Help with living room furniture layout and wood stove placement
savagecatherine2012
I have a 12'x17' living room with three openings (to the kitchen/dining room, stairways going up and down, and to the front entryway). It is basically the passageway to get through the whole main floor.

Also, there are 3 windows that are really low and I hesitate to put a sofa in front of them, although the "view" is just onto the front porch and the driveway.

We just purchased the house and have not moved in yet, nor do we own any of the furniture in the sketches. Currently, the house does not have a wood stove but it is possible to install a chimney along any of the walls. We would get a pretty compact vermont castings or jotul stove.

Living room must-haves (husband):
wood stove
recliner chair
sofa
place for record player and receiver and records (this is shown in one of the sketches)

Originally I wanted to put the stove near the stairwell so that it would send heat up to the second floor and be most efficient, but I can't seem to find a furniture layout that works.

There is no T.V. It will go in basement.

Which arrangement would you recommend? What furniture/decorating would help make the arrangement work with the room?

savagecatherine2012
Here are the possibilities I was playing around with. The doorway and the top goes into kitchen/dining room, the lower right corner has the stairs going upstairs and down to the basement, and the doorway to the front door is cropped out of the picture.
   December 13, 2012 at 6:17AM
savagecatherine2012
Here are some photos of the room.
   December 13, 2012 at 6:27AM
Aggie Purvinska
I think the most logical is to put the stove between the two windows like in sketch one. However, I would not have the sofa face the stove, but instead have the sofa face the door, with the back against the other window. (turn sofa 90 degrees clockwise and to chairs to face it) The record player would be at the spot where it is in the last two sketches.
   December 13, 2012 at 6:33AM
I assume that if the stove in the top left design were moved to the opposite wall it would heat the upstairs. If that is correct, you can put the record system opposite the stove as in the other two illustrations. That still leaves the same part of the room available for layout as in all the illustrations.
I suggest you open the room by putting the sofa in front of the two windows, facing the room, rather than blocking it off. Angle the lounger under the double window facing the sofa. Then float the smaller chair out in front of the door, angled toward the sofa. The front feet of the sofa should be on the rug and so should all of the smaller chair. If that is a sofa table you've added in the third design it could still go behind the sofa, just pull the entire arrangement out a bit. This arrangement will not make use of the second rug, as you will pull the main rug much farther out into the center of the room.
   December 13, 2012 at 6:43AM
savagecatherine2012
The stove placement in the upper left seems like the most efficient in terms of spreading the heat around. The stove cannot go directly opposite the record player because there is a doorway there.
   December 13, 2012 at 7:15AM
I have a 12'x17' living room with three openings (to...
Living Room Layout and Furniture Placement
I am trying to figure out the best placement for furniture...
Help with room layout / furniture placement
We have recently purchased a house in the UK and I'm...
Need help with family room - layout of furniture and placement of tv
Our family room is long, rectangular and has three...
Unsure of my living room colors!
We recently purchased our first home and the interior...
New apt...please help with living room design
Just moved into new apt and buying furniture piece...
Need help with paint colors (the same thing..grays!)
I need help! I have been trying to find the perfect...
Small Space
Keep neutral colored walls for small spaces. Small...