrow. It's looking good so far.
0 Likes   December 17, 2012 at 2:07PM
orangecamera
Yep, looking at it on my monitor doesn't do it justice :(
0 Likes   December 17, 2012 at 2:08PM
orangecamera
Okay, here are before and after pictures of the table I painted. I love the color, it looks nicer in person - not so "in your face".
1 Like   December 31, 2012 at 6:32AM
Aja Mazin
Wow,

The sun through the bay window could be a problem in the summer.

You might want to consider an energy efficient window treatment.

Cellular shades or Roman shades made with a thermal fabric.
0 Likes   January 6, 2013 at 4:40PM
Black and white master bedroom - accent color suggestions?
I am redoing my master bedroom. I'd like to do the...
99dalton
Black & White & Gray Master Bedroom - Am I On The Right Track?
We are about to move to a new house and I want our...
Amanda
Adding an accent color to a yellow, black, gray and white room
Would turquoise be a suitable color to add to this...
rosbrd
living and family rooms-floor
I am redoing my living room and family room floors,...
jackiegene
Need help designing this 544 sq. ft. apartment
I am a senior at Oklahoma State University and had...
Christabel
Beautiful view, what window covers?
I have a full wall of windows looking at our lake....
dierbeckc
What's your favourite Christmas tradition?
From hanging stockings to bon-bons, cooking a glazed...
HouzzAU
Bathroom
I'm remodeling my kitchen and bathrooms. Do I have...
acoladner