evergrn0
February 25, 2011 in Photo Questions
What are driveway paving material options?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Annie Thornton
There are three main categories for driveway materials: solid surface, pavers, and aggregate surface.

Solid Surface: This includes concrete and asphalt. Both are pretty durable, and are not the most expensive, nor least expensive, options. Newer concrete driveways can be stamped and stained to mimic other materials. Eventually, concrete driveways will begin to crack. Asphalt is lower maintenance than concrete. However, the black color makes them extremely hot in the summer.

Pavers: In between aggregate and solid surface driveways, driveways made with pavers tend to be the most attractive, as well as the most expensive. This includes brick and cobblestone. Make sure to note that weeds are more likely to sprout in between seams. But you can completely customize the design and materials to match whatever look you are going for. It is the customized result that makes this option so expensive.

Aggregate Surface: Gravel, loose stone, and crushed shells are included here. This is usually the most affordable option, but requires the most maintenance. Since everything is loose, there is not a lot of stability and you may need to constantly add more material or even out the surface.
0 Likes   March 1, 2011 at 5:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Monarch Stone International
Consider being eco-friendly by using recycled/reclaimed stone, such as antique cobblestone for driveways and walkways. When installed on a natural sub base with permeable joints, its the best option for durability which ends up saving money in the long run. No cracks or maintenance, just solid beauty!
0 Likes   April 17, 2012 at 1:50PM
More Discussions
Am I heading in the right direction?
My goal is cottage style with craftsman influences....
Mismatched stain and windows
We have an older home and have remodeled many times,...
Every house deserves a name
Does your house have one? Would you like it to? Please...
adding laminate wood floor to adjacent room with hardwood
I'm trying to find a laminate wood look floor that...
What to do in foyer?
This is the foyer in our front entrance. We typically...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2014 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™